Testing ammo for EDC in my new S&W Shield 2.0 9mm.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • WanderingSol07

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 7, 2017
    North Central
    Just bought a S&W Shield 2.0 in 9mm. This gun is fun to shoot! Have run 150 rounds of Federal FMJ (range ammo) through it so far. Not a single issue other than the magazines (7 & 8) could only get 5 in at first. After 150 rounds getting 6 & 7 into them now.

Anyway, your thoughts on testing ammo to decide what to carry. I suspect this pistol will shoot everything just fine, rented an identical gun at LGS, I never had an issue, they say it was never reported with an issue.

So on to the mechanics, I bought 100 rounds of 3 flavors of JHP. What do you do when comparing ammo? I am thinking shooting 10 to a target, 10 of type 1, 10 of type 2 and 10 of type 3, and compare grouping and writing down what it feels like. I can probably do 150 rounds total before getting tired enough it will affect my accuracy. That would be 5 targets of 10 rounds for each flavor for 15 targets. (I print my own on 8.5" x 11"). Will shoot from 7 yards.

This is just the start but thought I would ask for input before I put my method in stone.

Thanks!

gmcttr

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    May 22, 2013
    Columbus
    I studied up on what ammo did best in penetration and expansion and Federal HST was always high on the list. It has been more accurate than FMJ ammo in all of my 9mm and 45 ACP pistols and with the exception of one gun combined with one weight bullet has been exceptionally reliable.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    Gold Dots, HST, Ranger T series. I'd try all 3 in different weights see which ones are reliable, and most accurate out of your pistol.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    My Shield 1.0 will eat FMJ like no one's business. Brass, steel, aluminum. No problem at all.

But I recently found out it does NOT like Federal HiShok JHP.

So - once you get several hundred FMJ rounds through it - I suggest investing in a box of 3-4-5 different defensive loads and trying them out one at a time. Then I suggest you buy as much as you can of a load (or two) that it likes - and then shoot a few hundred rounds of it.

Airtevron1

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Sep 10, 2019
    IN
    Local law enforcement uses Gold Dots, but I like 147 gr HST. Shot as many as you can afford to ensure operation.

Airtevron1

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Sep 10, 2019
    IN
    No, no, no, I'm not asking what ammo is best for you, I'm asking what method did you use to test ammo to find the best to use for your gun.

Thanks,
    Tim.

OH, I researched the performance of many brands, then slowly started trying the different ones to ensure operation and accuracy. Some seem more accurate or have less flash than others.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    No, no, no, I'm not asking what ammo is best for you, I'm asking what method did you use to test ammo to find the best to use for your gun.

Thanks,
    Tim.
    Do you have a preferred ammo for other 9mm handguns? I use the same 147gr HSTs for all of my 9s. I bought it in bulk, and when I get a new one I'll run a hundred through it to make sure there are no feeding issues.

I wouldn't want to stock a different ammo for each of my guns of the same caliber.

Goodcat

From a place you cannot see…
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    151   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    New Pal
    I loaded in some 124gr gold dot short barrels to make sure my new p365 ran and stopped after 100. I’ve found, most modern self defense ammo, all my reloads and most factory brand pistol ammo will outshoot most amateur handgun shooters. I can hit a 8” plate at 25 yards with my 115gr reloads or 124gr carry ammo repeatably and thats accurate enough for me.

OutdoorDad

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 19, 2015
    Indianapolis

Thanks,
    Tim.

I think we've all (at one time or another) used hobos down by the train tracks.

KIDDING!!

A few rounds of well reviewed defensive ammo. See which is most consistent. I found in 9mm that I like Critical Defense (oddly, I have a Savage Anschutz in 22magnum that loves the Critical Defense more than the pointier variety of .22mag)

Tight groups with a reputable factory offering.

Yes, I roll my own. But I'd rather shoot a factory load when important things are on the line. '''

Goodcat

From a place you cannot see…
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    151   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    New Pal
    I think what most are getting at, you may be overthinking this. Most any modern self defense ammo is a viable solution. Most modern handguns will run most modern self defense ammo. Most of it will shoot very similar as far as accuracy goes in your hand gun.

