• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • GLOCKMAN23C

Resident Dumbass II
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Feb 8, 2009
    S.E. Indy
    I bought a RCBS 7mm rem mag die set instead of my usual Lee set. The first piece of brass I processed went through without issue. The next two, not so much. Both got stuck, ripping the case rim off. All 3 cases were tumbled and polished, and lubed. I cleaned and lubed the die after the first one got stuck. The next case got immediately stuck. Any suggestions as to my problem? Thanks!

Clay Pigeon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 3, 2016
    Summitville
    What lube are you using? And it's it's a spray lube are you shaking the crap out of it before using and giving it plenty of time for the alcohol to evaporate.The cases should be sticky before you run them in a die.

GLOCKMAN23C

Resident Dumbass II
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Feb 8, 2009
    S.E. Indy
    What lube are you using? And it's it's a spray lube are you shaking the crap out of it before using and giving it plenty of time for the alcohol to evaporate.The cases should be sticky before you run them in a die.

I'm using Lee resizing lube.

p-320.jpg

Old Dog

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 4, 2016
    Central Indiana
    I have loaded 10s of thousands of bottle neck rifle cases and only stuck one, and that was because I got in a hurry and failed to lube the first case into the die that day. I would suggest to double check the brass and make absolutely sure it is 7mm rem mag, same for the die set. Then I would mike an unfired round, a fired round, and the one that did make it through your die. See if there is any major difference in the three. Might see if someone would let you use their 7mm die set to compare. Otherwise, contact RCBS.

GLOCKMAN23C

Resident Dumbass II
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Feb 8, 2009
    S.E. Indy
    I have loaded 10s of thousands of bottle neck rifle cases and only stuck one, and that was because I got in a hurry and failed to lube the first case into the die that day. I would suggest to double check the brass and make absolutely sure it is 7mm rem mag, same for the die set. Then I would mike an unfired round, a fired round, and the one that did make it through your die. See if there is any major difference in the three. Might see if someone would let you use their 7mm die set to compare. Otherwise, contact RCBS.

I picked this set up at a gun show. Appears to have little use, if any. I will double check it and the brass. In the process of getting a case unstuck, I damaged the neck expander on the third try, so it won't screw back onto the decapper.

EDIT: I checked the die and the brass, both are 7mm Rem Mag, one is a Winchester and the other is Remington. The one that went through is marked FC, Federal?

Last edited:

Clay Pigeon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 3, 2016
    Summitville
    I picked this set up at a gun show. Appears to have little use, if any. I will double check it and the brass. In the process of getting a case unstuck, I damaged the neck expander on the third try, so it won't screw back onto the decapper.

EDIT: I checked the die and the brass, both are 7mm Rem Mag, one is a Winchester and the other is Remington. The one that went through is marked FC, Federal?

Does the one that went through the die look like the ones that haven't been sized?
    How are you applying the case lube. With a lube pad or with your fingers?

GLOCKMAN23C

Resident Dumbass II
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Feb 8, 2009
    S.E. Indy
    Does the one that went through the die look like the ones that haven't been sized?
    How are you applying the case lube. With a lube pad or with your fingers?

It appears to be identical, without putting a mic on it. I use a q-tip to apply the lube. The one on the left is the one that went through.

20190331_190541.jpg

BGDave

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    206   0   0
    Sep 15, 2011
    Beech Grove
    Put the lube on your fingers and spin the case in them. Think sun tan lotion. Everywhere, with less on the shoulder to prevent dents. You can still use your die to size with and experiment even without the expander.

Bottle neck rifle cases cause more trouble to new reloaders. It's a learning curve. Letting it dry some wont hurt ether.

Clay Pigeon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 3, 2016
    Summitville
    Put the lube on your fingers and spin the case in them. Think sun tan lotion. Everywhere, with less on the shoulder to prevent dents. You can still use your die to size with and experiment even without the expander.

Bottle neck rifle cases cause more trouble to new reloaders. It's a learning curve. Letting it dry some wont hurt ether.

I would try that also, what I really suggest is you pickup a bottle of Dillon spray lube. you simply shake the crap out of it, take your brass and put it in a box or big ziplock bag and spray it a few times. Stir or shake the brass to fully coat them and then let the alcohol evaporate off and size away. The brass will be sticky after the alcohol evaporates.

