Join INGunOwners For Free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

User Info Menu

Bullet lube recipe???

A friend just fell into 5000 cast boolits and is going to give me half. Problem is they need to be lubed. I have looked at so many recipes the last couple days my head is spinning. I want something simple, and was leaning towards the beeswax, Vaseline, and maybe a little lanolin. Not sure of the amounts and was wondering if anyone had the best ever recipe....

The Felix lube formula looks promising, but it is just a little bit complicated.

Sharpshooter

User Info Menu

Cast boolits.com- all you'd ever want to know and more!

User Info Menu

I believe if you powder coat the lead you don't have to lube.
    Proud to be an American; Honored to be a Veteran.

JHB
    Plinker

User Info Menu

Do they need to be sized?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JHB View Post
    Do they need to be sized?
    Probably. I did not get a consistent .358 all the way around the bullet. I was looking at sizing dies last night as well.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by woodsie57 View Post
    Cast boolits.com- all you'd ever want to know and more!
    ^^^This--And when you are there look at the "Coatings" section..Powder Coat and you will never want to libe again..Bill.
    "It's more important to have a gun in your hand than a cop on the phone".

NRA Life Member since 1976+Outdoor Sportsman

JHB
    Plinker

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by billybob44 View Post
    ^^^This--And when you are there look at the "Coatings" section..Powder Coat and you will never want to libe again..Bill.

Power coating is like sliced bread one of the best things that happened to cast pistol bullets.

User Info Menu

Another vote for powder coating. It can be done with little investment. Also, the Lee Alox tumble lube works well without needing anything extra. Kind of depends on future plans. If you will need to continue to lube in the future, go with the powder. If this is a one shot deal then try the Alox.
    Less & less amused every day...
    INGO #467

Plinker

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by AngryRooster View Post
    Another vote for powder coating. It can be done with little investment.
    Agreed. Go to Goodwill and pick up a toaster over for $8, use a little wire mesh to make a basket, start with Harbor Freight powder coat for $8 and you are good to go. Super easy, and I have never got any leading when powder coating. Not even when running full bore .357 Magnum loads over H110 or 2400.

User Info Menu

Where are you? I cast and shoot 38/357 and have an old Lyman 45 lube press with a .358 sizer. If you are anywhere in the Jeffersonville (Louisville Ky) area, you would be welcome to come over to my garage and run your bullets through it. I will have to go take a look at the brand of moly lube I use and would only ask you replace a stick if you finish one off.
    Nature eliminates the stupid, regrettably the stupid breed faster.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast