• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Notalentbum

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 12, 2013
    Indy westside
    I have a home built Ruger 10/22 that is shooting very well with CCI Standard Velocity bulk ammo. I’d like to see if some of the target/competition ammo will make a difference or if I’m still the limiting factor on the rifle. On the CCI SV, I’m averaging under 1/2” groups at 50 yards so about 1 MOA. I usually shoot sub 0.5 MOA on my centerfire bolt guns so I think maybe there is more left in the 10/22.
    I’m looking for recommendations on a few different choices of the premium 22LR ammo to try out. As of right now, I’m not worrying about case lots, just trying several different loads to see if one hits a sweet spot in my rifle.

Thanks, Matt

gmcttr

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    May 22, 2013
    Columbus
    CCI Green Tag, Federal Gold Metal Match and Ultra Match. SK, Wolf, Lapua, Eley, etc., each have several varieties of match ammo. Here's an old write up I came across but it may give yu some ideas....22 LR Ammunition Accuracy ? 55 Ammo Types Tested « Daily Bulletin

As you realize, the only way to tell is try as many of them as you want/can get your hands on. Be ready to choke on some of the prices.

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    there are a bunch of guys who shoot precision rimfire at Riley Conservation Club out to 200 I believe and I'm seeing them all shoot stuff all over the board. Super cheap Wolf all the way to expensive Eley. I know GECO is really popular and when Federal had the last rebate the guys did a group buy of GMM.

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    I truly believe its all gonna come down to your setup. Mine really likes Eley target. Cci sv, cci blazer, federal blue box(champion), federal Automatch, winchester super x are all real comparable. Mine doesn't like Federal gold medal match. Go figure. Buy a few boxes of everything and see what yours prefers.
    Here's a pic of 6 flavors of mine. Dont have a pic of the Eley, but its an even better group at 50 thru mine.
    8yhzxg.jpg

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    there are a bunch of guys who shoot precision rimfire at Riley Conservation Club out to 200 I believe and I'm seeing them all shoot stuff all over the board. Super cheap Wolf all the way to expensive Eley. I know GECO is really popular and when Federal had the last rebate the guys did a group buy of GMM.

Wolf Rimfire isn't "cheap" anmo. If you're comparing it to it's ****ty centerfire comrades, trust me, all they share is the name.

Close as anybody can tell, Wolf Match .22LR is produced on the same line, and is equivalent to SK Standard Plus, and SK Rifle Match....right down to the headstamps.

I've shot a ****load of Wolf. My highest Offhand score ever, a 198-6x, was with Wolf ME and a Kimber 82G.

SK Rifle Match happens to cycle my AR upper nicely, and it is absolutely a hammer at 50 yards.

My Annie prefers Eley Rifle Match. Little bit<#.

Actually. They all do. Anything in Eley Match or Tenex boxes is virtually guaranteed to knock your socks off on target unless you have a serious mismatch. Be prepared for ribbing if you start feeding $20 ammo into a Ruger mag.

Take a hard look at the CMP's new offering from Eley: "Standard". It LOOKS like CCI 0035, but I can assure you it bears more resemblance to Eley target ammo than just the name. Damn, damn impressive for lesd than $5 per box, and cycled everything I own.

shootersix

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2009

i'm almost positive that wolf 22 ammo is made by eley, and I think geco is either eley or rws

and now that I've said that, the best groups ive shot out of my ruger precision rimfire have come from wolf and eley tenex (about 20.00 for at 50 midway usa), I shot eley 22 subsonic hollow points last week end and made a nice 1 hold group with it (10 rounds), but I don't know if that's going to cycle a 10/22 or not but it was only 8 bucks per 50 at a lgs

if you're shooting for dime size groups, your best but is to try a lot of different types and then buy the brand that shoots the best, because just because one of my 10/22's shoots eley the best, the other might like federal match better.

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    40 grain stuff shoots best in my rifles.
    Wolf MT & Wolf ME are both great loads. Wolf ME is no longer made in Germany (SK / Lapua) & is all made by Eley in London. Both MT & ME are Eley now. It's on par with other SK & Lapua loads I've tried.
    I haven't had great luck with FGMM.
    Eley Edge does very well in all of my rifles.
    Winchester Super X (100 rnd clear plastic sliding lid box) does consistently well. Differently packaged but same name on the label seem to shoot differently.
    Several CCI loads do well... Green Tag is the most consistent by a tiny bit.
    I just can't justify any of the RWS loads in my guns.
    I had very high hopes for Fiocchi Exacta 320 and it had fantastic 9 out of 10 shot groups. That one errant shot was pretty consistently bad though.

I need to do another 22LR ammo test & post some results. It's just a huge time consuming thing to do.

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    Wolf MT & Wolf ME are both great loads. Wolf ME is no longer made in Germany (SK / Lapua) & is all made by Eley in London. Both MT & ME are Eley now. It's on par with other SK & Lapua loads I've tried.

Hey, cool! I didn't know that!

charley59

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    In Carroll County
    Depends upon what the gun really likes to shoot. Sometimes bulk economy 22LR shoots just fine. Shooter at the range had a Ruger Precision 22LR and was shooting sub sonic ammo. He says when 22LR goes from supersonic to subsonic, it destabilizes. Some say this is true. Many, many years ago I was at the range shooting different 22LR through a Marlin 25, looking for the ammo this gun preferred for accuracy. Then another shooter gave me a box of I believe it was Eley target ammo, saying he could find none more accurate in his gun. But it didn't shoot well in my gun.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    I've heard that SK Standard Plus shoots well in the Rugers. You might also try RWS Rifle Match. Of course Eley Tenex has stood the test of time. The latter two ammos are very pricey, however.

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    The best advice was from d.kaufman and it's buy a ton of stuff and test. No one can tell you what brand of ammo will do best in your rifle, you have to find out for yourself. Plus, testing is half the fun :)

I have a ton of ammo I picked up over the winter while I wasn't shooting outdoors. Went to the range and shot 2 five shot groups of about a dozen types of ammo to find out what worked best for me. SK Rifle Match and Wolf Match Target were the most consistent for my Anschutz. Still need to figure out what my Ruger American Rimfire Target prefers. Heading back to the range today for further testing... :yesway:

Notalentbum

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 12, 2013
    Indy westside
    The best advice was from d.kaufman and it's buy a ton of stuff and test. No one can tell you what brand of ammo will do best in your rifle, you have to find out for yourself. Plus, testing is half the fun :)

This is exactly why I posted this thread, looking for 10 or 12 different loads to buy and test. I’ve done this with bulk ammo already. CCI SV won out over Automatch and Blazers. The rest of the stuff I tested weren’t even in the ballpark. Since I’ve never shot any of the “premium” ammo, I was looking for suggestions as there are a few that have been mentioned that I’ve not heard of. Don’t want to leave any good options in the box!

Matt

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    This is exactly why I posted this thread, looking for 10 or 12 different loads to buy and test. I’ve done this with bulk ammo already. CCI SV won out over Automatch and Blazers. The rest of the stuff I tested weren’t even in the ballpark. Since I’ve never shot any of the “premium” ammo, I was looking for suggestions as there are a few that have been mentioned that I’ve not heard of. Don’t want to leave any good options in the box!

Matt

The list gmcttr posted was pretty good for that. I love using CCI SV because it's pretty consistent and nicely inexpensive, but moving up to CCI Green Tag, Federal Gold Medal Target or UltraMatch, or others can be very nice, but pretty spendy. I do like the SK Standard Plus as a fairly reasonably priced consistent ammo, though the SK Rifle Match and Wolf Match Target work better. If you don't mind the cost, something like Lapua CenterX or Midas + are supposed to be excellent.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Minor ammo inconsistencies that are barely noticed or written off for whatever reason as a "flier" at 50 yards get amplified a lot out beyond that range.

80-90% consistency is great unless it's the shot you have to make for the score card or the ethical kill.

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    No one can tell you what brand of ammo will do best in your rifle, you have to find out for yourself.

Maybe.

But I've yet to see a rifle that wouldn't shoot Eley Match. ;)

Give Edge and Match a try in that Annie of yours. I think you'll be pleased.

Apologies in advance,

-Nate

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    Maybe.

But I've yet to see a rifle that wouldn't shoot Eley Match. ;)

Give Edge and Match a try in that Annie of yours. I think you'll be pleased.

Apologies in advance,

-Nate

That's one of the reasons I held out so long trying centerx and midas + :):

Next you'll tell me I need to try Tenex :(

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    That's one of the reasons I held out so long trying centerx and midas + :):

Next you'll tell me I need to try Tenex :(
    Kinda like car racing. How fast you go depends upon how much money you have. Having said that, sometimes the lower priced ammos shoot tighter groups in some guns, but the pricey ammo, like Tenex will not have flyers. Consistency is important to some, like top match shooters.

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    For the way I shoot, there's a cost/performance point of diminishing returns with the super expensive ammo. I'm not a benchrest guy. Eley Edge is about as expensive as I want to go & I'm not yet convinced it's better than Wolf ME for 100 yd NRA smallbore prone (sling only). I need to shoot an entire match with the stuff 1st.

Top Bottom