Choosing a HP bullet when reloading for your EDC.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bobby

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 14, 2008
    Muncie/New Castle
    How many of you reload not for a cheap plinking load but HPs for the weapon you carry? I am familiar with reloading cheap practice rounds but have not reloaded ammo for a carry weapon yet. Is there a bullet brand you all like? What is out there since I have no idea what is available in HP bullets. I'm off to do research now but I wanted to get everyone's thoughts here too. I'll be reloading for a 9mm Beretta Storm Compact. Thanks!

NKBJ

at the ark
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2010
    I don't really like reloading 9mm so OK I'm a bit biased on this.
    Also, I do not subscribe to the theory that you should worry about reloaded ammo getting you into prosecutorial trouble with a nest feathering lawyer if you have to shoot an assailant. I think the best ammo should be used for the job just like when shooting four legged lifeforms. The gun is just a tool and so is the cartridge.
    Hmm, so what to do? Ask cops. Research on the interseine.

Here's something maybe to look at.
    https://www.wideopenspaces.com/the-best-5-self-defense-ammo-for-9mm-used-by-law-enforcement/

ru44mag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 6, 2013
    There have been several threads on this topic in the past. INGO talked me out of reloading my own self defense ammo. Maybe I am just weak-minded. I'm sure someone can direct you to one of the past threads.

Thread: Defensive carry ammo...

Found one.

Last edited:

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    I don't really like reloading 9mm so OK I'm a bit biased on this.
    Also, I do not subscribe to the theory that you should worry about reloaded ammo getting you into prosecutorial trouble with a nest feathering lawyer if you have to shoot an assailant. I think the best ammo should be used for the job just like when shooting four legged lifeforms. The gun is just a tool and so is the cartridge.
    Hmm, so what to do? Ask cops. Research on the interseine.

Here's something maybe to look at.
    https://www.wideopenspaces.com/the-best-5-self-defense-ammo-for-9mm-used-by-law-enforcement/

Not really an issue here in Indiana, though Mas Ayoob likes to harp about the 10mm case about the guy shooting another guy's dog...then the guy. The case only breezed by the part about the hand loading, as the shooter was already in a sketchy situation with the shooting to begin with and was convicted because he engaged in homicide, not because he reloaded his ammo. But, everyone points this out or uses Mas as the end all, be all on these matters. In reality, each state is different and Mas was applying his knowledge of other states' case law to the reloading situation, which trickles down to "Facebook juries" and nationwide scope forums. People apply their own state's laws or "what I heard from a cop" regarding shootings, much to the disinformation of many.

Also, "I heard from a cop" or "I have a cop buddy that said..." etc... is the weakest, most marginal source of information for shooters and carriers. I cannot tell you how many IMPD goons have tried the "you gotta cover it up, its a concealed carry license" routine on me in public. Ask for an LT and cite state law, they usually give you a wave and tell you to stay out of trouble. Many of my "cop buddies" like to apply their personal views to case law and spout off the most garbage I've heard in some time. One I knew in Ohio when I lived there kept trying to tell me that hollow points in my AR pistol were a no go in Indiana. Only after pressing did he tell me to (expletive deleted) off and walk away. Ask a cop about the state law regarding firearms and how they supercede their tiny craphole county seat laws and you'll get a mad cop because they don't know the answer, or will spout something off because they lost the argument.

I support law enforcement as individuals but as a state actor, pass. They are there to enforce law, not protect people, that is blatantly clear in the behavior of a lot of them (and enough to sour me on cops in general as sources of information). Don't ask a cop.

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    Especially in lighter bullet weights, as they tend to resist over-expansion better than some others.

I'm not a huge fan because you have to drive them AWFULLY fast to get ANY expansion to begin with. Their expansion in common service calibers is kinda mediocre and for the price, there are other bullets available.

Gold Dots work just fine.

Too bad HSTs aren't offered as components

Gold Dots for the win. Inexpensive, readily available and with a street history that's well known.