Not all, but many people overly concerned about a 5” group at 25 yards vs a 10” group don’t train in gun fighting. If there is something you like, or find a good deal on, run a couple boxes, run it, and buy in bulk.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008

Thanks,
    Tim.

I love that you're asking about the thinking process and not just the typical gear questions online. Keep using your head, you're on the right track.

When I pick a caliber/bullet/whatever combination I do so with a purpose in mind. When it's a carry every day to bet my life and those I love and those around me kind of thing I look at it like a worst case scenario. When I look at it like that I want every bit of horsepower I can get out of whatever combo I've decided on so for me I really focus in on the heaviest bullet weight I can get in whatever caliber I'm looking at. I do the same thing for hunting.

Once I've got a few ideas of what rounds would fit what I'm looking at I buy a box or two of each to see if and how well they function before buying a whole lot more to test later. Not all hollow points feed and function equally. In my case, I started with Federal HST 147gr and bought a few boxes. Since those functioned, I bought a whole lot more. When I see if ammo is going to work in my gun I pound the rounds through it. I shoot as fast as I possibly can and hit the target, reload, repeat. If you ever had to use the gun, it'd be quick and fast, not shooting slowly and patiently in a propper stance at the range.

Where you're going to find yourself mentally getting stuck is when you've reached that cut off point of wondering when it's been enough ammo. Personally I like a couple hundred of regular cheap training ammo. I also like at least a hundred of whatever I'm considering if not a couple hundred of them through the gun before committing to any factory load to stake your life on.

I currently EDC a Shield 9mm 2.0. That gun replaced my EDC shield 9mm gen 1, so I've got some familiarity with the gun(s). I chose the Federal HST 147gr hollow points and they're an outstanding bullet. There's a reason you've read about that load a lot on this thread already and I think IRAQVETERAN8888 made a video and mentioned he carrys that ammo in his shield. Just throwing that out there too.

Ruger_Ronin

Turkey Herder
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 22, 2017
    Outer Heaven
    The "Dot Torture" target is a great way to check grouping. Even if you don't follow the instructions (for drawing/c.o.f.) because you are in an indoor range, it makes a great 7y target for pistol. I print mine on letter size as well. Here's a pic to save for your press...
    Edit: here's a link in case the pic downloads grainy. http://pistol-training.com/drills/dot-torture
    1f2d35c2e0b7a31a15fdc5a1b1c96f9f.jpg

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    Makes sure it runs in the gun.

Know how it groups at the longest distance in your house.

Know the point of impact at 25 to 30 yards.

In my M&P jacketed bullets group very differently.

AjKilgore

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 9, 2019
    Northern Area
    My Shield 1.0 will eat FMJ like no one's business. Brass, steel, aluminum. No problem at all.

But I recently found out it does NOT like Federal HiShok JHP.

So - once you get several hundred FMJ rounds through it - I suggest investing in a box of 3-4-5 different defensive loads and trying them out one at a time. Then I suggest you buy as much as you can of a load (or two) that it likes - and then shoot a few hundred rounds of it.

Now i know i will get hate for this but i put 1000 steel cased 124gr through my shield, and then another 600 Brass. Took the gun to a gunsmith to check and see what needed to be replaced or fixed and he said the gun was still in decent shape. I love it and have now strictly stuck to brass but 1000 rounds for 125$ was too good to pass up for me. I actually carry my Shield with 147 Grain and i have yet to have an issue. I do however never full load the mags since they seem to every so often jam on the 2nd bullet(147 only).

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    Now i know i will get hate for this but i put 1000 steel cased 124gr through my shield, and then another 600 Brass. Took the gun to a gunsmith to check and see what needed to be replaced or fixed and he said the gun was still in decent shape. I love it and have now strictly stuck to brass but 1000 rounds for 125$ was too good to pass up for me. I actually carry my Shield with 147 Grain and i have yet to have an issue. I do however never full load the mags since they seem to every so often jam on the 2nd bullet(147 only).

No reason for any hate! Nothing wrong with this post or methodology at all.

jerrob

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 1, 2013
    Cumberland Plateau
    I took all of my 9mm ( Bereetta, Shield and Sig). I purchased several brands in several bullet weights and whichever ammo shot best across the 3 pistols was my choice.
    FWIW Fed HST 147gr.

Top Bottom