Join INGunOwners For Free

Thread: 6.5 Grendel

Plinker

User Info Menu

6.5 Grendel

How heavy can you go with the grendel bullet weights? I've read different things on Nosler data, Hornady data, etc.

From what Hornady's website suggests, the 120 Grain GMX mono bullet is good for deer and other larger game, as well as the 129gr interbond. I'm not sure if I'd get the required velocity using the grendel cartridge and not the creedmoor.

Expert

User Info Menu

I'd stop at 107's, or 123 Scenar-L if I wanted to do long range "cruising" loads for target only.

For game, I think the 120-class would be fine as long as you kept the shots short-ish...300 or under. At the oft-cited "woods" ranges, it would be hellacious with a PSP.

If you are worried about speed, go with a little longer barrel. 22-24" would not be too much at all, and I'm sure the cartridge could make good USE of 28"...not that you'd want that.

You could do something cool and build a 6mm AR instead...
    President's Hundred
    A2 Service Rifle High Master XC
    Distinguished Rifleman
    1,000 yd A2 Service Rifle Expert
    Incessant Tinkerer

Plinker

User Info Menu

Thanks. I'd read that the GMX bullet would be a load on game. I'll buy a box of that and give it a shot.
    With SNR shooting supply help I put together an AR 15 in the grendel caliber. I've got a 20 inch barrel on it.
    For what I'm hunting I'm always within 150 yards, so I'll be a little more confident using it this fall.

Expert

User Info Menu

Oh yeah. Even the .223 with a heavy bullet barrel at 20" would be fine at 150.

I'm not advocating .223 at all, and am actually opposed to it, but I do know it would still be pretty capable at those ranges.

You're on the right track though...I'd want to keep the speedometer toward the upper end. It gets cold here, don'tchaknow.
    President's Hundred
    Distinguished Rifleman
    Incessant Tinkerer

User Info Menu

If you are loading for Grendel, choose a bullet with a speed range such that it will stay effective at slower speeds. The Interlocks have a minimum speed of 1600fps, the Interlock SP and SSTs go down to 1500fps.

Nosler BTs go down to 1800fps, like the GMXs.

For deer in a Grendel, the bullet design matters more than the weight IMHO. You could hunt with a 140gr bullet at only 2100fps IF the bullet is designed for that speed.

I don't see any utility in going over 130gr for the Grendel though. Save the 140+ pills for your Creedmoor.

Expert

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Hohn View Post
    Save the 140+ pills for your Creedmoor.
    And even that is certainly arguable.

-Nate
    President's Hundred
    Distinguished Rifleman
    Incessant Tinkerer

Plinker

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Hohn View Post
    If you are loading for Grendel, choose a bullet with a speed range such that it will stay effective at slower speeds. The Interlocks have a minimum speed of 1600fps, the Interlock SP and SSTs go down to 1500fps.

Nosler BTs go down to 1800fps, like the GMXs.

For deer in a Grendel, the bullet design matters more than the weight IMHO. You could hunt with a 140gr bullet at only 2100fps IF the bullet is designed for that speed.

I don't see any utility in going over 130gr for the Grendel though. Save the 140+ pills for your Creedmoor.
    Thanks. I've seen more and more data validating the need for good bullet design. I'll keep this in mind.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by natdscott View Post
    And even that is certainly arguable.

-Nate
    Indeed, why would you go with 140s when you can use 160 Interlocks?