• ...and so much more!
  • doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I was looking for some range/target 10 mm ammo to test out a Ruger SR1911 10 mm that I traded for (just for fun since I'd never had that caliber).
    I called my most often used range, and they were out.
    Wal Mart didn't carry it.
    Dick's Sporting Goods didn't carry it.

I called Point Blank in Greenwood where I go sometimes and they had some Mag Tech brand for $20/box of 50.
    I was told to stay away from Mag Tech b/c it was very dirty.
    Is it really any dirtier than other less expensive brands in 10mm?

I would be glad to trade some 9mm or even 22LR to get a box or two of 10mm to do a function check on my "new" 10mm if someone lives fairly close to Wanamaker.
    Like .32 or .40 caliber, I don't want to buy it in bulk to get a better price b/c I don't intend to shoot 1000 rounds of it quickly, unlike 9mm or 22LR.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    Unfortunately, I think you may have to mail order it, or order online, to feel like you didn’t overpay.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    SG has S&B for $14.95 and PPU for $15.95 according to the newsletter I got today.

I saw those good prices when I did a search!
    Do I stay away from Mag Tech b/c it is excessively dirty?

Check your LGS. I'm sure they will have something.

Don't know how long I'll have to wait for them to get some in but I will be there Thursday pm to sell a gun, so I want to have some 10mm to try out the Ruger by then.
    Probably have to pick some up at Point Blank, but the traffic down here on the SE side of Indy makes that daunting.

Also. Really? Shopping at Dick's????

I'll add to my guilt by saying I bought swim goggles there twice this summer.

Unfortunately, I think you may have to mail order it, or order online, to feel like you didn’t overpay.

I can see that handwriting on the wall.
    Paying $15ish dollars for a $15 box of ammo is more than I can live with: just as soon give the money to my local LGS since I don't need but a "trial" box or two.
    I shot my favorite member's Tanfoglio 10mm sometime in the past year, but I didn't shoot but a very few rounds (b/c of ammo prices) since I didn't have any 10mm ammo to replace theirs and I would not shoot up another person's ammo.

^^^^This^^^^^^
    I own a few 10mm's and they love to eat the spicy stuff. On line.

I figured you had a "few" of the "big boy" guns!
    By the way, loved those pics awhile back of your work outside in the yard, really awesome example for the neighbors!
    Our 3 tomato plants have produced a whopping 5 tomatoes so far this year.

COOPADUP

Accipiter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 8, 2017
    Hamilton County
    Never shot that round before and can't say I've seen on the shelves either.
    How punchy does it feel to shoot ? That 1911 platform probably manages it real nice.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    How punchy does it feel to shoot ? That 1911 platform probably manages it real nice.

All of mine are 1911's.
    Depends on what level load you are running. The Wizard loaded me up some of his light show fire ball specials and you do know what you have when you touch one off. Not .357 level feedback but a step or 2 above target .45ACP loads.

Sigblitz

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 25, 2018
    Indianapolis

It started out as a hot load. Then it was necked down to 40S&W because the FBI cried it hurt their soft hands. So they started dropping the charge in the 10. But it's available with a muzzle velocity from 1000 to 2500 ft/sec.
    I remember the early Colt Deltas split a few slides because they couldn't handle the hot stuff. Glock g20 is the way to go if 10mm is your ammo. 1911 frames can have feed issues because, really, it's too long for that platform. But where there's a will....

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    It started out as a hot load. Then it was necked down to 40S&W because the FBI cried it hurt their soft hands. So they started dropping the charge in the 10. But it's available with a muzzle velocity from 1000 to 2500 ft/sec.
    I remember the early Colt Deltas split a few slides because they couldn't handle the hot stuff. Glock g20 is the way to go if 10mm is your ammo. 1911 frames can have feed issues because, really, it's too long for that platform. But where there's a will....

Mine are all custom pieces. Never an issue except the cost to feed them.....:):

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    I'm a big fan of at least 1 of those pistols. *sigh*

There's a Witness Hunter 10mm in the adds that I'd dearly love to own. But I really don't need it. At all.

I want that same pistol. Having a hard time pulling the trigger as i keep telling myself do i really need another caliber to have to stock and reload for

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    As to the Ops question if you're ever up in Nwi, both cabelas and Bass pro keep 10mm in stock.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    You're right. Cabelas in Fishers has a good variety.

I knew Cabelas would have it but they are far away from Wanamaker.
    While waiting on the dentist I’ll check my GPS to see how the traffic looks.
    Yes I am up in Oaklandon right now and have thought about trying to make the drive up to fishers afraid of traffic being backed up since 465 is such a mess.

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    I knew Cabelas would have it but they are far away from Wanamaker.
    While waiting on the dentist I’ll check my GPS to see how the traffic looks.
    Yes I am up in Oaklandon right now and have thought about trying to make the drive up to fishers afraid of traffic being backed up since 465 is such a mess.

Cabelas is free shipping over $50. 3-4 boxes should put you there

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    Probably a safe guess it won’t take 4 boxes to clear the $50. 3 maybe. Possibly 2.

Ive seen plinking rounds at Cabelas for about $17 a box of 50, so 3 should do the trick. Ive always gotten my ammo, when shipped, in 2 days too.

Also could check and see if Academy carries any online. They're free shipping over $25

Top Bottom