Join INGunOwners For Free
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

User Info Menu

22LR precision choices

I have a home built Ruger 10/22 that is shooting very well with CCI Standard Velocity bulk ammo. Id like to see if some of the target/competition ammo will make a difference or if Im still the limiting factor on the rifle. On the CCI SV, Im averaging under 1/2 groups at 50 yards so about 1 MOA. I usually shoot sub 0.5 MOA on my centerfire bolt guns so I think maybe there is more left in the 10/22.
    Im looking for recommendations on a few different choices of the premium 22LR ammo to try out. As of right now, Im not worrying about case lots, just trying several different loads to see if one hits a sweet spot in my rifle.

Thanks, Matt

Expert

User Info Menu

CCI Green Tag, Federal Gold Metal Match and Ultra Match. SK, Wolf, Lapua, Eley, etc., each have several varieties of match ammo. Here's an old write up I came across but it may give yu some ideas....22 LR Ammunition Accuracy ? 55 Ammo Types Tested Daily Bulletin

As you realize, the only way to tell is try as many of them as you want/can get your hands on. Be ready to choke on some of the prices.

User Info Menu

there are a bunch of guys who shoot precision rimfire at Riley Conservation Club out to 200 I believe and I'm seeing them all shoot stuff all over the board. Super cheap Wolf all the way to expensive Eley. I know GECO is really popular and when Federal had the last rebate the guys did a group buy of GMM.

User Info Menu

I truly believe its all gonna come down to your setup. Mine really likes Eley target. Cci sv, cci blazer, federal blue box(champion), federal Automatch, winchester super x are all real comparable. Mine doesn't like Federal gold medal match. Go figure. Buy a few boxes of everything and see what yours prefers.
    Here's a pic of 6 flavors of mine. Dont have a pic of the Eley, but its an even better group at 50 thru mine.

Expert

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bfish View Post
    there are a bunch of guys who shoot precision rimfire at Riley Conservation Club out to 200 I believe and I'm seeing them all shoot stuff all over the board. Super cheap Wolf all the way to expensive Eley. I know GECO is really popular and when Federal had the last rebate the guys did a group buy of GMM.
    Wolf Rimfire isn't "cheap" anmo. If you're comparing it to it's ****ty centerfire comrades, trust me, all they share is the name.

Close as anybody can tell, Wolf Match .22LR is produced on the same line, and is equivalent to SK Standard Plus, and SK Rifle Match....right down to the headstamps.

I've shot a ****load of Wolf. My highest Offhand score ever, a 198-6x, was with Wolf ME and a Kimber 82G.

SK Rifle Match happens to cycle my AR upper nicely, and it is absolutely a hammer at 50 yards.

My Annie prefers Eley Rifle Match. Little bit<#.

Actually. They all do. Anything in Eley Match or Tenex boxes is virtually guaranteed to knock your socks off on target unless you have a serious mismatch. Be prepared for ribbing if you start feeding $20 ammo into a Ruger mag.

Take a hard look at the CMP's new offering from Eley: "Standard". It LOOKS like CCI 0035, but I can assure you it bears more resemblance to Eley target ammo than just the name. Damn, damn impressive for lesd than $5 per box, and cycled everything I own.
    President's Hundred
    A2 Service Rifle High Master XC
    Distinguished Rifleman
    1,000 yd A2 Service Rifle Expert
    Incessant Tinkerer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bfish View Post
    i'm almost positive that wolf 22 ammo is made by eley, and I think geco is either eley or rws

and now that I've said that, the best groups ive shot out of my ruger precision rimfire have come from wolf and eley tenex (about 20.00 for at 50 midway usa), I shot eley 22 subsonic hollow points last week end and made a nice 1 hold group with it (10 rounds), but I don't know if that's going to cycle a 10/22 or not but it was only 8 bucks per 50 at a lgs

if you're shooting for dime size groups, your best but is to try a lot of different types and then buy the brand that shoots the best, because just because one of my 10/22's shoots eley the best, the other might like federal match better.
    Never too many sigs in your safe!-mike4sigs

Hop

User Info Menu

40 grain stuff shoots best in my rifles.
    Wolf MT & Wolf ME are both great loads. Wolf ME is no longer made in Germany (SK / Lapua) & is all made by Eley in London. Both MT & ME are Eley now. It's on par with other SK & Lapua loads I've tried.
    I haven't had great luck with FGMM.
    Eley Edge does very well in all of my rifles.
    Winchester Super X (100 rnd clear plastic sliding lid box) does consistently well. Differently packaged but same name on the label seem to shoot differently.
    Several CCI loads do well... Green Tag is the most consistent by a tiny bit.
    I just can't justify any of the RWS loads in my guns.
    I had very high hopes for Fiocchi Exacta 320 and it had fantastic 9 out of 10 shot groups. That one errant shot was pretty consistently bad though.

I need to do another 22LR ammo test & post some results. It's just a huge time consuming thing to do.

Revere's Riders Instructor - Scored both Master Rifle KD, Master Pistol

NRA Pistol instructor | NRA Rifle instructor | NRA RSO
    Classes and info here: https://www.reveresriders.org/

Expert

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Hop View Post
    Wolf MT & Wolf ME are both great loads. Wolf ME is no longer made in Germany (SK / Lapua) & is all made by Eley in London. Both MT & ME are Eley now. It's on par with other SK & Lapua loads I've tried.
    Hey, cool! I didn't know that!
    President's Hundred
    A2 Service Rifle High Master XC
    Distinguished Rifleman
    1,000 yd A2 Service Rifle Expert
    Incessant Tinkerer

Marksman

User Info Menu

Depends upon what the gun really likes to shoot. Sometimes bulk economy 22LR shoots just fine. Shooter at the range had a Ruger Precision 22LR and was shooting sub sonic ammo. He says when 22LR goes from supersonic to subsonic, it destabilizes. Some say this is true. Many, many years ago I was at the range shooting different 22LR through a Marlin 25, looking for the ammo this gun preferred for accuracy. Then another shooter gave me a box of I believe it was Eley target ammo, saying he could find none more accurate in his gun. But it didn't shoot well in my gun.

User Info Menu

Rimfire rifles and the ammo they like are a law unto themselves. Every one I ever had, and I've had a bunch, had a preference.
    Just call me lollipop.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast