• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Burchamj

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 25, 2019
    Bloomington
    Hey all. I am looking into getting into reloading. I have done my research on everything that is going to be needed. I also read through the thread posted by linkpimp about the introduction to reloading and kind of where to start. I understand everything mechanical about it and how the process works. Really, what I want to know is, do any of you have specific brands for materials (ie. bullets, casings, primers, or powder) that you choose over the other? Or are most decisions made on by price/what's available? I understand everyone will have a different answer, but that's fine and infact what I expect. There shouldn't be just one brand that rules the industry. I also understand that different bullets may/will require different powders. Thanks in advance for all the help.

harleymac1

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 19, 2013
    Morgan County
    Reloading components are going to be dependent on what you want the load to do as well as the firearm you are using. Are you a plinker? Are you a competitive shooter? Are you into long distance rifle accuracy? All these will play a part on your choice of projectile, powder, and primers. Powders vary by burn rates as well as many other factors. Projectile shape and weight will change with the purpose. Primers have different levels of hardness and some may not be as dependable as others when it comes to the force produced by your firing pin mechanism. My suggestion, and I hope others will correct me if they think I am wrong (I have only been reloading a few years), is too identify what type of shooting you want to do and then seek out further info for that type. Good Luck and welcome to the addiction.

Last edited:

spencer rifle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Scrounging brass
    ^^This.
    But if you're looking for some specifics...
    I do a lot of 9mm. Brass - not picky. Usually what I just burned at the range, but I don't really like S&B because their primers are harder to remove. Primers - been using a lot of Wolf, though it seems a bit hard, but hasn't caused significant problems. Powder - Clays, since I can also use it for shotgun, though it requires more precise measurement due to possible pressure spikes. Much cleaner that what I used to use (Power Pistol), and takes less powder. Projectiles - 124 grain, currently really like RMR, but used a lot of Montana Gold previously. My practice rounds are all JHP, since that is what I will be carrying.

Trapper Jim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2012
    Arcadia
    Thanks for the replies guys. I know I've got a long way to go, but this is a good start. I appreciate the information.

Many might not not agree but I stay with American products across the board. I’ve seen too many trying to put lipstick on pig with foreign components.

Misfires, chamber issues manufacturing specs are all enough to deal with let alone inferior Yugoslavia crap. But where you live.

Last edited:

crewchief888

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 13, 2016
    NWI
    i shoot, and reload 45acp for USPSA.
    brass? don't care about brands, as long as it clean up fairly well in the tumbler, and isn't cracked it gets run through the press.
    primers? ive loaded Winchester primers for almost as long as ive been reloading (25 years), nothing is gonna change
    powder? ive loaded several different powders, been loading with universal for quite a while, only way I might change is if supplies dried up. then i'd go back to clays
    bullets? been loading the same weight/type of bullet for 25 years. last time I ordered lead, shipping 1200 miles was gonna kill me, I found another caster in Pennsylvania with much cheaper shipping options

I load 155gr LSWC in 45acp for USPSA open...
    some say i'm a bit strange :nuts:

:cheers:

Fullmag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Sep 4, 2011
    RCBS customers service has been awesome over the years. I mostly like their stuff. Also own Lee, Dillon and Hornady some bought new, others used. I prefer clean burning powders with broader min/max loads. Be more specific what you are thinking about loading. Winter months are the best time reload.

Bennettjh

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Columbus
    I've been saving brass since I started shooting, hoping someday to reload. Now that I am, I have plenty of brass. I don't do any competition or long-range shooting. Just plinking.

I use two powders, TiteGroup for 9 and .380, and Varget for .223 and eventually .30-06. I have a couple other rifle powders to experiment with to get a good balance between those two as well.

Bullets are bulk FMJ from my LGS, or if an online retailer has a good sale, I'll order 500 or so. Primers are Winchester or CCI, whichever is available.

billybob44

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    383   0   0
    Sep 22, 2010
    In the Man Cave
    My 2 Cents worth..

Don't know what your loading for, but across the board CCI or Winchester are the most popular primers-For a reason=they do give good service+are usually priced fair.

You will not have as much problems with rifle as you will handgun on your powder choices...For a new loader for handgun it is suggested (Wisely) that you stick to a powder that fills the case over half way.