JHB

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 7, 2016
    Columbus
    I would try that also, what I really suggest is you pickup a bottle of Dillon spray lube. you simply shake the crap out of it, take your brass and put it in a box or big ziplock bag and spray it a few times. Stir or shake the brass to fully coat them and then let the alcohol evaporate off and size away. The brass will be sticky after the alcohol evaporates.

The only easier way to lube cases is have someone else do it.

BGDave

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    206   0   0
    Sep 15, 2011
    Beech Grove
    This is exactly what I do now, after using pretty much everything else. RCBS case lube (snot) is the hardest to get off.

noylj

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2011
    You know, I have used an RCBS lube pad and case lube for 45 years and NEVER had a stuck case. I won't drop what has worked EVERY time to perfection. Roll about 5-8 cases at a time.

G19G26

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 5, 2008
    Did you take the die apart and clean, clean, clean it out. I use either alcohol or acetone to get rid of manufacturing lube. Lots of times inside is tacky and case lube will not do it's job.

JeepHammer

SHOOTER
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 2, 2018
    SW Indiana
    Not to point out the obvious...
    RCBS with 'Other Than' RCBS case holder?
    *Some* case holders allow the case to insert further into the die than the brand they were designed to work with.

Make darn sure the case holder is the correct one for your brass!
    With a used set, it might be a 'Mix-N-Match' thing going on...

*USED* dies?
    Did you flip them over & check for rust or FOD? (Foreign Objects-Debris)
    Rust will darn sure do a jam with a long belted mag case!
    Debris or damage will aso cause jams.

CLEAN THE VENT HOLE!
    This should be an every use thing, or use a lube too thin to plug up or harden in the hole.

Too much PASTE lube on the first case, VENT HOLE behind lock ring BLOCKED OFF,--- instant vacuum lock for the next brass into the die even if the vent hole wasn't plugged before the first case went in because of paste lube...

When you lube cases, just a touch on the neck, exactly zero on the shoulder,
    A fairly liberal lube of case sides below shoulder.
    The dab on the neck will be PLENTY for the neck & shoulder, keep it mind the neck is a straight wall resize,
    The shoulder is a bump BACK, not a 'Crushing' action from the sides.

The long sides of the case DO need lube, this is where a crap ton of the pressure is going to be exerted, and it's going to be a long, grinding slide against die walls without lube.

Each time you insert a new case, the 'Dab' on the neck is going to be in a different position, and keep the neck/shoulder well lubricated.

AND...
    Then there are the idiot die makers that put a vent in the TOP of the die.
    No primer! Interior of the case already vented! No hydro-lock in air pressure!!!

The vent MUST be into the shoulder of the die to vent the hydro-lock created by the OUTSIDE of the case & lube.
    RCBS isn't likely to screw that up, but they do put vents where lock rings can block them if you aren't paying attention.

JeepHammer

SHOOTER
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 2, 2018
    SW Indiana
    You know, I have used an RCBS lube pad and case lube for 45 years and NEVER had a stuck case. I won't drop what has worked EVERY time to perfection. Roll about 5-8 cases at a time.

You got some FAST FINGERS! ;)

I run somewhere between 600 & 3,000 an hour that need lube, my fingers couldn't keep up so I resort to a spray mister and lube by the 5 gallon bucket full.
    I'm not proud of it, and it makes a mess, but it does work...
    Sponge 'Snot Catchers' under the case feeder crud holes are a must.

A pretty reasonable substitution for Dillon is liquid lanolin & 95-100% IPA (Isopropyl Alcohol).
    Other than the smell (and the PRICE) I can't tell the difference.
    IPA is cheap, and it doesn't take much lanolin at all, so it's real cost effective.

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    Imperial sizing wax applied with fingers works best for me. A can lasts almost forever.

For bulk sizing I'll used the spray on .223 or .308. But for less than a couple hundred cases I use the wax.

Wolfhound

Hired Goon
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Apr 11, 2011
    Henry County
    Imperial sizing wax applied with fingers works best for me. A can lasts almost forever.

For bulk sizing I'll used the spray on .223 or .308. But for less than a couple hundred cases I use the wax.

I started out with Lee sizing lube (messy), then tried several brands of spray on lube (hit and miss/ might have been me, had some stuck cases). Imperial sizing wax is where I ended up and it is by far the best for me and my reloading process. YMMV

Top Bottom