• ...and so much more!
  • sugarcreekbrass

Expert
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Mar 29, 2015
    West central
    I don't remember having any issues with Herters. I was using a RCBS hand priming tool. No experience with Armscor. I had some S&B factory ammo that the cases were splitting, so I just tossed that brass.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I can always tell when I run an S&B through my 550. As soon as I get a crunch from the primer taking the edge off of the pocket, I know for sure that it was just an S&B. Other stuff goes in smoothly but there’s always a crunch with S&B.

bdybdall

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 11, 2012
    Would it help to run them over a primer pocket swager? Maybe they are staked primer pockets.

AmmoManAaron

Master
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Feb 20, 2015
    I-get-around
    S&B is known for having tight primer pockets in both pistol and rifle. I've had a heck of a time with some of their rifle stuff, but I do still load it because I can be a cheap ass at times. Never noticed anything with Herter's or Armscor, but I'm sure I've had a few in my mixed range brass (pistol caliber).

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    S&B is known for having tight primer pockets in both pistol and rifle. I've had a heck of a time with some of their rifle stuff, but I do still load it because I can be a cheap ass at times. Never noticed anything with Herter's or Armscor, but I'm sure I've had a few in my mixed range brass (pistol caliber).

I've noticed that with S&B, but it is great brass. After a reload or two, it loosens up. :D I loved their 9mm brass when I loaded it. The .45 stuff just seemed 'normal' to me, though would give me more primer depth issues than I cared for (like, 1 issue per 20 pieces). Their .38 and .357 brass I work with here and there is great, darn durable and lasts a long time.

Nothing but bad experience loading Herters and Armscor. Cracked necks on first loading, primer pockets wonky, flash holes off center, etc... Similar with Perfecta brass in .223. Awesome brass, just dimensionally weird and depriming gets... interesting. Filled my swear jar with an afternoon of Perfecta. Out of the thousand plus I worked with that afternoon, about 700 were decent and still soldier on, about four loads in so far.

I got sad when Fiocchi started doing the offset flashholes (on purpose or accident on a large number of lots, not sure). I LOVE Fiocchi .223 brass and actually have a standing offer to buy any I find. lol I've actually traded guys at the range two Federal/Remington to one Fiocchi before. Mental illness I guess. :laugh:

ru44mag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 6, 2013
    Would it help to run them over a primer pocket swager? Maybe they are staked primer pockets.

I tried that. Didn't seem to help. I just have a single stage press, and when I run that stuff, then it seems more sensitive to the good brass. I have just separated it out, and will not use it. Maybe I can trade it later. I have a whole coffee can full of NATO 9mm brass I won't use. (Crimped primers) I'm afraid I will break my press trying to mash them in. It's not worth it to me. I would not consider myself brass poor. Just glad to hear it is just not me having the problem.

ru44mag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 6, 2013
    Are they crimped?
    And not to be a smartass, are you using SPP?

:ugh: Thanks for this post. I have spent some time on this, and have found out I am using an antique Pacific Power C press. It was given to me many years ago, and I only set it up and started running it since just before the last election. I have run several thousand rounds through it and only today realized it only came with a LPP. Or that is all I have. :n00b: I did a rather large search and the only thing that looks like it might work is
    RCBS 9550 Universal Primer Arm 2. I have also been looking at hand held priming tools. Just not sure which one.

sugarcreekbrass

Expert
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Mar 29, 2015
    West central
    I love my RCBS hand priming tool. In the past few weeks I have tried using the priming feature on my LCT for 300AAC and 5.56. Even after swaging, it took a lot of force to seat primers. I got tired fighting it, so I got the hand primer and had zero issues.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    That's the trouble with getting long out of production things (antiques). I believe Hornady bought out Pacific many years ago. As long as you can get shell holders for the calibers you need and the press works ok for sizing, belling, seating and crimping your reloads, I'd just get a hand held primer seater. I use the Hornady hand primer, but any of the top brands are good.

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    I've noticed that with S&B, but it is great brass. After a reload or two, it loosens up. :D I loved their 9mm brass when I loaded it. The .45 stuff just seemed 'normal' to me, though would give me more primer depth issues than I cared for (like, 1 issue per 20 pieces). Their .38 and .357 brass I work with here and there is great, darn durable and lasts a long time.

Nothing but bad experience loading Herters and Armscor. Cracked necks on first loading, primer pockets wonky, flash holes off center, etc... Similar with Perfecta brass in .223. Awesome brass, just dimensionally weird and depriming gets... interesting. Filled my swear jar with an afternoon of Perfecta. Out of the thousand plus I worked with that afternoon, about 700 were decent and still soldier on, about four loads in so far.

I got sad when Fiocchi started doing the offset flashholes (on purpose or accident on a large number of lots, not sure). I LOVE Fiocchi .223 brass and actually have a standing offer to buy any I find. lol I've actually traded guys at the range two Federal/Remington to one Fiocchi before. Mental illness I guess. :laugh:

I've noticed the tight S&B pockets when decapping also.

I suspect they went tight because they tend to load on the hot side for factory ammo.

ru44mag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 6, 2013
    That's the trouble with getting long out of production things (antiques). I believe Hornady bought out Pacific many years ago. As long as you can get shell holders for the calibers you need and the press works ok for sizing, belling, seating and crimping your reloads, I'd just get a hand held primer seater. I use the Hornady hand primer, but any of the top brands are good.

The press works great with all my Lee dies, and the Lee shell holders fit perfect. Priming actually is not a problem except for certain cases. I did just order an RCBS hand priming tool earlier tonight. And yes, the press actually had a sticker on it that said "By Hornady".

Top Bottom