• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bobby

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 14, 2008
    Muncie/New Castle
    I was at the Muncie gun show over the weekend and picked up a box of .44 mag ammunition with coated bullets sourced from Missouri Bullet Co. Last time I checked out coated bullets on the Internet there wasn't too many sources. Most "coated" bullets had a moly type coating on them. Fast forward to last night and it looks like there are quite a few options offering powder coated lead bullets. The box I picked up from the one of the guys at the show are some really soft shooting .44 magnums. So, I am thinking about loading up some light .44 magnums for practice. The price difference between plated/fmj .44 caliber vs. the lead option is dramatic. Who are the go-to powdercoated lead bullet manufacturers in 2019? Thanks in advance!

schmart

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 10, 2014
    Lafayette
    I personally prefer S&S casting bullets ( https://www.snscasting.com/ )as their coating is very smooth. A warning that myself and a couple others had issues w/ the 115gn RN 9mm bullets chambering in our M&P pistols. Several other M&Ps had no issues though and no other brands had the same issue.

Others who shoot regularly with me shoot blue bullets ( https://www.thebluebullets.com/ ). Although the coating is much preferred, the blue coating still does get on your fingers.

One other shot eggleston ( https://www.egglestonmunitions.com/ )and really liked them, but that was when they were in Colorado. They've moved to California in the past year so don't know how they compare to previous stock.

--Rick

t-squared

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 9, 2012
    Crown Point

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    I cast and powder coat all my pistol bullets anymore.
    Great accuracy,no leading and no more lube.
    Its really improved my shooting!

Been thinking about getting into that. For a nice starter kit what would it run? Local garage said he Had 12x 5 gallon buckets of lead wheel weights he'd let me have. What would I need to add to wheel weights to get the hardness up to say 16-18?

MuncieFud

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 8, 2018
    Muncie
    The Blue Bullets is the company I use. Honestly I haven't tried any of the other but I haven't really seen a need too. Last I saw they were the most used bullets at USPSA nationals, if some of the best handgun shooters in the U.S. use them, they're good enough for me.

Shootin45super

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 27, 2019
    Bloomington
    Why are you wanting the hardness that hard?
    And if powdercoating you can use softer lead.
    I cast and powdercoat for 10mm,45acp and 44 mag.
    I mix ww 50/50 with pure lead and add .03% tin.
    As for the powdercoating,you need a toaster over or I use a regular over that wont ever be used to cook food with.
    For under $100 you can powdercoat your own bullets.
    1 lb powder is less then $20 and will do ALOT of bullets.
    If you need help,pm me

bgcatty

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Sep 9, 2011
    Carmel
    SnS Casting has great coated bullets. I’ve reloaded thousands in .38, .357, .44 Special, . 44 Magnum, .45 Colt, and .45 acp. The projectiles have been consistently sized and are very accurate once you do your testing and get your loads “in the zone” for each caliber and your firearms. Best of luck.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    For stronger bullets and deeper penetration without deformation.

My double tap 200gr WFNGC are around 20-21..I'd like to mimic there bullet.

That may work for your specific hunting or SD round, but may be overkill for general shooting? The harder you get the more you get into the more expensive bullet mix components that you will purchase to add to your mix. As you change and adapt your mix, your boolit weight will vary also.

YMMV, but my experience is that there is a bit of a learning curve to get the whole casting thing working smoothly. I've been at it a few years and still it takes me longer that expected most every session to get nice boolits dropping.

Top Bottom