• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ru44mag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 6, 2013
    A friend just fell into 5000 cast boolits and is going to give me half. Problem is they need to be lubed. I have looked at so many recipes the last couple days my head is spinning. I want something simple, and was leaning towards the beeswax, Vaseline, and maybe a little lanolin. Not sure of the amounts and was wondering if anyone had the best ever recipe....

The Felix lube formula looks promising, but it is just a little bit complicated.

AngryRooster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Outside the coup
    Another vote for powder coating. It can be done with little investment. Also, the Lee Alox tumble lube works well without needing anything extra. Kind of depends on future plans. If you will need to continue to lube in the future, go with the powder. If this is a one shot deal then try the Alox.

John3354

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 29, 2018
    INDIANAPOLIS
    Another vote for powder coating. It can be done with little investment.

Agreed. Go to Goodwill and pick up a toaster over for $8, use a little wire mesh to make a basket, start with Harbor Freight powder coat for $8 and you are good to go. Super easy, and I have never got any leading when powder coating. Not even when running full bore .357 Magnum loads over H110 or 2400.

dsol

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    May 28, 2009
    Jeffersonville
    Where are you? I cast and shoot 38/357 and have an old Lyman 45 lube press with a .358 sizer. If you are anywhere in the Jeffersonville (Louisville Ky) area, you would be welcome to come over to my garage and run your bullets through it. I will have to go take a look at the brand of moly lube I use and would only ask you replace a stick if you finish one off.

ru44mag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 6, 2013
    Where are you? I cast and shoot 38/357 and have an old Lyman 45 lube press with a .358 sizer. If you are anywhere in the Jeffersonville (Louisville Ky) area, you would be welcome to come over to my garage and run your bullets through it. I will have to go take a look at the brand of moly lube I use and would only ask you replace a stick if you finish one off.

Thanks for the offer, but I'm over an hour NNE of Indy.

Thanks to the others. I spent a lot of time reading on the Cast boolits.com sight. It appears that everyone on the site uses their own recipe. Literally hundreds of different recipes. I will look into the powder coating as well.

ru44mag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 6, 2013
    Lee Liquid Alox and a Lee Factory Crimp Die. Lube, let dry overnight, load. Crimp and size at the same time. Done.

That was a question I had. As long as the bullet is not too large, would running it through my Lee Factory Crimp Die be adequate.

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    I have a bunch of cast 45lc bullets that are sticky with what I suspect is old, dried alox. If I want to powder coat them instead, I have to remove the alox residue, right? Any tips? I was thinking about wet tumbler and some dish soap.

Michigan Slim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2014
    Fort Wayne
    That was a question I had. As long as the bullet is not too large, would running it through my Lee Factory Crimp Die be adequate.

You bet it would. As a caster with limited time I don't have or want to take the time to use a lube/sizer. The rounds we make are accurate enough to hit a steel plate at 150 yards consistently with a lever rifle in .357.

Michigan Slim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2014
    Fort Wayne
    I have a bunch of cast 45lc bullets that are sticky with what I suspect is old, dried alox. If I want to powder coat them instead, I have to remove the alox residue, right? Any tips? I was thinking about wet tumbler and some dish soap.

Mineral spirits.

Top Bottom