Join INGunOwners For Free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Plinker

User Info Menu

Testing ammo for EDC in my new S&W Shield 2.0 9mm.

Just bought a S&W Shield 2.0 in 9mm. This gun is fun to shoot! Have run 150 rounds of Federal FMJ (range ammo) through it so far. Not a single issue other than the magazines (7 & 8) could only get 5 in at first. After 150 rounds getting 6 & 7 into them now.

Anyway, your thoughts on testing ammo to decide what to carry. I suspect this pistol will shoot everything just fine, rented an identical gun at LGS, I never had an issue, they say it was never reported with an issue.

So on to the mechanics, I bought 100 rounds of 3 flavors of JHP. What do you do when comparing ammo? I am thinking shooting 10 to a target, 10 of type 1, 10 of type 2 and 10 of type 3, and compare grouping and writing down what it feels like. I can probably do 150 rounds total before getting tired enough it will affect my accuracy. That would be 5 targets of 10 rounds for each flavor for 15 targets. (I print my own on 8.5" x 11"). Will shoot from 7 yards.

This is just the start but thought I would ask for input before I put my method in stone.

Thanks!

Expert

User Info Menu

I studied up on what ammo did best in penetration and expansion and Federal HST was always high on the list. It has been more accurate than FMJ ammo in all of my 9mm and 45 ACP pistols and with the exception of one gun combined with one weight bullet has been exceptionally reliable.

Plinker

User Info Menu

124gr Speer gold dots

User Info Menu

Gold Dots, HST, Ranger T series. I'd try all 3 in different weights see which ones are reliable, and most accurate out of your pistol.
    Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends.

User Info Menu

My Shield 1.0 will eat FMJ like no one's business. Brass, steel, aluminum. No problem at all.

But I recently found out it does NOT like Federal HiShok JHP.

So - once you get several hundred FMJ rounds through it - I suggest investing in a box of 3-4-5 different defensive loads and trying them out one at a time. Then I suggest you buy as much as you can of a load (or two) that it likes - and then shoot a few hundred rounds of it.
    Amazing Grace, how sweet was her sound.

User Info Menu

Local law enforcement uses Gold Dots, but I like 147 gr HST. Shot as many as you can afford to ensure operation.

Plinker

User Info Menu

No, no, no, I'm not asking what ammo is best for you, I'm asking what method did you use to test ammo to find the best to use for your gun.

Thanks,
    Tim.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by WanderingSol07 View Post
    No, no, no, I'm not asking what ammo is best for you, I'm asking what method did you use to test ammo to find the best to use for your gun.

Thanks,
    Tim.
    OH, I researched the performance of many brands, then slowly started trying the different ones to ensure operation and accuracy. Some seem more accurate or have less flash than others.

Plinker

User Info Menu

For the magazine loading, I use the maglula Uplula to load the S&W magazines works great on the last couple rounds.

KLB

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by WanderingSol07 View Post

Thanks,
    Tim.
    Do you have a preferred ammo for other 9mm handguns? I use the same 147gr HSTs for all of my 9s. I bought it in bulk, and when I get a new one I'll run a hundred through it to make sure there are no feeding issues.

I wouldn't want to stock a different ammo for each of my guns of the same caliber.
    They shouldn't just drop a hellfire missile on your café experience...Rand Paul

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast