• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ruger333

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2013
    [SUP]I am loading 124 grain TC hitek coated bullets and have a question on COL. Could not find much data specific to coated bullets. Eggleston munitions had 1.100 on COL and universal powder 3.8 to 4.3. They did not drop in my M&P barrel and have room to turn until 1.088. How short can I load them before getting into over pressure issue? I shot test rounds set at 1.100 with no issues but they did not fit the barrel like the longer manufactured stuff. Just started reloading and don’t want to learn lessons the hard way[/SUP]

billybob44

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    383   0   0
    Sep 22, 2010
    In the Man Cave
    Your best bet would to try to find a bullet style that is the same as you are loading for your Min OAL.
    I do not load Universal Powder, but I would say to load 10 or so with the min powder charge and shoot them to see if they will cycle the slide of your M&P ok.
    I run into the same OAL problems with my CZ barrels.
    Your loads must "Plunk" test correctly in your barrel or you will have problems..Bill.

ruger333

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2013
    I did shoot a handful seated to 1.088 and dint have any issues just don’t want to push my luck if that’s not a good idea

billybob44

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    383   0   0
    Sep 22, 2010
    In the Man Cave
    Thanks Bill, do you load shorter than listed COL for for cz guns

Yes, I do. Data not in front of me now, but I'm thinking for my CZ P-01 and CZ-75 I seat to 1.086". For my Glock loads I usually load a little longer. I mostly shoot my 125gr. cast RN (Lee mold) that I have Powder Coated.
    Most of my all around loads are charged with WW-231/HP-38.
    My warm loads are with Power Pistol or HS-6.
    Happy loading..Bill.

judgecrater

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2012
    You are doing fine

[SUP]I am loading 124 grain TC hitek coated bullets and have a question on COL. Could not find much data specific to coated bullets. Eggleston munitions had 1.100 on COL and universal powder 3.8 to 4.3. They did not drop in my M&P barrel and have room to turn until 1.088. How short can I load them before getting into over pressure issue? I shot test rounds set at 1.100 with no issues but they did not fit the barrel like the longer manufactured stuff. Just started reloading and don’t want to learn lessons the hard way[/SUP]
    Continue to load to 1.085. Just back off from max 2 or 3 tenths, say to 4.0 and you will be just fine. I shoot thousands of HiTek of all different weights and shapes and have to adjust lengths due to several barrels that demand shorter OAL. Be less concerned regarding the manuals OAL but more what your barrel demands.
    Each bullet shape and each barrel have different needs. Just keep shortening until the plunk test is successful.

ruger333

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2013
    Just went through a couple hundred rounds today with the above listed recipe. No problems feeding and no signs of over pressure. I did notice that the ejected cases didn’t go far. Would that indicate a light load or possible too tight of crimp? Thinking of bumping up the powder a tenth or two

Top Bottom