• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Raskolnikov

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 24, 2012
    Indianapolis
    (I apologize if this is a duplicate...I promise I searched before creating the thread)

Like many, I purchased a ton of ammo at Walmart over the years. Also like many, I'm disgruntled that they are discontinuing the sale of all the "fun stuff." While part of me felt like a traitor, I hit them up tonight for what will likely be my last purchases of the sort from that retailer. Barring ordering from an online retailer, no one can beat Walmart's prices. As much as I want to only buy from local gun shops, I'm always looking for the best possible deal. I won't do business with Dick's.

Other than Rural King, what other retailers are good options? Since the demand for cheap ammo isn't disappearing, who do you think will capitalize off Walmart's voluntary loss of market share?

Burchamj

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 25, 2019
    Bloomington
    I do most of my shopping online for ammo, since I can by in bulk, but I also buy at rural king or at one of my local gun shops, American Arms or Leathers Limited. It all depends on what kinda deal I can find. Good online ones are gonna be Bulkammo.com, TargetSportsUSA, LuckyGunner and a few others. Just shop around and I'm sure you'll find something you'll like.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    When I buy online it is from SGAmmo. People also mentioned TargetSports and LuckyGunner.

What is wrong with the local gun shop? Seriously guys? I help my friend part time at his gun shop and he is a good dude, goes to church, has two kids, supports local schools and the gun club. He sells 9mm for $10 a box just like WalMart. Let’s say it is a buck more a box, not like that will break up 99% of people buying ammo. Most people consider 500 rounds to be A LOT. It’s like driving all over town or waiting in a 15 minute line to save 3 cents on a gallon of gas, my time and convenience is worth more then saving $0.40 on a fillup.

COOPADUP

Accipiter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 8, 2017
    Hamilton County
    I have found that leading up to certain days such as Veterans Day there are some decent sales on bulk ammo all over the internet.
    My only issue with online purchases is having that ammo sit on my front porch all day while I'm at work.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    When I buy online it is from SGAmmo. People also mentioned TargetSports and LuckyGunner.

What is wrong with the local gun shop? Seriously guys? I help my friend part time at his gun shop and he is a good dude, goes to church, has two kids, supports local schools and the gun club. He sells 9mm for $10 a box just like WalMart. LetÂ’s say it is a buck more a box, not like that will break up 99% of people buying ammo. Most people consider 500 rounds to be A LOT. ItÂ’s like driving all over town or waiting in a 15 minute line to save 3 cents on a gallon of gas, my time and convenience is worth more then saving $0.40 on a fillup.

Vert you just won the most solid post of the day. The mind set of saving a nickel here and a dollar there might add up for some people and no knock but man what is your time/gas/patience worth to you.

Areoflyer09

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 28, 2017
    Indianapolis

What is wrong with the local gun shop? Seriously guys? I help my friend part time at his gun shop and he is a good dude, goes to church, has two kids, supports local schools and the gun club. He sells 9mm for $10 a box just like WalMart. Let’s say it is a buck more a box, not like that will break up 99% of people buying ammo. Most people consider 500 rounds to be A LOT. It’s like driving all over town or waiting in a 15 minute line to save 3 cents on a gallon of gas, my time and convenience is worth more then saving $0.40 on a fillup.

Personally, it’s because my previously preferred LGS is brutal on ammo. Last I looked they were 15-20% more per box of 9, worse on other calibers. It’s been awhile so it’s possible prices have come down, but knowing the management I feel safe assuming they haven’t.

The TargetSport Prime membership is worth it for me. 8% off the listed price and free shipping. $100 for the membership and I’ve saved $150-$175 this year.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area

Yep. Bobcat Armament gets all my ammo biz. Whether custom loads or components. Only exception is carry ammo. But we're talking plinking ammo...

Raskolnikov

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 24, 2012
    Indianapolis
    Thanks so much for all of your replies so far!

I do most of my shopping online for ammo, since I can by in bulk, but I also buy at rural king or at one of my local gun shops, American Arms or Leathers Limited. It all depends on what kinda deal I can find. Good online ones are gonna be Bulkammo.com, TargetSportsUSA, LuckyGunner and a few others. Just shop around and I'm sure you'll find something you'll like.

I should have been more clear in the OP. I've purchased online quite a few times, but I'm happy to learn about TargetSportsUSA. Didn't know about that before.

GREAT POINT! I'd more than happily spend $1 more per box for those reasons. Unfortunately, in Indy, this hasn't been the case. Rent is high, taxes are high. IF you don't mind my asking, to which gun shop are you referring?

Airtevron1

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Sep 10, 2019
    IN

Unfortunately I think a lot of LGS are their own worst enemy. Too many gouge their own customers, raise prices during panic buys etc.
    They dont deserve my money.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Thanks so much for all of your replies so far!

I should have been more clear in the OP. I've purchased online quite a few times, but I'm happy to learn about TargetSportsUSA. Didn't know about that before.