Double charges are EASY to do with light charges of fast burning pistol powder. I would suggest WW-231/HP-38, Unique, in some cases Power Pistol for your powder choices, in that order.
    Until you get to know your way around a press, stay away from Bullseye, TiteGroup, Clays, AA#2. These are VERY Fast burning powders and are EASY to Double charge (some cases TRIPLE Charge) a pistol case and will give you problems.
    Buy yourself several good reloading books (ABC's of Reloading, Lyman 49th, and the Lee Handloading Manual). Read, and understand what you are doing and have FUN...Bill.

Burchamj

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 25, 2019
    Bloomington
    Hey everyone. I just want to say thanks for all the replies. Sorry, I realize that I hadn't said much about my plans for reloading. So, I shoot mainly 9mm and .223. I'm hoping to eventually get into .45 as well with some AR pistols but that'll be a little later down the road so I'm focused mainly on the 9 and .223. I dont do any type of competition shooting, however I would like to get into that as well at some point. With how much I enjoy shooting, it'd be fun to turn it into a sport.

harleymac1

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 19, 2013
    Morgan County
    I spewed alot of info without telling you what I use. Brass is mixed headstamp from a local range. I can buy a bucket of approx 8000 cases for $125. Primers has always been CCI small pistol. I am finishing up stock on powder and projectiles. I have been loading 9mm plinking with Extreme 115 gr plated and Hodgdon Longshot powder. I just purchased a bottle of Alliant Sport Pistol and will start loading that over 125 gr Blue Bullets for USPSA. I want to get all the dies for .223 and start reloading that as well. And, since the wife wants to get a .380 might start that too.

Bobby

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 14, 2008
    Muncie/New Castle
    My goals for reloading is getting my price per round as low as possible and the ability to make my own ammunition in times of shortages, i.e. the months after Sandy Hook. I look to places like American Reloading, Everglades Ammo, and Rocky Mountain Reloading for bullets. Powders and primers I usually get locally because of Hazmat fees.

For pistol powder, stocking up on versatile powder like Titegroup means you can make whatever pistol cartridge you want whether it be regular or magnum rounds. To achieve my goals, I try to stay away from specialized powders or rounds. Going forward, I plan to stockpile ammunition or reloading components for 9mm, .223/556, and 308 Win. I will also have .22lr, 45 ACP, and 44 Magnum on hand but those aren't my "core" rounds.

Another tip, Trail Boss and H4895 can be used to make "reduced recoil" loads for youth or if you don't want the punishing recoil of a 308 rounds while sighting in your deer rifle. One more thing these powders can do that others can't so I will lean toward them for the versatility. Low-powered or full deer hunting loads. The ability to be used across multiple calibers. Commonly available components. In times of shortages, these will be not only easier to find, they will probably have more of a demand if you want to sell or barter them for other items.

Oh, one more thing. Winchester makes a large pistol primer that can be used for standard or magnum pistol rounds. I like to choose the items that lets me consolidate my reloading supplies so I don't have multiple products for every single caliber I plan to shoot.

Last edited:
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Oct 3, 2008
    On a hill in Perry C
    Many might not not agree but I stay with American products across the board. I’ve seen too many trying to put lipstick on pig with foreign components.

Misfires, chamber issues manufacturing specs are all enough to deal with let alone inferior Yugoslavia crap. But where you live.

:ranton:
    Why? Some of the best brass I've used comes from Europe, including Serbia. BTW, Yugoslavia hasn't existed in its original form since 1992, and then only in name until 2003. Good, nay, excellent powder from Finland and Sweden goes into that same "inferior" brass and guess what? Never a problem. I've even used some bullets from Lapua and Norma. OMG! And once upon a time long, long ago I used some LR primers from (gasp!) Canada. If you're having that many problems with your reloads, its something else besides the components.

The only .22 ammo I've had problems with? Winchester (junk best I can call it here), Federal(inaccurate, reliability problems) and Remington(ditto, and nasty dirty). Geco, RWS, Aguila, not a single problem, and more accurate to boot.

Ya know, now that I think about it, all my favorite shootin' irons with one exception are all foreign made, too. Matter of fact, the ONLY guns I've had any major problems with were all domestic production. Hmm

:ranton:

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Dhlawson
    Top Bottom