• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ziggidy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 7, 2018
    Ziggidyville
    Well, I finally broke down and picked up an LCPII yesterday (gift cards I've collected), but have not brought to the range yet. I know there have been a few discussions about the LPCII, but I am specifically inquiring what ammo y'all use; both range ammo and defensive ammo.

What has worked best for you? I'd like to narrow my selections based on actual users. Also what to stay away from, what problem ammo or very dirty ammo you have used.

TIA.....

BTW....Happy Resurrection Day!

PaulKersey

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Sep 16, 2012
    Evansville
    Happy Resurrection Day! Regarding your question, it seems that while .380 will never be the equivalent of the larger calibers, it can be an effective round. However, based on the testing that I have seen online, ammo choice is more critical in this caliber than in the others. I think the general agreement among those who have tested it is that the 90 grain Hornady XTP bullet, in its many different loadings, works well. I like the Hornady American Gunner series, because they are 25 round boxes, and my local Academy store usually stocks them. As far as range ammo goes, I shoot a M&P Bodyguard and have had good results with whatever is on sale in a brass cased fmj. I have not shot steel cased ammo in a 380.

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Off the Grid In Tennessee
    Well, I finally broke down and picked up an LCPII yesterday (gift cards I've collected), but have not brought to the range yet. I know there have been a few discussions about the LPCII, but I am specifically inquiring what ammo y'all use; both range ammo and defensive ammo.

What has worked best for you? I'd like to narrow my selections based on actual users. Also what to stay away from, what problem ammo or very dirty ammo you have used.

TIA.....

BTW....Happy Resurrection Day!

May I suggest watching Paul Harrell 's videos on 380 self defense ammo, very enlightening and entertaining as well, if I recall this one of the rare instances where he actually preferred hyper ammo.

Bennettjh

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Columbus
    I have an original LCP. 95 grn. FMJ reloads for range use, 90 grn Hornady Critical Defense for carry. Never had any hiccups.:twocents:

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    I have an lcp custom and have fed it quite a variety of factory loads. For me, at least, I really like Herters for factory target loads when im not running my reloads. They have been clean and the most accurate of what I've used, other than my reloads. That includes wwb, Fiocchi, federal, and Aguilla. For personal protection i usually run Federal hst. I have had zero issues out of any of them ive tried

Ziggidy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 7, 2018
    Ziggidyville
    Thanks.....this has narrowed it down for me. I'm going to pick up some of mentioned this week. Never had a .380 so I need to get some. Hopefully I can get to the range this weeks also.

Again, thanks for narrowing it down for me....

1nderbeard

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Apr 3, 2017
    Hendricks County
    I have the LCPI and have shot through just one box of the fiochi HP ammo with no malfunctions. I have had a few instances of the first round not wanting to go in to battery, but I'm sure you're familiar with that issue. No issues after that.

For self defense, I've read/watched that HP .380 doesn't have the penetration numbers (per FBI gel block tests) that make it "adequate," so I'll likely use FMJ rounds after I shoot through the HP stuff.

Ndavid45

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 83.3%
    10   2   0
    Apr 29, 2019
    Indianapolis
    Mine handles everything from tula at the range to hornaday critical defense for carry. I have had every cheap range ammo I could find thru it without an issue.

Top Bottom