• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dieselmudder

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 30, 2014
    United States
    I've heard over the years different people say this ammo is dirty, or that ammo is clean, just wanted opinions on what brands you all think are dirtier than others.

Sent from my SM-J727V using Tapatalk

AGarbers

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Martinsville
    I hear about and have experienced this on reloads for cowboy action shooting. The theory is that with reduced loads the brass doesn't balloon out and seal the chamber and cylinder fouling results. Supposedly heavier loads cause the brass to expand out more so there is less fouling. Some shooters like the .44-40 over the .45 Colt because the .44-40 has a thinner throat/neck so it seals better and there is less cylinder fouling. I have to admit, my .45 Colt brass gets pretty dirty but not enough to matter during a match and I clean all my brass before reloading.

crewchief888

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 13, 2016
    NWI
    i havent bought or fired any factory ammo in over 20 years, but "back in the day" remington UMC (yellow box) seemed to be the dirtiest i tried. winchester white box seemed to be the cleanest.

FWIW the only thing i load anymore is LSWC in 45acp with universal

:cheers:

Usmccookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 28, 2017
    nwi
    I tried the Remington brown box... not sure the name. But our was$2/ box cheaper than blazer brass yesterday.

Dirty, spit out lots of unburned powder, slight keyhole at 15 yards. BUT no ammo induced malfunctions. 500 rounds/ 4 guns/ 2 hours.

Blazer brass has my vote for best ammo/ cost.

JeepHammer

SHOOTER
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 2, 2018
    SW Indiana
    I've heard over the years different people say this ammo is dirty, or that ammo is clean, just wanted opinions on what brands you all think are dirtier than others.

Sent from my SM-J727V using Tapatalk

'Dirty' is a relative term...
    Depends on if the Propellant makes fine, dry soot or greasy/oily residue that burns down and sticks to the firearm like plating.

Wolf, Bear, all that import ammo makes a mess.

With American made ammo, Winchester White Box (WWB), particularly rifle ammo, is greasy and burns down the residue making the firearm hard to clean.
    Winchester 748 was the standard powder for a lot of reloaders for years, but no one ever described 748 as 'Clean'.
    Good, consistent powder, a little temp sensitive, but consistent, if 'Dirty'.

You can't convince people of this, but primer will have an effect on the propellant burn and therefore how much residue the propellant leaves behind.
    A high initial pressure pulse I'll swell the brass faster sealing it to the chamber walls, and you see less residue left in the firearm.
    A sloppy chamber will always 'Pass Gas' no matter what ammo you use.

I generally don't pay a lot of attention since I invested in cleaning tools that make the job easier,
    But firearms with a gas system I generally try to stay away from Propellant that produce greasy residue that bakes into hard carbon.
    AR rifles are a particular concern since hard carbon in the gas port/tube is difficult to remove and it doesn't take much to cause cycling issues.

russc2542

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Oct 24, 2015
    Columbus
    'Dirty' is a relative term...
    Depends on if the Propellant makes fine, dry soot or greasy/oily residue that burns down and sticks to the firearm like plating.

Also depends on the firearm itself. Hotter/higher pressure flames for longer times tend to better burn propellant. All other things being equal, longer barrels help, as do locked-breech actions (vs simple blowback). Faster burning powder has the same effect. My Bond Arms Bullpup doesn't get much dirt inside but looks like someone let off a brass-colored glitter bomb inside after a trip to the range (It's rough on brass).

Anything gas-operated or gas-delayed is going to be dirter than gas-piston-operated, within that, short pistons tend to vent externally vs long pistons not as often.

UMC is about the dirtiest factory stuff I've seen.
    WWB is OK
    Blazer is OK-dirty
    S&B is pretty clean but leaves brass sparkles

I have more notes in a safe place.

Top Bottom