• ...and so much more!
  • rich8483

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 30, 2009
    Crown Point - Lake County
    This question may seem odd.

I am not looking for advice on reloading but rather on a box of ammunition that has already been reloaded that I inherited in a lot of firearms and ammo.

I received a full/unfired box of 44-40 that were loaded by a place I believe in Silver Lake IN with a paper in it stating the following

.44-40
    December '14
    Case: WIN
    Primer: CCI 300
    Powder : TITE GROUP
    Wt: 6.0
    Bullet: 200grRN FP LEAD
    OAL: 1.580

1. Is there anything wrong with 4.5 year old ammo?
    2. What kind of velocity should I expect from 6 grains of tite group behind a 200 grain bullet of currently unknown diameter?
    3. What kind of pressure???.... is it safe to shoot in model '92 Rossi reproduction?

Thanks for any and all help.

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    Looking quickly in 50th lyman manual, 200gr JHP max load is 6.0 grains Titegroup at oal of 1.592"

For 200gr lead cast it shows OAL of 1.580" with start load of 5.7 grain with max load 6.4 grain

As far as being 5 years old if it was loaded and stored right there should be no issue, however it doesnt seem like you know the whole history of these being part of a package deal.

Always be careful with reloads especially ones that you're not sure of the history.

Michigan Slim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2014
    Fort Wayne
    I was just given a bunch of handloaded .45 Colt and ACP. I broke them down. The brass is done cleaned and I'm melting the bullets into new ones this week.
    Sounds like the LABEL says it's a safe load. How you proceed is up to you.

JHB

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 7, 2016
    Columbus
    The load looks like a safe load my question is does what the label says it is match what it really is. I would break them down and dump the powder. My hand and gun are worth more to me than a box of unknown reloads. I learned the hard way don't trust other peoples reloads even if you see them shooting them. All you need is one over charge believe me it hurts.

AmmoManAaron

Master
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Feb 20, 2015
    I-get-around
    It's sounds like your ammo was made or reloaded by a small, but possibly legitimate licensed outfit. What is the name? Some have a good reputation and some not so much.

FWIW - Your Rossi 92 rifle is a fairly strong gun. It's been chambered in a variety of calibers, including 44 Mag which runs at much higher pressure than 44-40 Win.

Alpo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 23, 2014
    Indy Metro Area
    It's sounds like your ammo was made or reloaded by a small, but possibly legitimate licensed outfit. What is the name? Some have a good reputation and some not so much.

FWIW - Your Rossi 92 rifle is a fairly strong gun. It's been chambered in a variety of calibers, including 44 Mag which runs at much higher pressure than 44-40 Win.

The 92 Winchester models are extremely strong actions.

AmmoManAaron

Master
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Feb 20, 2015
    I-get-around
    The paper says "Rose Reloading LLC"

He's still in business and has been for quite a while. He does gunshows in the northern half of the state, but sometimes does an Indy show. I've bought components and dies from him at shows a couple of different times and he always dealt with me fairly. If it were me and my gun, I would shoot his ammo and not be too concerned about it.

Any time I shoot something unfamiliar - no matter who made it (Winchester, Remington, military surplus, or my own handloads) - I always examine the first casing after firing and examine it. If the shot sounded and felt normal, and the casing looks good, I continue and check the next couple of shots. If everything is still feeling, sounding, and looking good, I plink away. I'm probably overly cautious, but I like to pay attention to the details of what is going on with what I'm shooting.

Top Bottom