• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • randyb

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Have several boxes of .22 LR Remington Golden bullet 100 round boxes. I have had two squib loads in one box and wanted to see is anyone else has had problems? The first round went out the barrel, but the second lodged into the barrel until I removed it.

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    Ive probably gone thru 2k rounds of them in the past 3 months and the only issues ive had are desd primer spots, and even those have been relatively few. Ive been shooting bulk packs. Hopefully not an issue because i just ordered another case of 5k for $139

EDIT. Just realized mine are the Thunderbolts not Golden Bullets

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    Remington Golden Bullet is known to be fairly, um. Not awesome..

Google that sh#$ and see.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    Remington Golden Bullet is known to be fairly, um. Not awesome..

Google that sh#$ and see.

Accuracy wise I would agree with this. Also it does tend to run pretty dirty.

As for reliability, I must be one of the lucky ones. I have shot several thousand rounds of Golden Bullets through my 10/22 and I honestly can't remember having any kind of squibs or misfires.

Beowulf

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Mar 21, 2012
    Brownsburg
    Never had a squib with a Remington GB, but they don't work for crap. Even in rock steady reliable 10/22 they can cause issues and forget about it in just about any pistol.

Once the great .22 ammo drought eased, I stopped buying and shooting Remington GB entirely.

russc2542

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Oct 24, 2015
    Columbus
    Keep in mind the 100 round plastic box version is different than the bulk packs by the same name. My 2206 likes the 100 rd plastic boxes well enough so I went out and bought a bulk box. Alas the box has a different projectile and seems like 2/3 are loose in the brass (probably thanks to the lack of packaging).

Don't recall any problems with the plastic boxed stuff in 1000 rounds myself.

resdep

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 23, 2008
    I have a number of pistols that wont' function with anything but golden bullets. Other than the occasional dud never had a problem and I have shot 1000's of them.

WebSnyper

Maximum Effort
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    I have a number of pistols that wont' function with anything but golden bullets. Other than the occasional dud never had a problem and I have shot 1000's of them.

Yep, Advantage Arms conversion kits recommend them for the bullet profile and I've had no major issues with then through that or through my M&P 22 compact.

CampingJosh

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 16, 2010
    Remington is known for poor quality with their rimfire ammo (and it's a reputation that has been spreading to other products over the last decade or so).

I wouldn't bend down to pick up a free box of Thunderbolts. The Golden Bullets are better, but I still choose to avoid them. I used to have Sig Mosquito pistol that only worked reliably with Mini Mags and Golden Bullets, so I would guess that they are a little hotter than most other bulk .22s. But "worked' meant that it would cycle whenever the round actually fired off, which was not consistent enough for my taste. Ever since I got rid of that pistol nearly 10 years ago, I've completely stayed away from Remington's rimfire stuff.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    I'm another one that avoids these things. Too dirty and too many issues with waste my money on them when there are so many other options that don't have the same issues.

700 LTR 223

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 5, 2008
    My 1971 Walther PPK/S actually functions very well with the bulk box of Remington Golden 22s I have. But it is really the only gun I shoot them in.

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    Remington is known for poor quality with their rimfire ammo (and it's a reputation that has been spreading to other products over the last decade or so).

I wouldn't bend down to pick up a free box of Thunderbolts. The Golden Bullets are better, but I still choose to avoid them. I used to have Sig Mosquito pistol that only worked reliably with Mini Mags and Golden Bullets, so I would guess that they are a little hotter than most other bulk .22s. But "worked' meant that it would cycle whenever the round actually fired off, which was not consistent enough for my taste. Ever since I got rid of that pistol nearly 10 years ago, I've completely stayed away from Remington's rimfire stuff.

I have the opposite issue Golden Bullets v/s thunderbolts. Golden Bullets are horrible in all my rifles, while Thunderbolts i don't seem to have many issues.

As a matter of fact just got back from range amd daughter ran a brick of thunderbolts thru her 10/22 without a single malfunction. And when we do have an issue its always primer related. Rechamber round and it goes boom. Camt recall more than 1 or 2 per 500 out of the last 2k shes run

Top Bottom