Why isn't the price on ammo going through the roof?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • inchrisin

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 8, 2015
    Indianapolis
    They're coming to take our guns!!!

That said, I'm kind of surprised that prices of ammo and guns hasn't skyrocketed like it did under the Obama admin. Does anyone have any idea why? Trump doesn't seem to be on our side anymore either.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    They're coming to take our guns!!!

That said, I'm kind of surprised that prices of ammo and guns hasn't skyrocketed like it did under the Obama admin. Does anyone have any idea why? Trump doesn't seem to be on our side anymore either.

There won't be a panic unless Democrat's take the senate or the white house or both. Or Trump who has already banned bump stocks from the white house decides to ban braces, mag capacity, or evil semi-automatic rifles. Personally I'm on the fence with Trump. He does any more bans or stupid gun laws he loses my vote. I'll vote for myself instead.

Goodcat

From a place you cannot see…
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    151   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    New Pal
    Enough of us said “never again” after running out of ammo for some firearms many years ago. We’ve had many years to ensure it doesn’t happen again.

Phase2

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    As noted above, those with the wisdom and resources have learned the lessons and stocked up and have little need to rush out for ammo. At most, if they are starting to be concerned, they are topping off storage.

Also, during the Obama "salesman of the year" period with regular ammo shortages, ammo makers increased capacity. They are in better shape to handle it if/when buying pressure increases again.

If you are concerned, stock up now. We are in a golden age with ammo as cheap (inflation adjusted) and high quality as it has ever been.

KittySlayer

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Northeast IN
    Wasn’t one of the previous excuses that the Federal Government was stockpiling millions of rounds of ammo at the alphabet agencies thus sucking up the production capacity.

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    Wasn’t one of the previous excuses that the Federal Government was stockpiling millions of rounds of ammo at the alphabet agencies thus sucking up the production capacity.

Not as much of an excuse as it was a factor affecting supply at the same time there was a significant spike in demand. Then again alphabet soup agencies don't buy .22 LR.

I remember going in a Bass Pro Shop in early 2013. If your handgun was .40 S&W or .45 Long Colt they had ammo.

wingrider1800

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 27, 2014
    Harrison County
    There won't be a panic unless Democrat's take the senate or the white house or both. Or Trump who has already banned bump stocks from the white house decides to ban braces, mag capacity, or evil semi-automatic rifles. Personally I'm on the fence with Trump. He does any more bans or stupid gun laws he loses my vote. I'll vote for myself instead.
    I don't trust trump for a second but it has come down to damage control. Lucas for president.

maxwelhse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2018
    Michiana
    I believe it's mostly because most gun owners are highly reactionary. Just the fact that likely most of us are "CCW" holders and reading up on topics probably puts us in the top 10% of being informed on the issues and general 2A concerns. I believe the other 90% assume that as long as there isn't a Dem in the White House, that it's party time. As we're seeing, that may not be the case.

And yes, most of us who got caught with our pants down during the Obama years have learned our lesson and stocked up. I have enough .22 to go for a very, very, long time and will probably buy an equal amount between now and 2020 (hoping to get up to where I seriously question whether or not I could use it all in a lifetime).

That said, I still see prices as being inflated. .22 is at least double what it was 10 years ago. .45 and 9 seem to have outpaced inflation, but not nearly so much as deuce-deuce.

STEEL CORE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Oct 29, 2008
    Fishers
    Depends, I shoot twice a month rotating calibers and pistols, when I bought bulk, I found SGAMMO.COM my place to go, still is, but since I shopped the 96th St Fishers, Wal Mart or Beach Grove Wal Mart on my way home, it was easy to get a few boxes.
    Now?
    Coming back this weekend from Michigan I stopped at FT Wayne's Rural King, they had plenty, for now, but there's no Rural King In Marion, or Hamilton County close by.
    Greenwoods out of my way but Ill be ammo shopping there too I see now.
    Yes LGS has ammo, Cabellas, Dicks, Gander, but at a higher cost.

1775usmarine

Sleeper
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    81   0   0
    Feb 15, 2013
    IN
    I had just gotten into buying my first handgun when sandy hook happened. So I wasnt stocked up. As prices came down I started buying and then got into reloading. Now I've been stocking on reloading components. Same with casting just starting but working on securing free or cheap lead.

bgcatty

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Sep 9, 2011
    Carmel
    To make you happy and have an answer to the OP’s initial question, I’ve got a couple of bricks of Remington .22 LR I’m will to sell for $75/brick? LOL!

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Obama didn't cause the ammo shortage, it was "us."

The flippers might return, but it won't be soon. A lot of "us" that fueled that fire have lost their marks.

There is no panic yet. A lot of folks cannot even recognize this OC banning in major retailers for what it really is. :dunno:

KokomoDave

Enigma Suspect
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    75   0   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Kokomo
    Depends, I shoot twice a month rotating calibers and pistols, when I bought bulk, I found SGAMMO.COM my place to go, still is, but since I shopped the 96th St Fishers, Wal Mart or Beach Grove Wal Mart on my way home, it was easy to get a few boxes.
    Now?
    Coming back this weekend from Michigan I stopped at FT Wayne's Rural King, they had plenty, for now, but there's no Rural King In Marion, or Hamilton County close by.
    Greenwoods out of my way but Ill be ammo shopping there too I see now.
    Yes LGS has ammo, Cabellas, Dicks, Gander, but at a higher cost.

There is a RK in Kokomo that is usually well stocked. Gotta still buy everything in the Gun Barn but beats standing in a long line in front. If you go there, tell Rob (round about cousin) I said Hi!

NKBJ

at the ark
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2010
    Found a box of Remington Hi-Speed Kleanbore 6mm in the rebuilding of the hobby room.
    The price tag says Hasse Bros, Llano, Texas, $5.00.
    I got a pretty nice buck with that Remington 700 in '72 or '73.

inchrisin

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 8, 2015
    Indianapolis

I'll probably vote for you too. :)

inchrisin

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 8, 2015
    Indianapolis
    I believe it's mostly because most gun owners are highly reactionary. Just the fact that likely most of us are "CCW" holders and reading up on topics probably puts us in the top 10% of being informed on the issues and general 2A concerns. I believe the other 90% assume that as long as there isn't a Dem in the White House, that it's party time. As we're seeing, that may not be the case.

And yes, most of us who got caught with our pants down during the Obama years have learned our lesson and stocked up. I have enough .22 to go for a very, very, long time and will probably buy an equal amount between now and 2020 (hoping to get up to where I seriously question whether or not I could use it all in a lifetime).

That said, I still see prices as being inflated. .22 is at least double what it was 10 years ago. .45 and 9 seem to have outpaced inflation, but not nearly so much as deuce-deuce.

But you've got to see that the writing's on the wall, right? Right-leaning president who took NRA money to get elected has done more damage in 4 years to our 2A than Obama did in 8. Within a week all major grocery stores and pharmacies have asked us not to open-carry in their stores. I went into Kroger this week and open-carried. Not usual for me, but I got into it with the manager. He told me that open-carry scares people. I told him that making your store political and dividing our nation by infringing on our rights scares people.

Top Bottom