GREAT POINT! I'd more than happily spend $1 more per box for those reasons. Unfortunately, in Indy, this hasn't been the case. Rent is high, taxes are high. IF you don't mind my asking, to which gun shop are you referring?

I help at Bite the Bullet in Seymour. I try not to reference the name of the shop to much on INGO. Just trying to be polite. Mark, the owner, is a stand up guy. Yeah we get the normal they didn’t offer enough for my trade and I can get it online cheaper types of remarks. But that is the nature of a brick and mortar store. I would have to look at the price on a 1000 round case or 124 grain federal AE, but I don’t think it is out of line for some good bulk ammo.

As as a side note I just got an email that the big brown truck delivered a package from Dillon Precision today. Just like Christmas!

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Unfortunately I think a lot of LGS are their own worst enemy. Too many gouge their own customers, raise prices during panic buys etc.
    They dont deserve my money.

Local Gun Shops will price according to the market and current replacement cost. If prices surge or supply runs out at the distribution level expect prices to increase. In 2012 after Sandy Hook I remember the shop owners wife breaking down and crying in front of me. “We have a safe full of cash and no way to use it to purchase new inventory. This may put us out of business.” New inventory is the life blood of a LGS. Without that customers stop coming in to look and buy. In order for the LGS to place orders with distribution they had to put product on backorder with no option for cancellation. So when inventory became available again it all showed up at once. What do you think that did for cash flow? Rent has to be paid, employees and insurance paid. Then the “Trump Slump”. A successful business has to be able to manage their inventory.

Point is these shops are businesses and somebodies livelihood. Unfortunately it is a business operating within a politically charged atmosphere.

Lt Scott 14

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 18, 2018
    Porter County
    I don't buy a ton of ammo, but do like to look at Grab A Gun, and CDNN Sports. Yes there is shipping, but if you shop a little, it adds a bit to a box. They send me emails weekly and have other stuff besides ammo. I do live rural, so everything is 15 miles each way. Time adds up too, so between working, home duties, and sleeping, mine is short and sweet.

Agree that others can support an LGS, i have a one owner guy close, but its a round trip hour to get there. I purchased a Maverick 88 Shotgun there last week. 7 shot Security model. Great price, he sells a bunch. Bought some 00Buck, and 223cal for my AR as well.

I'm not hurt by WallyMart bailing out on honest shooters, but never really bought a lot there.
    During the Obummer years, they had 40cal, and 12 ga Shotshells. (mostly rabbit/dove rounds). Zero handgun calibers that I owned.(9mm, 45ACP, 38Spec, 380ACP) 22LR wasn't around for years!

I admit to shelving my 22lr guns, basically unknown when ammo would be available. $100 for a box of 550 plinking rounds is WRONG! Now these high priced guys have dropped to $30 and or even ? Been a couple years and I like to keep a little stored, and a little shot up. Scalpers pop up and I refuse to spend my $ on them. They put an open sore on shooters, and their stuff can sit and wait for another guy.(RE: Cheaper Than Dirt comes to mind. Scumbags)
    Sorry to rant, but I'm always watching prices, and service is worth the $. Good luck.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana

I usually buy a box of carry ammo (if they have what I need) when I visit a gun shop that I like, even though I know I can get a better price online.

BiscuitsandGravy

Future 'shootered'
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 8, 2016
    At the Ranch.
    Personally, it’s because my previously preferred LGS is brutal on ammo. Last I looked they were 15-20% more per box of 9, worse on other calibers. It’s been awhile so it’s possible prices have come down, but knowing the management I feel safe assuming they haven’t.

The TargetSport Prime membership is worth it for me. 8% off the listed price and free shipping. $100 for the membership and I’ve saved $150-$175 this year.

The TargetSport Prime membership is looking better to me... After you add up the shipping costs over time it starts to justify itself.

OP- take a look at ammoseek.

:ingo:

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    I usually buy a box of carry ammo (if they have what I need) when I visit a gun shop that I like, even though I know I can get a better price online.

You mean like 50 round boxes of 124 and 147 grain HST, standard pressure 230 grain HST and 8 pellet reduced recoil flight control? Cough...Cough.... Almost like someone is influencing a shop to stock the good stuff.

Raskolnikov

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 24, 2012
    Indianapolis
    I help at Bite the Bullet in Seymour. I try not to reference the name of the shop to much on INGO. Just trying to be polite. Mark, the owner, is a stand up guy. Yeah we get the normal they didn’t offer enough for my trade and I can get it online cheaper types of remarks. But that is the nature of a brick and mortar store. I would have to look at the price on a 1000 round case or 124 grain federal AE, but I don’t think it is out of line for some good bulk ammo.

Totally understand not wanting to mention that. Seymour isn't a bad little cruise from Indy anyway. I think the bottom line is getting out of the metro area for brick and mortar purchases. Everything is inflated.

Top Bottom