Join INGunOwners For Free
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

User Info Menu

Amerc I have found questionable but have yet to reject it all.

GFL in 45 has seemed the worst to me. The primers seat so easily I'm surprised they don't fall back out when I take the case out of the shell holder.

Blazer brass in 9mm also seems to be pretty easy to prime.

Blazer brass and Federal 45 can be a pain in the arse if you're not paying attention.

I felt compelled to chime in here because I really like S&B brass. The primer pockets are tight (used with CCI primers) but it lasts for many reloads (.357 and 45 mostly).

I wasted a bunch of time prepping brass for .223 Federal, tried to figure out how to tell the good from the bad and just gave up. I have enough LC now to last a long time.

I also like PMC in 223,308,357. I've had real good luck with them but I have split some .357 cases after only a couple of reloads.

User Info Menu

Is the .45 ACP brass that you are using small primer or large primer?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfhound View Post
    Does Midway have their own brand or are we talking Starline brass? Starline is good stuff in my experience.

How many times would you estimate you've reloaded the 44 Mag brass from the 70's? That's impressive regardless.
    I meant to say Starline, my old brain was stuck on the first Starline cases I bought which had a Midway headstamp. Tough to say how many times those Remingtons have been through the mill, 8 grains of Unique and a cast RCBS Keith Type bullet in lever guns and revolvers.
    Where's the Kaboom? There was supposed to be an earth shattering Kaboom.

Marvin the Martian

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfhound View Post
    I didn't realize the S&B 45 ACP brass was so problematic. I reload a lot of 9mm S&B and it seems like good stuff.
    Define a lot. All S&B I ever saw was A SOB. Pure junk. Just like all other third world crap. Made in America Components operated by American Corporations.
    "See you on the Range"

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BE Mike View Post
    Is the .45 ACP brass that you are using small primer or large primer?
    The GFL in 45 is large primer. Very loose with CCI primers.

The Blazer and Federal are all small primers. Several folks at my local range shoot Blazer and Federal but don't take them home with them. I ended up getting a bunch out of the brass buckets, usually mixed with large primer brass. Yes, I use range pick-ups in 45.
    I usually prime on the press with a ram-prime system. It's not to everyone's liking but it works for me.
    Since I batch process 45 on a turret, I hate the surprise of finding small primer brass when I try to insert a large primer.

S&B primes with noticeably more force, but the primer cups aren't flattened (this might be due to using CCI primers) and the brass lasts a long time.
    I have reloaded S&B several times. After about the fifth or sixth time primer seating starts feeling more normal.

AE is something else I usually end up quickly culling.

Generally when I am priming 45, when the weight of the press handle is able to seat the primer I separate it out and that is the last time I reload it. Usually what I find when going through the "EZ Prime" tray is GFL, AE, and Remington.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Trapper Jim View Post
    Define a lot. All S&B I ever saw was A SOB. Pure junk. Just like all other third world crap. Made in America Components operated by American Corporations.
    I have about 500 9mm S&B cases that I've reloaded 5 or six times. Never had any issues at all. Seems like really good quality to me. Also have some S&B 223 brass but not a large quantity.

Edit: Looks like I've managed to bring up the brand that people either love or hate. I seem to have a talent for that.
    Last edited by Wolfhound; 07-23-2019 at 07:06.
    Veterans Crisis Line 1-800-273-8255 press 1 to talk to someone now or text 838255 available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 365 days a year.

User Info Menu

I'm not too picky on pistol brass but if I'm buying new brass I normally buy Starline.

For rifle brass, I use Winchester, Privi and Hornady the most and roughly in that order. As mentioned Privi produces a lot of old military calibers but is inconsistent with primer pockets being tight on some and 3-5% of cases per bag being too damaged to use. Hornady is really nice and has a great selection but it little too pricey for me for common calibers. Winchester seems to be the perfect blend of quality and price for me. Starline is pretty good as well but perhaps a touch soft. I only use Remington or Federal if I have no other choice. Nosler brass is extremely high quality but also very expensive so I only use it in my .26 Nosler. Norma seems to be high quality and priced accordingly but the primer pockets are extremely tight.

User Info Menu

Not to hijack the thread, but since I haven't purchased any .45 ACP ammo in a very, very long time, I need to ask a question. Does all currently produced American .45 ACP ammo come with small primers?

User Info Menu

Not to hijack the thread, but since I haven't purchased any .45 ACP ammo in a very, very long time, I need to ask a question. Does all currently produced American .45 ACP ammo come with small primers?
    Blazer and Federal are the only two I am currently aware of that use small primers for 45. This is based upon what I've picked up at the range. I hope someone can come along and add to this if there are more.

Continuing the thread from the OP, I have become very dissatisfied with Winchester as of late. QC seems to be lacking. I bought a couple bags of 100 357 and about twenty wouldn't fit in my shell holder. The case rims were too large diameter or too thick. I've never had that problem before. I didn't bother looking for a lot number or sending them back. I probably should have. I also saw some strange marks on the brass that caused me to question the integrity of the case. It looked like something went afoul in the drawing process.

I picked up a box of 500 Starline in 357 and I'm fairly well set for a while.

Federal brass in 308 seems to get loose primer pockets after 3 or four reloadings. PMC has held up better.

There is some 9mm floating around out there with crimped primers that give me all kinds of fits using my progressive, but that is probably another topic not really brass specific.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Karl-just-Karl View Post
    Blazer and Federal are the only two I am currently aware of that use small primers for 45. This is based upon what I've picked up at the range. I hope someone can come along and add to this if there are more.
    CCI/Spear. Same parent company as Blazer, not sure about federal

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast