Ring around lead round after chambering???

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Spike_351

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2012
    Scott County
    20190508_160604.jpg 20190508_160604.jpg 20190508_160604.jpg 20190508_160604.jpg

I have been working on casting some of my first .45 rounds for my Para expert 1911 and I'm having some issues that I'm hoping those with more experience can help with. The bullet is a 230 gr. TC. The first 10-20 rounds I loaded functioned fine and ran better than expected, however I am running into an issue with the bullet being a tight fit no matter what OAL I have tried, all the way from minimum to max. Any time I chamber a round to check fitment I find that it has this ring around the base of nose just before the mouth of the case, sometimes I'm able to remove the round easily, and some have became stuck slightly. I have sized and lubed, checked and rechecked and I'm at a loss for what I may be doing wrong. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Spike_351

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2012
    Scott County
    Looks like the bullet is seated to long.

No, I believe I managed to rule that one out, same problem at minimum length. I just recently read about article on throating issues on 1911's that I believe may be the problem. My Google fu came up with nothing when I tried to research the issue

JHB

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 7, 2016
    Columbus
    It looks like the bullet is touching the lands. Shorten the overall length till the case is even with the start of the angle on the bullet, change bullet profiles, or throat the barrel.

AmmoManAaron

Master
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Feb 20, 2015
    I-get-around
    It looks like the bullet is touching the lands. Shorten the overall length till the case is even with the start of the angle on the bullet, change bullet profiles, or throat the barrel.

^^^Pretty much this^^^

Some guns simply will not tolerate much of any of the full diameter portion of the bullet protruding past the case mouth. I like the accuracy that type of throat tends to give, so when I have this problem, I change either the seating depth or change bullets (last resort if the problem can't be solved with seating changes).

See the distance between the case mouth and the imprinted ring on your bullet caused by the barrel? I would cut that distance in half (by seating deeper) and see what that does. If it passes the "plunk test" I think you will like the accuracy when you fire those rounds. Be sure you are at or near the starting powder charge if you end up having to go a little below the minimum published OAL.

If the "plunk test" result is questionable, give it a little firmer taper crimp and try it again.

Michigan Slim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2014
    Fort Wayne
    It looks to me that your bullets are fat and hitting the end of the chamber. Not on the rifling. The mouth of the case should be hitting, not the bullet. Measure the bullets with your calipers. Should be .452 max diameter. My Springfield had the same problem. I started using a Lee Factory Crimp Die. Kind of a cheat to sizing your bullets.
    Also, as has been suggested, load the bullet to the start of the nose angle. This will possibly increase your pressure some so keep an eye out for pressure signs. I'm sure that with loading lead bullets your not at the top of the charts with your load though.

noylj

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2011
    If you change the COL, work up the load again from start.
    Inspect the barrel for lead deposits.
    Be sure there is enough case mouth flare before seating the bullet and only use enough taper "crimp" so round chambers.
    Do the plunk test:
    The solution to chambering problems is to determine the cause:
    Take the barrel out of the gun. Drop rounds in until you find one that won't chamber. Take that round and "paint" the bullet and case black with Magic Marker or other marker. Drop round in barrel (or gage) and rotate it back-and-forth a few times.
    Remove and inspect the round:
    1) Scratches in the ink on bullet--COL is too long
    2) Scratches in the ink on edge of the case mouth--insufficient crimp
    3) Scratches in the ink just below the case mouth--too much crimp, you're crushing the case
    4) Scratches in the ink on case at base of bullet--bullet seated crooked due to insufficient case expansion (not case mouth flare) or improper seating stem fit
    5) Scratches in the ink on case just above extractor groove--case bulge not removed during sizing. May need a bulge buster.

Attachments

• Plunk test picture.jpg
      Plunk test picture.jpg
      7.8 KB · Views: 13

Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    Looks like the bullet is too fat and is hitting the shoulder in the barrel where the case sits. Check bullet diameter. Did you size them after you cast them? Check case length. Try seating deeper.

Top Bottom