• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • abeguzmanmarine

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Feb 28, 2017
    TERRE HAUTE
    I've spent the last 6 months or so accumulating everything I need to reload. I have of course watched videos and read forums to get a good idea of what I need. That being said I would like to learn how to reload from an experienced reloader rather than Youtube. I want the hands on teaching and knowledge that only comes with experience and face to face teaching. If anyone would be willing to teach me and my son reloading sometime this year I would gladly pay them for their time. We live on the west side of Indy, in Avon. Please PM me if your willing.
    Thanks
    Abe

singlesix

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, In
    Reload what? Shotgun shells, pistol round, rifle? Once we know you'll get many offers. INGO is a great place. Also may be helpful if you let us know what reloader you have.

fullmetaljesus

Probably smoking a cigar.
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Indy
    I gotta say I've asked a few questions here and they have been very helpful. I haven't started yet, but I feel much better about getting started.

Doublehelix

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jun 20, 2015
    Westfield
    Agree with @singlesix . What are you planning on reloading? What type of equipment did you purchase?

That will help us decide if we can help or not.

Thanks, best of luck, and welcome to the world of handloading!!!

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    I suggest that you get a good reloading manual. The best ones have step-by-step instructions on how to reload. I like the Speer manual for this. If you still have questions after that, you can try to find a reloading class near you. If you are like most of us, you'll always be learning.

abeguzmanmarine

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Feb 28, 2017
    TERRE HAUTE
    here's some pics of my setup so far:

icQNsXD.jpg

59hxOI0.jpg

S0cmu5P.jpg

EGLWAI0.jpg

abeguzmanmarine

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Feb 28, 2017
    TERRE HAUTE
    I will be starting off with 30/30, 45/70, 45LC, 8x56. I have the manuals, watched the videos. But I dont have the experience that of someone who has been reloading for many years. No books, or videos can teach you that. That is why I prefer one on one. Just my opinion. thanks Aaron for the offer.

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    when I read this....

I have of course watched videos and read forums

I was gonna say this...

I suggest that you get a good reloading manual. The best ones have step-by-step instructions on how to reload. I like the Speer manual for this. If you still have questions after that, you can try to find a reloading class near you. If you are like most of us, you'll always be learning.

So I'll just add:

The Lee book is also good.

Forums and youtube are good for answering specific questions about equipment, but not so much for a ground up foundation of understanding about reloading.

-rvb

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    Reloading metallic cartridges is a "simple" 4-step process:

1) Resize and deprime case
    2) Seat a new primer
    3) Charge with powder
    4) Seat a new bullet

The devil, as they say, is in the details. Books and videos can teach and even illustrate, but I understand wanting to have someone right there to help guide you through making those first rounds. I had the advantage of a mentor and have also mentored a few people in loading ammo for the first time.

When you're ready, shoot me a PM and I'll come show you the basics. I won't charge you a fee, but hopefully someday you or your son can help someone else get started. The reloading community tends to be made up of some pretty decent people.

abeguzmanmarine

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Feb 28, 2017
    TERRE HAUTE
    when I read this....

I was gonna say this...

So I'll just add:

The Lee book is also good.

Forums and youtube are good for answering specific questions about equipment, but not so much for a ground up foundation of understanding about reloading.

-rvb

I have the "Hornady Handbook of Cartridge Reloading" "Tenth Edition"

TWEAKD4

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 31, 2012
    NE Indiana
    I just started reloading late last year. I pretty much learned everything from manuals and watching Johnny's reloading bench on YouTube. He has a beginner series that is very long but goes step by step.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    I think the hardest part of reloading pistol ammo is getting the dies adjusted just the way that they need to be. Everything else is pretty much doing the same thing over and over consistently. With bottle neck rifle cartridges, the biggest PIA to me is preparing the brass.

JeepHammer

SHOOTER
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 2, 2018
    SW Indiana
    I would suggest to you what I suggest to my students,
    Buy or download a manual and read it.

The manual will lay out the process in an organized manner, and it will have details that videos & internet forums leave out.

-----------

There are two schools of reloading, the "If it fits & goes BOOM!" Bunch,
    And the "Measure everything with a micrometer" bunch.

I would suggest falling somewhere in the middle when starting,
    Buy a decent caliper to measure with, buy a case gauge, particularly for bottle necked rifle calibers.

