Join INGunOwners For Free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Seating Bullets

User Info Menu

Seating Bullets

Loaded the last of Missouri Bullet Company rounds in 45 acp. Tried two different types of bullets both 200gr SWC and flat point RN. My experience was they did not seat very good. Added more flare on case mouth to help out and still had problems seating and gaging consistently. Then loaded 15 Speer 230gr round nose to test out. They were so much easier to set and gaged more consistently. The semi wad cutters were accurate but a pain to seat. The flat points were not impressive.

Plinker

User Info Menu

Have no idea how the SWCs could be hard to seat, if you flared the case mouth sufficiently (and the same flare is needed for the RN), unless you are using a RN seater plug for the SWC and the bullet just wobbles around in the seater plug. You can try a Lyman M-die to hold the bullet in the case square.
    I like to get custom seating plugs (I think last time Lee charged $12). For SWCs, I get a seating plug that ONLY contacts the shoulder of the bullet. This not only helps align the bullet going in the case, but it also means that once adjusted, it is set for ALL SWC bullets (no matter nose length), as the shoulder will hit the rifling first, so the shoulder is the control point for "COL."

User Info Menu

That is just it used the plug for SWC and round nose. If I wasnít very careful seating then the case would bulge on one side at the bullet base in the case causing it to fail being gaged. The ogive on the MBC and Speers round nose bullets are very different.

User Info Menu

Maybe the smaller size helped?

Speer are all sized in the standard "jacketed" size of .451, while Missouri uses the pretty standard .452 "lead" size.

https://www.speer-ammo.com/products/...caliber_s=.451

Missouri Bullet Company

User Info Menu

'I dont know what a gun free zone is. Ive never been to one. As soon as I arrive, it ceases to be one' - Ted Nugent

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by straight-shooter View Post
    It has very good reviews. Does it uses slower taper for expansion? Have experience with die? Yes I’m loading cast on these bullets and cast diameter is .452 both the MBC and Speer are cast.

User Info Menu

I load on a Dillon and this mades seating .45 ACP semi-wadcutter bullets easy: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Dillon-45-C...oAAOxyxU1Q7N2k

Plinker

User Info Menu

Are you seating and crimping in the same stage?
    Fair Winds and Following Seas

User Info Menu

No seating and crimping separately. Running Dillon dies in fact on a 650 kinda why I donít understand why Iím having problems. One brand of lead bullet gives me problems and another runs great using mixed brass.

Plinker

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Fullmag View Post
    No seating and crimping separately. Running Dillon dies in fact on a 650 kinda why I donít understand why Iím having problems. One brand of lead bullet gives me problems and another runs great using mixed brass.
    Are there marks on the bullets during seating? It might be the seating stem your using. I've had custom's made for a few of the bullets I load.(RCBS)
    Fair Winds and Following Seas

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast