• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • AmericanBob

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 10, 2009
    Noblesville
    Finally took my grendel out for a test drive. When I picked up the cases, I noticed they all had lines around them. I can't feel them, but I've never had a firearm do this to cases before. What does it mean for the barrel? Should I send it back or just have a smith look at it? View attachment 78550

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    Finally took my grendel out for a test drive. When I picked up the cases, I noticed they all had lines around them. I can't feel them, but I've never had a firearm do this to cases before. What does it mean for the barrel? Should I send it back or just have a smith look at it? View attachment 78550

I'd send that photo to the bbl mfr and ask them if they find that acceptable quality contol.

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    Should I send it back or just have a smith look at it? View attachment 78550
    I mean this with upmost respect to you and your local 'smith, sent it back to the manufacturer. Why should you spend money on the smith, who is going to charge for inspection, then maybe try to rechamber or polish the chamber, charge you again, when the mfr is the one responsible for the poor qc?

SmileDocHill

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Westfield
    I'm no firearms expert but as a dentist I look at it like this: That soft brass is taking an impression of the inside of the chamber when it gets fired. The lines are circumferential and not along the length of the brass so it isn't the extraction that is "scratching" it. This is, like others have said, the roughness of the chamber and appears to represent ridges from when it was milled out in a slightly uneven manor.

Trapper Jim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2012
    Arcadia

I would need to know more about model of firearm and headstamp on brass.

STFU

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Sep 30, 2015
    Hamilton County
    I'm no firearms expert but as a dentist I look at it like this: That soft brass is taking an impression of the inside of the chamber when it gets fired. The lines are circumferential and not along the length of the brass so it isn't the extraction that is "scratching" it. This is, like others have said, the roughness of the chamber and appears to represent ridges from when it was milled out in a slightly uneven manor.

Very interesting analysis. I like this line of thinking.

Gaffer

Shhhh.......
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 12, 2016
    Southern IN

This makes sense to me also.

You might try rolling around the cases a bit to see if you can see a pattern (like matching up fingerprints). That would pretty much assure that the chamber is rough, as each case should, more or less, have the same marks on them.

Ron

AmericanBob

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 10, 2009
    Noblesville

That is a quality assessment. Thanks.

240sx

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2019
    Fishers
    Never seen anything like that before on brass.
    I have seen rifle chambers that have
    circular markings left over from when they reamed
    the chamber but they were so small they didn't effect the spent brass.

King31

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    Southern Indiana
    Brass Questions

Here is my post on the exact subject. Several good replies including by the 2 guys starting with LR. They know more about the Grendel than almost everyone.

Unfortunately I have not changed anything with these guns. My hobbies have been going away from guns this year but maybe I'll try something this winter. Hope this helps.

Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    I would give it a good cleaning including a brush chucked up in my cordless drill. Followed by a mop with polish. Shine it up a bit and hit the range again to see how she does.

AmericanBob

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 10, 2009
    Noblesville
    Brass Questions

Here is my post on the exact subject. Several good replies including by the 2 guys starting with LR. They know more about the Grendel than almost everyone.

Unfortunately I have not changed anything with these guns. My hobbies have been going away from guns this year but maybe I'll try something this winter. Hope this helps.

Thanks K31. Two things. First, so did you try what they recommended yet? I know you said you haven't spent much time on guns this year. And second, how in the hell did you post a pic on 6.5? I was trying earlier and couldn't figure it out for the life of me.

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    Normal. Nothing to fret about. Well within limits. Not uncommon. Chambers are reamed with a sharp tool. They are not polished to be perfectly smooth no matter how much you spend on the barrel.

King31

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    Southern Indiana
    Thanks K31. Two things. First, so did you try what they recommended yet? I know you said you haven't spent much time on guns this year. And second, how in the hell did you post a pic on 6.5? I was trying earlier and couldn't figure it out for the life of me.

No, I unfortunately have not done anything on them. Maybe this winter when work slows down, but I may just keep shooting them. Posting pics there is just like here. Go to tinypic or imgur and copy the forum code.

Top Bottom