Join INGunOwners For Free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Plinker

User Info Menu

9mm 147 gr Blue Bullet USPSA minor PF load

Having some trouble tracking down reliable data. Probably because I'm so new at this and not understanding everything I'm reading. Hoping someone here can help me with my first reloading experience.

I have two types of bullets from blue bullets and I'm trying to work up a load with Alliant Unique powder. I also have some 124 gr. These loads are for minimum PF for USPSA so, since I don't have a chrono, as long as my minimum charge gets me a little over 130 PF I'm happy.

If you have a recipe or some info on this please let me know.

Here's where I'm currently at

Loading for a CZ Shadow 2

147 gr RN Blue Bullet
    3.8-4.1 gr of Alliant Unique (trying to decide between starting @ 3.8 or 4)
    OAL- 1.1? (I'll do a plunk test)

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

If you have a recipe for the 124 gr RN as well I'll take anything you can give me.

Appreciate it!

Marksman

User Info Menu

I have several CZ’s make sure you do the plunk test most CZ need there oal shorter.

Plinker

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Steel and wood View Post
    I have several CZ’s make sure you do the plunk test most CZ need there oal shorter.
    I'm also trying to understand how important OAL is in all this. I see people using a different OAL all the time. Somewhere between 1.10-1.25 in the Shadow 2 and 1.11-1.15 in everything else I see. I measured the factory loads I've been putting in it (federal) and they're 1.15 so I basically just arbitrarily chose 1.14.

I understand that I can figure out the exact OAL for my barrel but I would rather get a load worked up that just works at first. I would also like to be making ammo that I could shoot in any of my pistols for now until I get a little more specialized.

I hope that choosing the 1.14 OAL will suffice for that purpose.

Plinker

User Info Menu

I also found out late last night that the dillon carbide die set I got does not flare the case mouth. It uses the powder measure to do this. Since I bought everything used I didn't realize so I had to buy another set of dies last night so I could get an expanding die. So I'm out of commission for a bit anyway until the shipment arrives
    Last edited by Nepherael; 4 Weeks Ago at 11:38.

User Info Menu

I have learned now from experience. If you are reloading for guns with tight chambers (CZ, Walther PPQ, 1911), invest in a Wilson Cartridge gauge. There seems to be enough range brass run through Glocks and 9mm major that it can cause problems. My guns were not going into battery and the case gauge solved the problem with my 1911. The left over reloads go in the “Glock Food” pile.

CZs need to be loaded shorter. I will admit I don’t load for CZ. Going off what I have been told by a CZ guy. OAL affects pressure. Shorter OAL = more pressure. Unique should be forgiving though.

Unique is pretty dirty and doesn’t meter the best. But the new unique is better from what I have been told. The trend in USPSA is heavy bullet, fast powder.

Internet reload recipes are at your own risk! Cough, cough...... that said I am using HP-38/Win231. Just because I suppose. I just opened my last 8 lb jug. HiTek Coated lead bullets. 124 grain bullet = 4.1 grains, 135 grain RN = 3.7 gr HP-38, 147 grain bullet = 3.4 grain HP-38. I am loading round nose between 1.12”-1.13”
    Last edited by VERT; 4 Weeks Ago at 09:16.
    "Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side kid." - Han Solo

Plinker

User Info Menu

I'm not sure how new my unique powder is since I got it with the press from a guy that's been reloading like 30 years. Super nice guy but the press was bare so over the last 2 weeks I keep finding out I'm missing one more thing to allow me to load.

Hp-38 and win231... are these fast burning? I don't mind switching to a different powder when I can afford it, especially if unique is going to dirty the hell out of my gun.

So far all I understand about OAL is that it can affect chambering, accuracy, and pressure. Just not the minute details as to how to find magic in the correct OAL for my gun yet. So as long as the round chambers and fires everything is good right? As in, I can always tailor it more later when I have more equipment and understanding, but as long as it plunks, chambers, and fires correctly at 1.14 I'm good right?

Edit: just to add, I do not use range brass. All of my brass is factory ammunition once fired by me only. I train often enough that I won't have a shortage of federal brass for a long time.
    Last edited by Nepherael; 4 Weeks Ago at 13:49.

User Info Menu

You can look up a powder burn rate chart. HP-38 & Win 231 are the same powder. I would consider it to be medium in burn rate for a pistol powder. It had been around for years and is sort of a jack of all trades, master of none choice. Sort of like Unique in that respect. I have found it meters well and load data is easy to find. You could use it to load pretty much any pistol cartridge. With heavy bullets it shoots soft in 9mm.
    "Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side kid." - Han Solo

Marksman

User Info Menu

I can not help you with your powder I use VV 320, so mine would be very different than yours. How I check my oal was to run it through my Dillon with out primer or powder just de- prime and re- size and then bell the case with out powder then set my Bullet then crimp it.
    Now I plunk it in my barrel and make sure it’s all the way in and then turn it, if it does not turn it’s in the rifling And needs to be shorter. And yes the shorter the bullet the more pressure you have that’s why you always start low on your charge.
    I load all my 9 mm for my CZ’s but they will will in my 1911 and my other 9 mm.
    There are better people on here that will be around that can explain it better than I am. Just start below your max load, make sure your oal is good.
    My factory loads work great in my CZ’s but not my re- loads at the same oal I had to go shorter because mine were hitting the rifling and had a hard time ejecting a loaded round to show clear.

User Info Menu

Unique is fine to use if you already have it but there are better options. 231 is another general powder that is okay for a lot of things but I don't think it shines anywhere.

Titegroup is a cheap favorite but it gets the gun hot and dirty (if you care about that). N320 is another favorite, similar burn rate but doesn't get the gun as hot and runs cleaner. However, it's expensive. Sport Pistol is a newer powder that a lot of people like. If I didn't have a lifetime stock pile of Titegroup, I'd probably look at Sport Pistol.
    Last edited by romack991; 4 Weeks Ago at 17:09.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Nepherael View Post
    I'm also trying to understand how important OAL is in all this. I see people using a different OAL all the time. Somewhere between 1.10-1.25 in the Shadow 2 and 1.11-1.15 in everything else I see. I measured the factory loads I've been putting in it (federal) and they're 1.15 so I basically just arbitrarily chose 1.14.

I understand that I can figure out the exact OAL for my barrel but I would rather get a load worked up that just works at first. I would also like to be making ammo that I could shoot in any of my pistols for now until I get a little more specialized.

I hope that choosing the 1.14 OAL will suffice for that purpose.
    Check out this thread and it's excellent posts by "wobbly".....https://czfirearms.us/index.php?topic=34225.0

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast