Join INGunOwners For Free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Plinker

User Info Menu

New Reloader needing advice

I am loading 124 grain TC hitek coated bullets and have a question on COL. Could not find much data specific to coated bullets. Eggleston munitions had 1.100 on COL and universal powder 3.8 to 4.3. They did not drop in my M&P barrel and have room to turn until 1.088. How short can I load them before getting into over pressure issue? I shot test rounds set at 1.100 with no issues but they did not fit the barrel like the longer manufactured stuff. Just started reloading and donít want to learn lessons the hard way

User Info Menu

Your best bet would to try to find a bullet style that is the same as you are loading for your Min OAL.
    I do not load Universal Powder, but I would say to load 10 or so with the min powder charge and shoot them to see if they will cycle the slide of your M&P ok.
    I run into the same OAL problems with my CZ barrels.
    Your loads must "Plunk" test correctly in your barrel or you will have problems..Bill.
    "It's more important to have a gun in your hand than a cop on the phone".

NRA Life Member since 1976+Outdoor Sportsman

Plinker

User Info Menu

Thanks Bill, do you load shorter than listed COL for for cz guns

Plinker

User Info Menu

I did shoot a handful seated to 1.088 and dint have any issues just donít want to push my luck if thatís not a good idea

User Info Menu

As long as you're not loading the max charge you should be ok
    "Courage is Being Scared to Death, but Saddling up Anyway" - John Wayne

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ruger333 View Post
    Thanks Bill, do you load shorter than listed COL for for cz guns
    Yes, I do. Data not in front of me now, but I'm thinking for my CZ P-01 and CZ-75 I seat to 1.086". For my Glock loads I usually load a little longer. I mostly shoot my 125gr. cast RN (Lee mold) that I have Powder Coated.
    Most of my all around loads are charged with WW-231/HP-38.
    My warm loads are with Power Pistol or HS-6.
    Happy loading..Bill.
    "It's more important to have a gun in your hand than a cop on the phone".

NRA Life Member since 1976+Outdoor Sportsman

User Info Menu

When you do your test loads at the shorter length, watch for the primers flattening
    "Courage is Being Scared to Death, but Saddling up Anyway" - John Wayne

Plinker

User Info Menu

Thanks, thatís helpful information. Iím not as concerned about the rounds I have loaded.

Plinker

User Info Menu

You are doing fine

Quote Originally Posted by ruger333 View Post
    I am loading 124 grain TC hitek coated bullets and have a question on COL. Could not find much data specific to coated bullets. Eggleston munitions had 1.100 on COL and universal powder 3.8 to 4.3. They did not drop in my M&P barrel and have room to turn until 1.088. How short can I load them before getting into over pressure issue? I shot test rounds set at 1.100 with no issues but they did not fit the barrel like the longer manufactured stuff. Just started reloading and donít want to learn lessons the hard way
    Continue to load to 1.085. Just back off from max 2 or 3 tenths, say to 4.0 and you will be just fine. I shoot thousands of HiTek of all different weights and shapes and have to adjust lengths due to several barrels that demand shorter OAL. Be less concerned regarding the manuals OAL but more what your barrel demands.
    Each bullet shape and each barrel have different needs. Just keep shortening until the plunk test is successful.

Plinker

User Info Menu

Iím going with 4.0 grains on the powder and 1.088 on OAL. Thanks everyone

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast