• ...and so much more!
  • Ndavid45

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 83.3%
    10   2   0
    Apr 29, 2019
    Indianapolis
    https://sharpshooter-22lr-reloader.myshopify.com/

Came across something called sharpshooter 22lr reloaded. While it doesn't look practical at all, I had no idea this was even a thing. Ive got questions. For the price you could buy thousands of 22 rounds so does it really make since from a prepping standpoint? Can they made to be reliable compared to factory rimfire ammo? Anyone have hands on experience with this product?
    :popcorn:

spencer rifle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Scrounging brass
    This gained attention during the last "ammo shortage." Kind of like reloading Berdan - interesting experience, lots of work, not cost effective or particularly practical, and the addition of dealing with the previously impinged rim.

4TheResistance

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Jul 19, 2010
    Galveston, 46932
    I bought one of those kits. I also bought the sizing die separate, which is a must if you want to actually be able to chamber the rounds you painstakingly reloaded.
    I have done around 300rds. Loaded some with black powder, even made some gun cotton and loaded them into some 22lr.

I made a steel punch to help remove the previous firing pin strike. After that, scrape the rim to remove old burnt crud. Anneal with a torch then ultrasonic clean followed by tumble to dry. Now your ready to prime. You follow the instructions and basically make very very fine black powder with crushed glass in it. I made a dedicated dipper for the priming compound so I could get consistent priming charges. Put your priming powder in the case then add a drop or two of alcohol and use a toothpick or something similar to force the mix into the rim. I used acetone for the priming slurry as it dried completely in less than 10 minutes. Finally your ready for powder, bullet, and crimp.

The mold works pretty well but the handles get extremely hot. I made wooden handles and screwed them onto the aluminum ones. I also drilled out the rivet used on the hinge and replaced with a bolt and lock nut to keep everything lined up.

I had pretty good luck with my reloads. I always had a few that would need struck twice or rotated to a different spot. I also did run into a few that wouldn't fire no matter what I did. So on par with thunderbolts reliability lol.
    Something to keep in mind is no matter what your using for propellant, the reloads are going to be corrosive because of the black powder priming.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    I seem to remember Vernon Speer making .223 projectiles out of 22lr casing in the past. Not exactly reloading but still putting them to some use.

4TheResistance

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Jul 19, 2010
    Galveston, 46932
    I have done that as well. I bought the dies from colt carpenter(found him online) 6-7yrs ago. Not sure if he still makes them. Almost as labor intensive.

Both are good to have and know how to use, but not practical unless it really is a shtf scenario.

1nderbeard

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Apr 3, 2017
    Hendricks County
    If things are so bad that I'm having to reload 22lr in an apocalyptic scenario I think I'll just bow out and go on to my great reward. Otherwise it's hard to beat .10 a pop.

Top Bottom