Join INGunOwners For Free

User Info Menu

New .45 ACP ammunition

Dave Lauck of D&L Sports has developed a new bullet for the .45 ACP. There will be two versions, one for revolvers and one for semi auto pistols. I have received some "revolver" rounds, and they function just fine in my Colt Officer's ACP. The bullet is a rounded ogive "semi wadcutter" type bullet, and coated with some type of advanced coating to prevent barrel leading and excessive smoke. I recently fired these rounds and have had no malfunctions. None. The bullet weight is 200 grains and is traveling at approximately 900 fps. The sharp cutting shoulder produces a "wadcutter" type hole in the target, and does not expand. This round is a stout fella, and can be used for target and personal defense use.

The ammunition is being produced by a company named Load Up Ammunition (Load Up Ammunition|home) and the semi auto bullet is in the last stages of development and will be ready for sale in a month or so. I believe that this ammunition is a step forward. The company producing the ammunition is also owned and operated by American veterans.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by LCSOSgt11; 04-19-2019 at 07:44.
    LCSOSgt11
    "May God protect those when in mortal combat, remember FRONT SIGHT, PRESS.

User Info Menu

I mean it would be cool if the cases were cannelured to prevent crimp jump in a revolver. But I would never use a non expanding bullet for personal protection (at least in a handgun) with HST (a proven cartridge) you can get it for 50 cents a round, what benefit does this offer if any at all...
    Quote Originally Posted by MCgrease08 View Post
    Dude, from what I can tell from your photos, you don't do anything bargin bin.

User Info Menu

Interesting. Thanks for posting!
    The Schofield Kid: Well, I guess they had it... comin'.
    Will Munny: We all got it comin', Kid.

User Info Menu

In my own opinion, unless one uses the old H&G #68 type SWC bullets, this is a round for those that eschew HPs and SPs. I can see the use here in states that "ban" HPs, such a New Jersey, etc. and offers another option. Again, the sharp cutting shoulder is the key here. I would agree that the cases should be cannelured, however, in what little experience I have had so far, there have been no issues. I would guess that production rounds may be cannelured, however, I am not sure.

LCSOSgt11
    "May God protect those when in mortal combat, remember FRONT SIGHT, PRESS.