• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ws6duramax

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Nov 21, 2011
    Metamora
    I just recently book a trip to Colorado to hunt Elk for the first time . I have several calibers to choose from , but the rifle I would like to use is a 270 . Some people say it's fine others say it's to small . Out of all my HP rifles it's lightest and most accurate .

The hunt is in November at high elevation , so I like this rifle for packing . I don't reload , so I have to stick with factory loads . Whats a good bullet to look for ? A good strong bullet with good penetration . Or should I look at a different caliber ?

I appreciate any input .

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    There is no reason not to take the 270 for elk no matter what the net says. Personally Id use a Barnes bullet, but there are good options from other companies as well. I would pick up a few box's of hunting style bullets, and let the gun chose the rest.

1mil-high

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 30, 2013
    Indianapolis
    42769 is definitely giving sound advice. Barnes makes some very good projectiles and loaded ammunition. I am partial to their TSX and T-TSX lines, as I have had very good luck with their all copper design. They stay together even through medium barriers (i.e. shoulder blade) and have good ballistic coefficients. It looks like the VOR-TX loaded ammo comes in at least 130 grain bullets as well.

Another good option would be the Winchester ballistic silvertip, which is available in a large number or calibers and weights.

ws6duramax

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Nov 21, 2011
    Metamora
    I wasn't necessarily basing it off the net , rather off what the guide suggested . He said .270 with 150gr at the VERY minimum . I haven't shot anything quite that heavy yet , mostly 130's but the gun has always been sub moa so far . Shots could be in the 400yd range . I have shot well past that , so I'm fairly confident with my abilities , just want to be sure I have a something that hits hard at that distance if the need arises . My other rifles are heavier barreled , so lugging them will be more taxing and they're not quite as accurate . I have way more confidence with the 270 .

There is no reason not to take the 270 for elk no matter what the net says. Personally Id use a Barnes bullet, but there are good options from other companies as well. I would pick up a few box's of hunting style bullets, and let the gun chose the rest.

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    ELK can be tough critters. I've read of Partitions coming apart and failing to penetrate.

I like the idea of the Barnes, but you might end up with the opposite problem at extended ranges. X bullets like some speed to open up properly. Lots of cases of not fully opening at extended ranges.

I'd be looking for a monolithic probably (Barnes TTSX or MRX, Hornady GMX, etc) or a bonded bullet like the Accubond or Woodleigh Weldcore. For elk, you want to stay with heavier bullets within caliber-- 150s+ for 270, 160+s for 7mm, etc.

You are wise for focusing on bullet, not cartridge. Hunting success, to the degree it depends on gear, often boils down to projectile, not rifle or cartridge.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    I wasn't necessarily basing it off the net , rather off what the guide suggested . He said .270 with 150gr at the VERY minimum . I haven't shot anything quite that heavy yet , mostly 130's but the gun has always been sub moa so far . Shots could be in the 400yd range . I have shot well past that , so I'm fairly confident with my abilities , just want to be sure I have a something that hits hard at that distance if the need arises . My other rifles are heavier barreled , so lugging them will be more taxing and they're not quite as accurate . I have way more confidence with the 270 .

Id go with the 150 Nosler partition if you want a 150gr bullet.

sugarcreekbrass

Expert
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Mar 29, 2015
    West central
    My FIL has taken several elk in Colorado with a .270. He doesn't use anything fancy in ammo either. It has been 130 or 150 gr Winchester Power points. I don't think he or any other families members have lost elk with these bullets. I am sure there are better choices available.

drm-hp

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 23, 2019
    Brownsburg
    I like the Barnes TSX and TTSX if they shoot accurately in my firearm. The Nosler Accubond has always shot accurately for me, but I have not killed anything with it. You can find all of these bullets in factory or semi-custom ammo.
    Doug

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    ELK can be tough critters. I've read of Partitions coming apart and failing to penetrate.

I like the idea of the Barnes, but you might end up with the opposite problem at extended ranges. X bullets like some speed to open up properly. Lots of cases of not fully opening at extended ranges.

I'd be looking for a monolithic probably (Barnes TTSX or MRX, Hornady GMX, etc) or a bonded bullet like the Accubond or Woodleigh Weldcore. For elk, you want to stay with heavier bullets within caliber-- 150s+ for 270, 160+s for 7mm, etc.

You are wise for focusing on bullet, not cartridge. Hunting success, to the degree it depends on gear, often boils down to projectile, not rifle or cartridge.

Above is the post to which you should pay the most attention: 150gr TTSX, GMX or Accubond is the kind of solution you want for hunting elk with a 270 Winchester. There is also a 160gr Nosler Partition, but I'm not sure if it's available in a loaded cartridge or only as a reloading component.

NKBJ

at the ark
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2010
    The 160 would be nice if you can shoot it accurately at 400 yards.
    Partitions are just the cats meow.

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    The very first suggestion you received is the best one. Stick with the Barnes if it will shoot well out of your rifle and stick with 130 grains. If not try the Nosler E-tip, Hornady GMX or the Nosler Accubond 130's. There is no reason to shoot 150 grain bullets out of a .270 when using premium bullets and trying to do so with a TTSX or TSX is counterproductive even if your rifle will stabilize it.

ws6duramax

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Nov 21, 2011
    Metamora
    This right here is a wealth of knowledge to say the least !! Exactly the type of insight I was looking for . Thanks for the link . I will pickup some partitions and some Barnes as a few have suggested and get to testing accuracy on some different weights .

Randy Selby / the Real Gunsmith has some opinions and experience.
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=pBDm41duCTo

Top Bottom