• fullmetaljesus

Probably smoking a cigar.
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Indy
    Hello all,

Just bought my first reload kit.
    I have a bag full of 44mag brass, but no bullets.

I plan on using the rounds for deer hunting.

I got online to order some bullets buy they come in so many different sizes and my book describes each but I'm unsure which would be best.

Does anyone have any tips for a person eager to learn?

Thanks!

DocIndy

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Mar 30, 2010
    Franklin
    A Hornady 240 gr. XTP is a good bullet to start loading with and are pretty accurate. It would help if we knew what you plan on shooting them in. LoadbooksUSA is a comprehensive collection of data for lots of bullets and powders. Cabela’s has them as well as Midway.

fullmetaljesus

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Indy
    I will be firing them from a marlin 1894.

It seems as though the site hadany different diameters of bullet. I just don't have enough experience to know what I'm looking for.

Admittedly I'm a bit of a mule with a spinning wheel here.

cmann250

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jan 2, 2018
    Land of 300bu corn
    To me, size means diameter in this context. The 44 mag uses .429” diameter bullets.

I second the above, a 240gr XTP out of a rifle is an absolute hammer on deer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fullmetaljesus

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Indy
    Thanks much I really appreciate it.

Now I know what to order.

I'm quite excited to get started tomorrow I have a brass tumbler coming in.

I'm sure I'll be posting more questions in the future.

Hell any suggestions on a good digital powder scale that wont break the bank?

cmann250

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jan 2, 2018
    Land of 300bu corn
    I would suggest buying the best scale you can afford. If this is a serious hobby, a scale is something you literally use for everything and you can’t really outgrow a good digital scale.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sugarcreekbrass

Expert
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Mar 29, 2015
    West central
    I use the 240 gr XTPs in my revolver, but use the 225 gr FTX in my H&R single shot rifle. With both loads, I use Lil'Gun powder. I know there is a lot more people who like the XTPs, but I haven't had any issues with the FTX on deer. I am still waiting on my chance to try the revolver on deer!

billybob44

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    383   0   0
    Sep 22, 2010
    In the Man Cave
    .44 Mag./Special is a GREAT caliber to start with..

Well since you have not ask, and it has not been mentioned, Alliant 2400 and WW-296/H-110 are the only powders that you will ever need for the .44 caliber.

For Deer, and your MAGNUM loads the WW-296 or Hodgdon H-110 will fill the bill. Do NOT load under the advertised load charge with these powders.
    (^^^You Do know that these are the SAME powders? They come out of the same batch, and are just placed in different brand name of containers)

Alliant 2400 will almost get you where the other powders (^^^) will, but you can down load with this powder safely.

Good luck + good loading..Bill.

Last edited:

dekeshooter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 8, 2010
    Bunker Hill
    I've used the 240gr Hornady XTP bullet with great success with several powders. I have had the best luck with Accurate #9 and Alliant 2400. Winchester 296 and Hornady 110 have been good for me too.

Sling10mm

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 12, 2012
    A lot of good advice here. I always just used Winchester White Box 240-gr JSP's, but if I were going to handled for deer, I would use the Hornady 240-gr XTP as well. My preferred powder was Accurate #9, but I use that in a few other calibers as well, so that was a driving factor for me.

markiemark

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Jun 21, 2011
    Liberty, IN
    While a digital scale is nice is still like the old manual balance scale. Dont have to worry about batteries and they seem to work pretty well. Have a rcbs and lee but prefer the rcbs.

fullmetaljesus

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Indy
    My whole set up is rcsb, I just figured digital would be more accurate. Perhaps just run with this balance scale for a bit and see how I do.

Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    I would start out with the cheapest jacketed pills you can find with 2400 or 4227 utilizing the balance beam scale. Do some target shooting and play around awhile. Once your confidence level and skill increases buy some fresh brass, slower burning pow pow, your XTP bullets, and an RCBS charge master combo.

Welcome to hand loading! Warning its an expensive time burglar!

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Seems like every year or so this topic comes up and seems like the usual response is an overwhelming majority of people use a 240gr Hornady XTP over 24.0 of H110. That's what I do, and I've put a couple of 8pt bucks down using that load. Great combination for an accurate bullet that delivers when it hits.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Have hunted with an old Marlin 1894 (microgroove) since it was legal. Hornady JHP on top of 296. Great cartridge/rifle combination at woods ranges, always get full penetration.

Top Bottom