• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Fullmag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Sep 4, 2011
    Loaded the last of Missouri Bullet Company rounds in 45 acp. Tried two different types of bullets both 200gr SWC and flat point RN. My experience was they did not seat very good. Added more flare on case mouth to help out and still had problems seating and gaging consistently. Then loaded 15 Speer 230gr round nose to test out. They were so much easier to set and gaged more consistently. The semi wad cutters were accurate but a pain to seat. The flat points were not impressive.

noylj

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2011
    Have no idea how the SWCs could be hard to seat, if you flared the case mouth sufficiently (and the same flare is needed for the RN), unless you are using a RN seater plug for the SWC and the bullet just wobbles around in the seater plug. You can try a Lyman M-die to hold the bullet in the case square.
    I like to get custom seating plugs (I think last time Lee charged $12). For SWCs, I get a seating plug that ONLY contacts the shoulder of the bullet. This not only helps align the bullet going in the case, but it also means that once adjusted, it is set for ALL SWC bullets (no matter nose length), as the shoulder will hit the rifling first, so the shoulder is the control point for "COL."

Fullmag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Sep 4, 2011
    That is just it used the plug for SWC and round nose. If I wasn’t very careful seating then the case would bulge on one side at the bullet base in the case causing it to fail being gaged. The ogive on the MBC and Speers round nose bullets are very different.

Fullmag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Sep 4, 2011
    No seating and crimping separately. Running Dillon dies in fact on a 650 kinda why I don’t understand why I’m having problems. One brand of lead bullet gives me problems and another runs great using mixed brass.

boatswainsmate

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 20, 2014
    Howard County
    No seating and crimping separately. Running Dillon dies in fact on a 650 kinda why I don’t understand why I’m having problems. One brand of lead bullet gives me problems and another runs great using mixed brass.
    Are there marks on the bullets during seating? It might be the seating stem your using. I've had custom's made for a few of the bullets I load.(RCBS)

Fullmag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Sep 4, 2011
    No marks on the bullet. The case has a slight bulge about where bullet base stops sometimes on one side. I have to be very careful setting the bullets on the case or they lean to one side.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    No marks on the bullet. The case has a slight bulge about where bullet base stops sometimes on one side. I have to be very careful setting the bullets on the case or they lean to one side.
    What is your crimp measurement at the case mouth?

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    I cannot understand why you are having these problems. I've loaded literally tens of thousands of .45 ACP with lead SWC bullets and have never had to order any special die. I did get the modified Dillon seater plug (see previous post) that seats a SWC bullet by contacting the shoulder only. I have a Dillon 550 & 650 and have loaded .45 ACP on both over the years. Is there a possibility that the case isn't exactly aligned with the seater die at that station? Is it possible that your sizing die is sizing the brass too small? I would call Dillon and see if they have any ideas.

JHB

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 7, 2016
    Columbus
    Increase the flair and pay attention that the bullet is straight on the case. The problem of a intermittent bulge on one side is coming from the seater plug not being able to straighten the bullet before the bullet enters the case to far or not seating the case fully into the shell holder. Trying to run the press to fast will also cause this.
    As far as the M die goes in 40+ years reloading the only time I used one is for cast bullets in 223 and 308

Last edited:

Fullmag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Sep 4, 2011
    The die came in today. You were right, it did not touch in two stages just the flare part hit the case mouth. Sending it back. Think will I give
    Dillon a call.

Fullmag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Sep 4, 2011
    Not thinking this a die brand problem. Like the Dillon dies for a couple reasons. Bullet seating seems to be the issue so it could be the seating stem, could be OAL not being deep enough or loose nut seating the bullets. Just surprised how much easier the Speers loaded.

What is good OAL for 200 gr SWC? Light crimp or heavy crimp? Heavy crimp has been good from my experiences.

I really donÂ’t want to throw money at this problem much rather throw lead down range and being an accuracy junkie so this needs fixed.

200gr SWC

idp1.jpg
    200gr RnFp
    idp4xd.jpg

JHB

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 7, 2016
    Columbus
    What is the diameter of out side of the case mouth after flaring and is it constant or does it vary more than .005.

Top Bottom