Join INGunOwners For Free
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Ark

User Info Menu

Favorite .22lr small game ammo?

For use in a 20" Henry. Power isn't a concern, but I'd like the flattest shooting and most consistent/accurate I can find.

Expert

User Info Menu

You don't need flat shooting, because nothing does that except Stinger, and most rifles do not group very well with it.

What you DO need is enough ammo to practice a fair amount (and develop an idea of elevation dope at ranges from 5-60 yards or so), and you need the chosen ammo to be PRECISE in your rifle.

Headshots* are the only word, and if the Henry, or you, or the ammo, are not up to that, then something needs to change to get it done.

*...and with cranial impacts, the type of .22LR round (or even CB longs) is mostly irrelevant.

-Nate
    President's Hundred
    A2 Service Rifle High Master XC
    Distinguished Rifleman
    1,000 yd A2 Service Rifle Expert
    Incessant Tinkerer

Ark

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by natdscott View Post
    What you DO need is enough ammo to practice a fair amount (and develop an idea of elevation dope at ranges from 5-60 yards or so), and you need the chosen ammo to be PRECISE in your rifle.
    Nominations for a short list to test side-by-side?

Snowman's Blocker aka Bandit mcapo's Avatar

User Info Menu

I have found CCI SGB to be a great little round.

Id put that one on your test list.
    Don't blame me....it is Turbo's fault.

User Info Menu

CCI Velocitor. Excellent terminal performance and above average speed to keep it a little flatter.
    "If you are mad as hell and aren't gonna take it anymore, grab your rifle and head outside. If you're the only one with a rifle screaming like a maniac, go back inside. It isn't time yet"

"I saw a movie once where only the police and military had guns. It was called Schindler's List."

Expert

User Info Menu

Concur, although, honestly, I stick with "Standard Velocity" ~1,050-1,100 fps ammo. It usually shoots better-er than anything faster, and it for SURE shoots better past 50 yards or so.

On my list would be:

CCI Standard Velocity
    Federal 40gr Gold Medal
    Eley Target (yellow box)
    SK Standard Plus or SK Rifle Match

ONE of those will shoot.

But the caveat is that if you elect to start taking chest shots, the LRN bullets I suggest are going to punch little holes...not that most "HP" designs do much.
    President's Hundred
    A2 Service Rifle High Master XC
    Distinguished Rifleman
    1,000 yd A2 Service Rifle Expert
    Incessant Tinkerer

User Info Menu

I would agree with natdscott as well. If we are talking squirrels and rabbits and you are going for head shots, I might stick with SV or even minimags. In most of my rifles CCI has been very consistent.
    "If you are mad as hell and aren't gonna take it anymore, grab your rifle and head outside. If you're the only one with a rifle screaming like a maniac, go back inside. It isn't time yet"

"I saw a movie once where only the police and military had guns. It was called Schindler's List."

User Info Menu

I now use CCI segmented 32gr HP only. They are devastating on coon. I no longer need 2 or 3 shots 1 shot anywhere on the body kills them.
    Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends.

Plinker

User Info Menu

I like Agulia subsonics. Quiet and very accurate. Just my 2

User Info Menu

I use CCI SV when hunting raccoons (If I'm not using my .17HMR or .410).

Accuracy and shot placement are more important than the bullet type IMHO. As stated earlier, round testing to see what works best in your specific rifle is key. Granted, you really only need it to be MOS (minute of squirrel). You just want to make sure you aren't using something your rifle really hates and are getting 5-10 inch groups at 25 yards with or something crazy like that.

Medium speed. Moderate drag.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast