• ...and so much more!
  • Beowulf

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Mar 21, 2012
    Brownsburg
    I just got into lead casting to feed my cannons, and by just, I mean my first attempt was last night. It went super smooth and we managed to turn 20 pounds of overpriced lead from RotoMetals into 21 30mm slugs for the smaller cannon (with a little left over). I think I'm hooked as doing the melting and pouring was almost as fun as a day out at the range.

I have 50 more pounds on it's way from eBay at a slightly better rate ($1.6/lb shipped), but it seems to have gotten itself stuck in shipping somewhere. Either way, I'm realizing that if I can find it locally for a better price, I'd be dumb not to.

So, where is everyone sourcing their lead? Or are most folks getting dirty scrap (range scrap, wheel weights, linotype, etc) and cleaning it themselves?

I've got a Lyman Mag25 smelter and it seems to work pretty well, though it wouldn't be really great for cleaning up lead. I guess I'd get a bigger pot for that.

Just for fun, here is video of my very first pour.

[video=youtube;VKQzZLOsYHM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VKQzZLOsYHM[/video]

And here's the results of the night's work:

6JU_YdNSVOuHWVqamVSr771tEkxsvcIrykSYs-c1KIhEFMFdndpOTFDT134v40eWi0L6EsCNBu1-MtMD2L_BDoR3WJti9nlzt0BDyMxDMqhRnyXaOVjPxooU_F2Hd6  UD36iqXOu6VC1tMiUBMA7xU3MUHCJF70NSdj7SqkfKZegB8I02  rk7SNZ3LGbtrLOn7jol_xFg_veSDvQ41diCWbWyQUVPzBuWOuP  m_Vr7roK3d_52hWuEjPQcH0-ZLxaPpqPrubDzz4MrSXEkGavTHCpUTHFyqCiVXxy8veaCJ7Soz  AdR9wOvbWi_ddGRs7S0TzTSNGh4KVA18ZcIZigJ59cqMcOhjX3  d_GpKlFWy18LG4ID1wHmdqwbG6kxWbHKTyeEG2XSDttmza7aeW  a2eGEi1fbixzd_JLiiLpJtp1ekSRRc85mPlMrgRM0sc5infnEu  6LuTbkTp_LV8vcpiFbG6OHYR3cTwHeL81fV1gImfkXxUO0epxB  qGEc_ROkcfjqxNpM9uZTLZBuOODH-98ONLGKbbtzsu7-doHhyDY-CaSYxS9sd6Jem6_p255JDgLMkgRj5EXC2MUUY2gRB4Cbt7zTQZ  bntsUSk2hhgRofHWZTIe-BzRJCAtMd0QkJZQZSVH9YCJ5qjCqW0heSBTbmvq6t1a0rklcJ=  w960-h720-no

red_zr24x4

UA#190
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Walkerton
    Check the scrap yards and tire shops, that's where we get most of ours.
    Be warned though, you need to sort it. Anything with a " Z" on it will be zinc, and you want to remove it. It will screw up a pot of lead.
    If you're in doubt about it being zinc, take a set of side cuts and try to cut it. If its lead it will smash / start to cut, if zinc it will be hard.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Like red says check the scrap yards, I use a Harbor Freight dutch oven to cook the scrap. Segregate your lead by how hard it is, and label the ingots afterwards. Been doing this for 45 years and have used everything from wheel weights to cobalt 60 containers.

2ridgebacks

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 22, 2009
    Floyds Knobs
    I have indoor range scrap. Fairly clean. Located in New Albany. I would be glad to meet you somewhere in the middle. Price is negotiable pending amount purchased.
    ALL proceeds support the youth program at my club.

Top Bottom