• ...and so much more!
  • 1nderbeard

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Apr 3, 2017
    Hendricks County
    How heavy can you go with the grendel bullet weights? I've read different things on Nosler data, Hornady data, etc.

From what Hornady's website suggests, the 120 Grain GMX mono bullet is good for deer and other larger game, as well as the 129gr interbond. I'm not sure if I'd get the required velocity using the grendel cartridge and not the creedmoor.

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    I'd stop at 107's, or 123 Scenar-L if I wanted to do long range "cruising" loads for target only.

For game, I think the 120-class would be fine as long as you kept the shots short-ish...300 or under. At the oft-cited "woods" ranges, it would be hellacious with a PSP.

If you are worried about speed, go with a little longer barrel. 22-24" would not be too much at all, and I'm sure the cartridge could make good USE of 28"...not that you'd want that.

You could do something cool and build a 6mm AR instead...

1nderbeard

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Apr 3, 2017
    Hendricks County
    Thanks. I'd read that the GMX bullet would be a load on game. I'll buy a box of that and give it a shot.
    With SNR shooting supply help I put together an AR 15 in the grendel caliber. I've got a 20 inch barrel on it.
    For what I'm hunting I'm always within 150 yards, so I'll be a little more confident using it this fall.

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    Oh yeah. Even the .223 with a heavy bullet barrel at 20" would be fine at 150.

I'm not advocating .223 at all, and am actually opposed to it, but I do know it would still be pretty capable at those ranges.

You're on the right track though...I'd want to keep the speedometer toward the upper end. It gets cold here, don'tchaknow.

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    If you are loading for Grendel, choose a bullet with a speed range such that it will stay effective at slower speeds. The Interlocks have a minimum speed of 1600fps, the Interlock SP and SSTs go down to 1500fps.

Nosler BTs go down to 1800fps, like the GMXs.

For deer in a Grendel, the bullet design matters more than the weight IMHO. You could hunt with a 140gr bullet at only 2100fps IF the bullet is designed for that speed.

I don't see any utility in going over 130gr for the Grendel though. Save the 140+ pills for your Creedmoor.

1nderbeard

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Apr 3, 2017
    Hendricks County
    If you are loading for Grendel, choose a bullet with a speed range such that it will stay effective at slower speeds. The Interlocks have a minimum speed of 1600fps, the Interlock SP and SSTs go down to 1500fps.

Nosler BTs go down to 1800fps, like the GMXs.

For deer in a Grendel, the bullet design matters more than the weight IMHO. You could hunt with a 140gr bullet at only 2100fps IF the bullet is designed for that speed.

I don't see any utility in going over 130gr for the Grendel though. Save the 140+ pills for your Creedmoor.

Thanks. I've seen more and more data validating the need for good bullet design. I'll keep this in mind.

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    Thanks. I'd read that the GMX bullet would be a load on game. I'll buy a box of that and give it a shot.
    With SNR shooting supply help I put together an AR 15 in the grendel caliber. I've got a 20 inch barrel on it.
    For what I'm hunting I'm always within 150 yards, so I'll be a little more confident using it this fall.

The GMX is a very good game load... in cartridges that have the capacity to push it to close to the middle and preferably the higher end of it's velocity range. If you want to use bullets as tough as the GMX bullets in the Grendel, then you need to drop down in weight. Or you can choose a softer bullet in the middle weight range. Even were you to step up to the CM, you would still be better served out to 250+ yards sticking with 120 grain and under bullets if you want to use GMX or similarly tough bullets.

And even that is certainly arguable.

-Nate
    But, but... don't you know heavier bullets are always better? The heavier a bullet is the more magical properties it has. ;)

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    I’m about to get started loading for the Grendel and I chose Hornady 123gr SST for now.

if you want to use a GMX, use the 120gr.

Top Bottom