• ...and so much more!
  • Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    For use in a 20" Henry. Power isn't a concern, but I'd like the flattest shooting and most consistent/accurate I can find.

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    You don't need flat shooting, because nothing does that except Stinger, and most rifles do not group very well with it.

What you DO need is enough ammo to practice a fair amount (and develop an idea of elevation dope at ranges from 5-60 yards or so), and you need the chosen ammo to be PRECISE in your rifle.

Headshots* are the only word, and if the Henry, or you, or the ammo, are not up to that, then something needs to change to get it done.

*...and with cranial impacts, the type of .22LR round (or even CB longs) is mostly irrelevant.

-Nate

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    What you DO need is enough ammo to practice a fair amount (and develop an idea of elevation dope at ranges from 5-60 yards or so), and you need the chosen ammo to be PRECISE in your rifle.

Nominations for a short list to test side-by-side?

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    Concur, although, honestly, I stick with "Standard Velocity" ~1,050-1,100 fps ammo. It usually shoots better-er than anything faster, and it for SURE shoots better past 50 yards or so.

On my list would be:

CCI Standard Velocity
    Federal 40gr Gold Medal
    Eley Target (yellow box)
    SK Standard Plus or SK Rifle Match

ONE of those will shoot.

But the caveat is that if you elect to start taking chest shots, the LRN bullets I suggest are going to punch little holes...not that most "HP" designs do much.

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    361   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    I would agree with natdscott as well. If we are talking squirrels and rabbits and you are going for head shots, I might stick with SV or even minimags. In most of my rifles CCI has been very consistent.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    I now use CCI segmented 32gr HP only. They are devastating on coon. I no longer need 2 or 3 shots 1 shot anywhere on the body kills them.

Gabriel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 3, 2010
    The shore of wonderful Lake Michigan
    I use CCI SV when hunting raccoons (If I'm not using my .17HMR or .410).

Accuracy and shot placement are more important than the bullet type IMHO. As stated earlier, round testing to see what works best in your specific rifle is key. Granted, you really only need it to be MOS (minute of squirrel). You just want to make sure you aren't using something your rifle really hates and are getting 5-10 inch groups at 25 yards with or something crazy like that.

bigedp51

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 30, 2011
    3GRNRS1.jpg

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County

Accuracy and shot placement are more important than the bullet type IMHO. As stated earlier, round testing to see what works best in your specific rifle is key. Granted, you really only need it to be MOS (minute of squirrel). You just want to make sure you aren't using something your rifle really hates and are getting 5-10 inch groups at 25 yards with or something crazy like that.

I have my rifle shot in at 25 yards. Around here them coon seem to find the tallest trees (around 75 - 80'), and run to the top. However, my airplane landing light I use turns it into daylight lol. I have a Red Tick and a Redbone. Both getting old on me.

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    CCI Velocitor. Excellent terminal performance and above average speed to keep it a little flatter.

Can almost guarantee this will not group worth a ****.

Eley subsonic. SK std. If you absolutely must go supersonic then RWS high velocity HP may be the ticket. RWS subs shoot well in some of my .22's as well. Every .22 will have a preference. Buy several brands and test. Only way you'll know for sure.

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    Concur, although, honestly, I stick with "Standard Velocity" ~1,050-1,100 fps ammo. It usually shoots better-er than anything faster, and it for SURE shoots better past 50 yards or so.

On my list would be:

CCI Standard Velocity
    Federal 40gr Gold Medal
    Eley Target (yellow box)
    SK Standard Plus or SK Rifle Match

ONE of those will shoot.

But the caveat is that if you elect to start taking chest shots, the LRN bullets I suggest are going to punch little holes...not that most "HP" designs do much.

I beg to differ on the hollow point statement. Much better transfer of the kinetic energy with a HP. My home made SV flat nosed HP will whack the snot out of a squirrel or a coon. Having shot 100's of skwerls with several dozen different ammo types I can unequivically state that the HP will do a better job with fewer crawl off's than any solid of the same caliber at .22 rimfire speeds.

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree

Accuracy and shot placement are more important than the bullet type IMHO. As stated earlier, round testing to see what works best in your specific rifle is key. Granted, you really only need it to be MOSE (minute of squirrel eye). You just want to make sure you aren't using something your rifle really hates and are getting 5-10 inch groups at 25 yards with or something crazy like that.

FTFY. You wanna hit where you're aiming, don't you? Not just somewhere nearby?

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    I've got several types of 22lr ammo. I'll shoot groups at 25 yards and post pictures. It will be from a stainless steel Ruger 10/22. As soon as the rain allows me to.

ROLEXrifleman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    NW Indiana
    As mentioned earlier, I too use CCI segmented and can attest to how devistating it is. I however use the 40 grain @1050fps variety. The main reason, also mentioned earlier, is so that I can shoot a ton of ammo to become proficient with it. The key is that the cci segmented I use is the same velocity and weight as CCI SV, which I buy for like $24 a brick. With the exception of a slight difference in bullet ballistic coefficient, they group exactly the same in my guns. I have taken down about every backyard bully known to man between 15 and 60 yards with CCI ammo. For me their is no other choice.

ROLEXrifleman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    NW Indiana

Here is a typical 5 shot group with cci SV. This is a .471” group at 30 yards with a cz 457

i run a Ruger rimfire Precision, cz 455 American and a 457 provarmint. All shoot with minimal poi shift when suppressed

Last edited:
    Top Bottom