Federal is starting to release the original Hydroshoks as components now, which stinks because they were like the XTPs (generally needs A LOT of velo to open up and iffy barrier performance). It's like, "Hey Federal, give it up already. I stopped wearing parachute pants in 1989 and Hydroshoks in the mid-90s!"

I like Barnes if I can find them at a clearance price and loaded a ton of mid-range .357 with them. If in a pinch, Sierra's 115gr Powerjacket HP is a decent performer for a second gen hollow point (no barrier performance but will open readily at medium velocity 9mm situations) and I would suggest those for similar price to the XTPs because they don't need the velo to open. I used to make some decent 1000 fps loads that got to 13" in calibrated gel, about .5+" of expansion with moderate recoil and easily shot fast.

NKBJ

at the ark
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2010
    Not really an issue here in Indiana, though Mas Ayoob likes to harp about the 10mm case about the guy shooting another guy's dog...then the guy. The case only breezed by the part about the hand loading, as the shooter was already in a sketchy situation with the shooting to begin with and was convicted because he engaged in homicide, not because he reloaded his ammo. But, everyone points this out or uses Mas as the end all, be all on these matters. In reality, each state is different and Mas was applying his knowledge of other states' case law to the reloading situation, which trickles down to "Facebook juries" and nationwide scope forums. People apply their own state's laws or "what I heard from a cop" regarding shootings, much to the disinformation of many.

Also, "I heard from a cop" or "I have a cop buddy that said..." etc... is the weakest, most marginal source of information for shooters and carriers. I cannot tell you how many IMPD goons have tried the "you gotta cover it up, its a concealed carry license" routine on me in public. Ask for an LT and cite state law, they usually give you a wave and tell you to stay out of trouble. Many of my "cop buddies" like to apply their personal views to case law and spout off the most garbage I've heard in some time. One I knew in Ohio when I lived there kept trying to tell me that hollow points in my AR pistol were a no go in Indiana. Only after pressing did he tell me to (expletive deleted) off and walk away. Ask a cop about the state law regarding firearms and how they supercede their tiny craphole county seat laws and you'll get a mad cop because they don't know the answer, or will spout something off because they lost the argument.

I support law enforcement as individuals but as a state actor, pass. They are there to enforce law, not protect people, that is blatantly clear in the behavior of a lot of them (and enough to sour me on cops in general as sources of information). Don't ask a cop.

The topic in this case is what hollow point ammo to carry.
    Cops have some third party knowledge on what works.
    And isn't it simply amazing what you can learn from people just by asking.
    Myself, reckon I'll make my own. That way I know they have the right contour to always feed reliably, have plenty of weight to make two holes and pop open like a drag chute. And the bullet lube has some DAX pomade in it (petroleum jelly, lanolin and some pool hall perfume) so after shots are fired the air is ever so subtlety sweeter. Esthetics are always important don't you think?

Last edited:

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    The topic in this case is what hollow point ammo to carry.
    Cops have some third party knowledge on what works.
    And isn't it simply amazing what you can learn from people just by asking.
    Myself, reckon I'll make my own. That way I know they have the right contour to always feed reliably, have plenty of weight to make two holes and pop open like a drag chute. And the bullet lube has some DAX pomade in it (petroleum jelly, lanolin and some pool hall perfume) so after shots are fired the air is ever so subtlety sweeter. Esthetics are always important don't you think?

:yesway:

Funny what you can lube bullets with! :D

It's also interesting how some of the stuff that worked forever (i.e. your lead hollowpoint, semi-wadcutters, etc...) that worked great for hunting also seem to work great on two legged varmints too!

Cops sometimes don't even know what they carry. Or in the few cases I've interacted with, "Civilians shouldn't use what we use". I've given up listening to cops unless they are their department's firearms trainer or a detective (who sees what works and doesn't work on the street, unfortunately first hand).

dieselmudder

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 30, 2014
    United States
    I watch American Reloading website, sometimes they have Federal HST pulldowns. I've also bought original Hydra-Shok pulldowns by the 500 there.

Sent from my SM-J727V using Tapatalk

Top Bottom