Join INGunOwners For Free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Powder Measures

User Info Menu

Powder Measures

I am in need of a good powder measure. Hate to break the bank but I have learned to buy once cry once. Looking for something to load handgun and small rifle. Should be able to handle a variety of powders. Easy to adjust. Accurate. Leaning towards an RCBS Competition (people seem to have good luck with the UniFlow), Redding or a ChargeMaster Lite. Any recommendations would be welcome.
    "Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side kid." - Han Solo

Plinker

User Info Menu

Powder Measure:
    Bench-mounted--best has been the cheap Lee PPM. It leaked with fine powders for a long time, but I simply put some paper under it and poured the leaked powder back in the hopper. Extremely consistent. Second best was the Hornady L-N-L powder measure.
    Press-mounted--I use the Lee Pro Auto-Disk a lot on my 1050s. It have been very consistent and once you know the actual packing density of your powder, you can find your own Gn/CC factor. For an adjustable cavity measure, the Hornady L-N-L is great, but I tend to use the Dillon measures as they are available and almost as consistent. I run an RCBS Lock-Out die to catch inconsistencies, but it tends to catch cases with larger/smaller internal volumes then the case I used to set it up.
    There is no powder measure that does better than +/- 0.1gn over 100 rounds, but I have never seen any effect on target.
    For powder dispensers, all I have used in an old RCBS (the Pact under the RCBS name) with the dispenser and scale separate and IR beam for communication and hated it. Bought an RCBS ChargeMaster over a decade ago and never looked back. I use it for working up loads and a powder measure for known loads.

Expert

User Info Menu

Same here... for press mounted we use the Lee Auto Drum. Accurate and low cost. Watch FortuneCookie45lc's youtubes on it. For the bench, use a Lyman Gen6. Buy it from Brownells to get lifetime warranty.

Saving our pennies for this little gem: https://www.autotrickler.com/ Talk about cry once buy once. This is it.

Good luck.

User Info Menu

I have 2 Uni-Flows and a Lee PPM. I use the Uni-Flows for 5.56 and 7.62 and the Lee for pistol. I use more ball type powder for pistol and the Lee works just fine. Also used the Lee for rifle ball powder, no problems. The Uni-Flows works better with the stick powders.
    1911s are like Glocks except they are for grown-ups.

Plinker

User Info Menu

I have to agree with Rob...RCBS Uni-Flow. Been using one for over 40 years and have never regretted it. I have both the small and large drums...ymmv

User Info Menu

I have not tried the Lee Auto Drum. I started off with the old Auto Disk and had no problems other then the plastic hoppers were chintzy. They measured accurately, just didnít match the charts. I have a Lee Rifle Powder Die. I assume that would work on any press with the Auto Disc or Drum Measures???

I would still like to get a powder throw or measure though for load development and such
    "Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side kid." - Han Solo

User Info Menu

Another vote for RCBS. I have a Uniflow with both cylinders. I also have their "Little Dandy" rotor system. RCBS has been good quality and reliable. An accurate scale is a must.
    "Oh yeah, life goes on, long after the thrill of living is gone"

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Backpacker View Post
    Another vote for RCBS. I have a Uniflow with both cylinders. I also have their "Little Dandy" rotor system. RCBS has been good quality and reliable. An accurate scale is a must.
    Yeah, Dad has had good luck with his 40 year old RCBS. I like the looks of the Competition Powder Measure with the baffle. I reload in my garage and prefer the idea of a mechanical throw to go along with my beam balance and check weights.

Plinker

User Info Menu

I have used 2 rcbs uniflows for 40+ years with no problems!

User Info Menu

We've got 3 uni-flow's for the single stage press, progressive presses are all Dillon so we have the Dillon set up for those

"Courage is Being Scared to Death, but Saddling up Anyway" - John Wayne

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast