• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Old Bear

Greyman Apprentice
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Aug 19, 2016
    Newton County
    I just picked up my 6th Swedish Mauser and I think it's time to start looking at reloading for these rifles. I've been reloading for my handguns for years (.380,9mm,.45acp and .38spl) but never loaded for rifle before. Any advice on equipment, powder or pet loads would be greatly appreciated:)

Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Oct 3, 2008
    On a hill in Perry C
    Biggest piece of advice I'll give is check your load table closely. Them old Swedes aren't as strong as more modern actions so need a milder load.
    I use Lee Collet dies for mine. Cases last forever, no lube needed. Bad thing is more than likely you'll need a separate batch of cases for each rifle.
    I've found a mid range load of IMR4831 under a 140 gr Sierra Game King to be a good load that's been accurate in several of mine.

Old Bear

Greyman Apprentice
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Aug 19, 2016
    Newton County
    Thank you for the advice. I plan on staying within the original M41 Swedish military load specs. I've been shooting US factory FMJ loads out of these for years without any signs of over pressure or headspace issues. I have been staying away from the hotter European loads with the exception of the PPU 139gr soft points. They seem pretty mild even by American standards.

Since I have never loaded rifle ammo before, I'm pretty much starting at the beginners level for this. My mil spec rifles are going to be loaded strictly for accuracy at the range. I do have one bubu'ed up "sporter" that I want to work up some target/hunting loads for. Still keeping it safe but lethal on deer size game.

I bought my first M96 (all matching #'s) over 30 years ago and have been in love with the Swedish line of Mausers every since. I want them handed down in my family for generations to come. I keep telling myself that one of these days I will buy a "modern" 6.5x55 but I can't quite bring myself to do it. It's kind of like cheating on the love of your life for the cute little check-out girl down at the Quickie-Mart:):

SSE

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 16, 2010
    Tippecanoe Co.
    I like the Lee collet die as well.
    I like ball powder in everything and have had good luck with WW 760 and H-380.
    None of my Swedes like the lighter bullets so I stick with the 140 gr. for accurate loads.

Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Oct 3, 2008
    On a hill in Perry C
    I like the Lee collet die as well.
    I like ball powder in everything and have had good luck with WW 760 and H-380.
    None of my Swedes like the lighter bullets so I stick with the 140 gr. for accurate loads.

I've noticed the same thing with mine. My guess is the loonnnnggggg leade in the mil-surps is a big problem with the lighter bullets.

dereedy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 11, 2013
    Thank you for the link. It sounds like Armslist is probably where I need to go. I want to respect the policies here so I deleted my posting.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom