Join INGunOwners For Free

User Info Menu

7.62x54r Reloading

I have some 174gr SMK .311 bullets. I want to reload for my Mosin Nagant M44.
    I have CFE223 and Winchester 748 on hand. Has anyone found an accurate load using these powders with the above bullet?

I'm currently working with CFE223 been working up from start load I just tried 46gr it got a 2.75" group which is the best so far. Going to try 46.5gr today and see if that doesn't tighten up the group.
    Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends.

User Info Menu

Just wanted to update on my progress.
    I found a nice load.
    48gr CFE 223
    COL:2.855
    174gr SMK
    CCI 250 primers
    PPU Cases.
    AVG FPS: 2509

I was able to get a 5 shot group 1.75" at 100 yards today. It was my best. The avg group size was 2.5". the largest being 2.75" I used a tape measure to check the sizes.
    Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends.

User Info Menu

A 1.75 inch group at 100 yards out of an M44 is respectable.

You might try slugging the bore. If it's on the larger side you may get a little better accuracy from .312 diameter bullets.
    Veterans Crisis Line 1-800-273-8255 press 1 to talk to someone now or text 838255 available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 365 days a year.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfhound View Post
    A 1.75 inch group at 100 yards out of an M44 is respectable.

You might try slugging the bore. If it's on the larger side you may get a little better accuracy from .312 diameter bullets.
    Okay will try that I have some buckshot laying around somewhere.