Join INGunOwners For Free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

User Info Menu

Favorite and least favorite brass for reloading.

I am wondering what's your favorite brass and least favorite for reloading? Handgun and rifle. I have been reloading for over 25 years now and have had some issues with certain brands.

For handgun my favorite is Sellier and Bellot. Least favorite would be Amerc Brand which I found to be almost impossible to reload and certainly not worth the effort. Brass with the headstamp AMERC is made by American Ammunition Inc in Miami, FL. It is the worst quality brass imaginable. The flash holes are often off-center, the case diameter is out of spec, and it often splits on the first or second firing.Thankfully there is not much of it around anymore.

For rifle my favorite is Prvi Partizan simply because they make brass for all the old military calibers I shoot. Some of the worst rifle brass I've ran into was some Lake City 5.56 that was made in the mid 70's. It was brittle and would crack on the neck or shoulder. Other years of Lake City I have reloaded have been just fine.

So what's your favorite and what has been the worst you've reloaded?
    Veterans Crisis Line 1-800-273-8255 press 1 to talk to someone now or text 838255 available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 365 days a year.

User Info Menu

Tough to say as I've not had a lot of trouble out of various types of brass over 45 years. Midway is probably the most common brass I shoot and I've had good luck with that. I've made a number of odd cases from other types of brass and I would say I've not had many issues regardless of brand.

I'm still loading Remington 44 Mag cases I've had since the 70s.
    Where's the Kaboom? There was supposed to be an earth shattering Kaboom.

Marvin the Martian

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Leadeye View Post
    Tough to say as I've not had a lot of trouble out of various types of brass over 45 years. Midway is probably the most common brass I shoot and I've had good luck with that. I've made a number of odd cases from other types of brass and I would say I've not had many issues regardless of brand.

I'm still loading Remington 44 Mag cases I've had since the 70s.
    Does Midway have their own brand or are we talking Starline brass? Starline is good stuff in my experience.

How many times would you estimate you've reloaded the 44 Mag brass from the 70's? That's impressive regardless.
    Veterans Crisis Line 1-800-273-8255 press 1 to talk to someone now or text 838255 available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 365 days a year.

User Info Menu

TZZ 9mm seems to hang on the de-priming pin, enough that I started culling it
    "Courage is Being Scared to Death, but Saddling up Anyway" - John Wayne

User Info Menu

Had some Amerc brass while back and their gone. What’s gets me is large primer and small primer Federals.

User Info Menu

The best is what I can pickup at the range for free. I stick to the big name brands and the rest gets scrapped. I also scrap any NATO stuff.

Problems I've had.....

FC 223 being under spec and reports of case head separating

S&B 45acp primer pockets too tight

Rem 44mag work hardening on first or second loading and splitting wide open

All of it hit the scrap yard. Stick to big name American brands now and no issues.
    I won’t be wronged, I won’t be insulted, and I won’t be laid a hand on.

Plinker

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Sniper 79 View Post
    S&B 45acp primer pockets too tight.
    This. I even tried S&B primers and they’re still too tight.

Favorite pistol brass- Winchester 45 ACP

For 223, Winchester or any LC 2011 and newer has been good for me.

Least favorite 223, some foreign make with off center primer pockets. I bent up several decap pins on them. I’ll have to check my scrap bucket for the head stamp.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

I didn't realize the S&B 45 ACP brass was so problematic. I reload a lot of 9mm S&B and it seems like good stuff.

User Info Menu

With pistol calibers Amerc is the worst by far. It seems to me that Remington doesn't hold up as well as others. A buddy of mine has been shooting some factory new Remington .45 ACP and he is getting about 4% cracked from the mouth down. I've loaded a lot of W-W over the years with good results. A lot of people swear by Federal. Except for the pain of the crimped primer pocket, military brass is good, especially their "match" brass. Starline is very good. For rifle, I find most of them good, but do tend to use Lake City the most.

User Info Menu

Privi is probably my favorite rifle brass. Lasts, good quality, not too hard, not too soft. LC would be next, then most other makes. S&B and Fiocchi would be near the bottom. S&B cases just didn't last and seemed awfully soft, Fiocchi had a lot of off center flash holes.
    Tulta munille! HAKKAA PÄÄLLE

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast