Did you guys buy once cry once? Or upgrade over time?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Abominator

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 22, 2019
    Auburn
    Wading into the depths of looking for my 1st foray into reloading. So many options and price points. New, used, cheap, expensive. If you had to do all over again what would you do and why? Some of the reloading room pics on this forum are just incredible btw.

Last edited by a moderator:

Good on paper

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 18, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I don’t reload for rifles, high volume pistol only.
    I started out with a Lee Classic Turret then a Lee Loadmaster once I started shooting USPSA a fair amount then finally a Dillon 650.
    The Loadmaster put out between 12 and 15k rounds fairly well with some amount of tinkering but was starting to wear out small parts and generally not run all that well so I drank the blue kool aide. I hate to admit it but the Dillon is worlds apart, smooth and consistent and well designed and made.
    If I had to do it over I’d still start on the Lee turret but skip the Loadmaster

clelaj

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 2, 2009
    Indy - North
    I started with Lee Classic Turret Press and dies in 38/357 as that was my first firearm. Ran it as single station until I got confident with the process. Simple to set up and maintain. Has served me well for over 10 years. I load only handgun calibers. Note I reload hundreds across multiple calibers. So turret press is right for me. If it were 1000 per week, then a progressive press more appropriate. I would still suggest start with a turret press and grow from there.

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    I mostly load rifle- .223, but also 9mm (which is generally a waste of time).

I went with a single stage and so far the output rate works for me, but I only get to shoot once a month or so on long guns and handguns about quarterly.

I got a nicer press (MEC) and went cheap on several other items. Lee dies and scoops. Lee auto drum measure (just got, but so far it's great). Cheap Amazon digital scale.

Splurged on creedmoor dies and got Forster sizer and micrometer seater.

Lilboog82

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 26, 2014
    Indiana
    I did the buy once and cry once. I went with the Dillon square deal B. I always believe in you get what you pay for, therefore I always buy quality anymore. I don’t reload rifle so the square deal b was it for me. Been loving mine so far...so smooth and consistent.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I bought a RCBS Rockchucker. Only loader I have ever had and it's all I use. I enjoy reloading and don't shoot enough volume to want a progressive loader.

If I was to buy one, most likely it would be a Dillon 650 or maybe a 550, I'm not really sure.

1775usmarine

Sleeper
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    81   0   0
    Feb 15, 2013
    IN
    Started on a rcbs reloader special 5 single stage and now also have a dillon 450, square deal, and lee single.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    I reload for a lot of cartridges, keeping old guns and odd cartridges going been a great experience, but it's like collecting reloading equipment and tools.

red_zr24x4

UA#190
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Walkerton
    I started with a Lee turret press, then picked up a RCBS Rockchucker.
    After about 10 years my brother picked up
    a used Dillon 450 which he upgraded to a 550. Then we inherited another 450 that I upgraded to a 550. Then we were given a 650 with all the bells and whistles.
    If I had to do it over, I'd still buy the Lee and Rockchucker but, wouldn't wait as long to get into a Dillon

Backpacker

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Apr 5, 2008
    Greenwood
    Some forty years ago, I started with a RCBS Rock Chucker. About 17 years ago, I switched to a Redding T-7 turret press. The convenience of leaving the dies set up in the turret makes it simple to load 10 or 100 with no die changes. I use three dies for 9mm and four dies for 45 acp. These are the only cartridges I currently load. It's a hobby that I enjoy and don't crank out more than 200 to 300 rounds a month. Also helps that I am retired and have time available.

Decide which type of press such as single stage, turret or progressive you want. Buy the best you can afford to begin with.

Goodcat

From a place you cannot see…
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    151   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    New Pal
    Lee turret is an EXCELLENT starter press. Fast enough for sure for low volume shooters and outstanding to learn on. I’ve got Hornady Ammo Plant, another LNL AP and single stage now. But I would recommend the Lee Classic Turret Press for a beginner. If you remove the indexing rod, it acts like a single stage

Michigan Slim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2014
    Fort Wayne
    On the advice of a good friend I bought a Dillon 550B in 2008 as my first press. Now my daughter has her own 550 too. We reload 16 different rifle and pistol calibers on those two presses. Bought once, cried never. Easy to learn on and a press for a lifetime. or two.

Steel and wood

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 23, 2016
    Tipton
    I only load for pistols, did not know what to get for my first press found a use Dillon 550 and snap it up bought Dillon dies and a good scale. I have enjoyed it.

Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Oct 3, 2008
    On a hill in Perry C
    Started with a used Lyman turret over 30 years ago. Still use it today. Since I reload for only 3 rifle chamberings, don't even have to take the dies out. Have upgraded my powder measure and scales over time. Still prime with a Lee hand primer that's probably close to 20 years old. Most of my setup is old and is slow (kinda like me!) but I don't load hundreds of rounds a month so it works fine for me.

Sirshredalot

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 15, 2011
    Muncie
    Started with a pro 1000, then moved to a rock chucker and lee turret, then a dillon 550.

Should have gotten the rockchucker and 550 from the beginning.

If you buy a progressive, there is only one color worth considering..blue.

Shred

ljk

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    May 21, 2013
    Started with a Lee Breech Lock, then Dillon 550, added 2 more Dillon 650 with Case feeders.

Still have all 4 of them, each holds their own place.

harleymac1

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 19, 2013
    Morgan County
    Started with a Lee Classic Turret and ran that for about 4 years. Decided to start looking into USPSA shooting so drank the blue Kool Aid at Christmas and bought a Dillon 650. 550 would have probably been just fine but the auto index of the 650 sure is a very nice extra that really allows you to produce rounds quickly. No more laboring in the garage for hours to pump out a couple hundred rounds.

Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    Started on a Lee single stage for about ten years. Ran into a good deal on a Dillon Square Deal. It was amazing!

Sold them both for a profit and bought a new Dillon XL650 with case feeder. Stuck an RCBS turret off to the side for rifle stuff and playing with.

Should have never got a single stage. Having auto index is worth every penny. Takes the time burglar away.

If I had to do it over buy the Dillon!

schmart

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 10, 2014
    Lafayette
    I started out with a Lee Turret press, then moved to a Lee Pro-1000. The turret press was excellent to learn with. The Pro-1000 was VERY finicky and would miss primers and the auto disk powder drops started sticking and wouldn't drop powder on random cartridges. I couldn't easily see into the cases and ended up with too many squibs. Finally upgraded to a Hornady lock-n-load and have probably loaded over 15K since then. Looking back, I think the Turret was a good starter as it can work as a single stage but the turret makes volume loading easier, but I wish I'd have skipped the Pro-1000.

when I upgraded from the Pro-1000, I wanted a fully progressive so the Dillon square deal b and 550 were out. I didn't like the 650 priming mechanism as it would eject live primers if they weren't inserted into a case such as would happen if you were working up a load and only running 5-10 cases to test. Running the press to empty would eject primers. Now that Dillon has came out with 750 with a primer shuttle my decision would be much harder.
    --Rick

NKBJ

at the ark
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2010
    Started with a 2nd hand RCBS in the mid 1970's.
    A few years ago upgraded with a bigger 2nd hand RCBS.
    Lets me swage rifling.
    :)

Top Bottom