This is a link to L.E. Wilson case gauge use for bottle necked rifle cartridges.
    Bottle necked rifle cartridges INDEX in the rifle chamber from the 'Datum Line', this gauge gives you a Datum Line index to measure your cases so they fit in the chamber correctly,
    And it has minimum & maximum 'Safe' tolerances ground right into it.

Link: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=RuJYpm-qplQ

This explains what & where the Datum Line is on a case...

DatumPoint_zps8j7sg7xk.jpg

There is also a minimum & maximum case length gauge ground into Wilson case gauge.

Getting the case to fit the firearm is the first step in reloading, and this little gauge makes die set up & case inspection so much easier!

It also gives you a Datum Line so you can measure the case shoulder set back in the event your cases DON'T fit the chamber, it let's you diagnose what is wrong so you can fix it...

Another use is 'Go/NoGo' gauge for loaded rounds, a final inspection.
    Sometimes excess crimping, bullet not seating or bending the mouth of the case happens will make the cartridge NOT fit the chamber.
    If the loaded round drops into the gauge like it's supposed to, then chances are VERY GOOD the loaded round won't have issues in the firearm.

Last edited:

abeguzmanmarine

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Feb 28, 2017
    TERRE HAUTE
    I would suggest to you what I suggest to my students,
    Buy or download a manual and read it.

The manual will lay out the process in an organized manner, and it will have details that videos & internet forums leave out.

-----------

There are two schools of reloading, the "If it fits & goes BOOM!" Bunch,
    And the "Measure everything with a micrometer" bunch.

I would suggest falling somewhere in the middle when starting,
    Buy a decent caliper to measure with, buy a case gauge, particularly for bottle necked rifle calibers.

This is a link to L.E. Wilson case gauge use for bottle necked rifle cartridges.
    Bottle necked rifle cartridges INDEX in the rifle chamber from the 'Datum Line', this gauge gives you a Datum Line index to measure your cases so they fit in the chamber correctly,
    And it has minimum & maximum 'Safe' tolerances ground right into it.

Link: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=RuJYpm-qplQ

This explains what & where the Datum Line is on a case...

DatumPoint_zps8j7sg7xk.jpg

There is also a minimum & maximum case length gauge ground into Wilson case gauge.

Getting the case to fit the firearm is the first step in reloading, and this little gauge makes die set up & case inspection so much easier!

It also gives you a Datum Line so you can measure the case shoulder set back in the event your cases DON'T fit the chamber, it let's you diagnose what is wrong so you can fix it...

Another use is 'Go/NoGo' gauge for loaded rounds, a final inspection.
    Sometimes excess crimping, bullet not seating or bending the mouth of the case happens will make the cartridge NOT fit the chamber.
    If the loaded round drops into the gauge like it's supposed to, then chances are VERY GOOD the loaded round won't have issues in the firearm.

thank you for this information. very helpful

fullmetaljesus

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Indy
    How tight do the casing tolerances need to be.
    If the book says 45acp needs to be .888 will .892(or other close variant) work or does it need to be dead on balls accurate?

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    How tight do the casing tolerances need to be.
    If the book says 45acp needs to be .888 will .892(or other close variant) work or does it need to be dead on balls accurate?
    I never measured straight walled pistol cases and never did any case prep. I was doing precision pistol shooting for decades and required sub 3" ten shot groups at 50 yards. The most important factor for accuracy, regarding components, was the bullet (especially the base of the bullet for cast bullets). It is important to seat the bullet to the recommended length and make sure that they will feed through the magazine. Bottle neck rifle brass is a different story. I trimmed to minimum length and made the primer pockets uniform after removing any crimp. I think you are overthinking this a little for straight walled pistol cartridges.

Last edited:

fullmetaljesus

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Indy
    I never measured straight walled pistol cases and never did any case prep. I was doing precision pistol shooting for decades and required sub 3" ten shot groups at 50 yards. The most important factor for accuracy, regarding components, was the bullet (especially the base of the bullet for cast bullets). It is important to seat the bullet to the recommended length and make sure that they will feen through the magazine. Bottle neck rifle brass is a different story. I trimmed to minimum length and made the primer pockets uniform after removing any crimp. I think you are overthinking this a little for straight walled pistol cartridges.

That's the kind of answer I was looking for.

Thank you

Top Bottom