Just a fun, hypothetical question - 7.62 or 556: which is more prevalent?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 1nderbeard

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Apr 3, 2017
    Hendricks County
    Just a thought I had. There are advocates of the 5.56 ar 15 platform and advocates of the 7.62 (AK 47 or AR15) that suggest "their" caliber would be more prevalent in the event of a doomsday event.
    What do you think?

I can see it either way.

I can't imagine the cheap Russian surplus ammo and other steel cased ammo not being everywhere because of cost for the 7.62 crowd.

I can also see the 5.56 stuff everywhere stockpiled in prepper basements.

russc2542

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Oct 24, 2015
    Columbus
    I imagine 223/556 being more common (more caches, regardless of size) vs Russian stuff will be less frequent but larger quantities in a given cache.

Spear Dane

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 4, 2015
    Kokomo area
    I posed the same question to myself. It was a multi part answer because really...it just is. 7.62, 5.56, 9mm, .38, .22, 12 gauge. You are wrong to think that anything at all will be around simply because preppers may have stocked it. As a percentage of the population we are very, very small. Instead think of what is out among the general Fudd gun owners and you realize your 2 calibers don't exist in any significant numbers...but 12 gauge and .22 does. That is why I own guns/ammo in 5 (no 38 for me) calibers.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I posed the same question to myself. It was a multi part answer because really...it just is. 7.62, 5.56, 9mm, .38, .22, 12 gauge. You are wrong to think that anything at all will be around simply because preppers may have stocked it. As a percentage of the population we are very, very small. Instead think of what is out among the general Fudd gun owners and you realize your 2 calibers don't exist in any significant numbers...but 12 gauge and .22 does. That is why I own guns/ammo in 5 (no 38 for me) calibers.

Good reasoning!

I have kept my .357 rifle though, when otherwise I might have parted with it. A good prepper should have something to shoot for all of the calibers you mentioned.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    In the US, I would think that 5.56 would be much more available.

What .gov agencies use 7.62? Police and military here all use 5.56. Plus I am betting there are a boat load more ARs than AKs here.

IUKalash429

Bullet Hose
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Apr 6, 2019
    Rum Ham
    I imagine 223/556 being more common (more caches, regardless of size) vs Russian stuff will be less frequent but larger quantities in a given cache.

+1

I know quite a few people with an AR who aren't really "AR" guys/gals at all, but I know very few people who have an AK "just because." The vast majority of folks I know who own an AK actually own several AKs because they are really into them.

Karl-just-Karl

Retired
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 5, 2014
    NE
    +1

I know quite a few people with an AR who aren't really "AR" guys/gals at all, but I know very few people who have an AK "just because." The vast majority of folks I know who own an AK actually own several AKs because they are really into them.

I+1 your +1!

I know a handful of people who have purchased an AR because it was something they though they should have "just in case". Unfortunately, I have to -0.5 because I have tried to talk them into stockpiling at least a small quantity ammo. One of those folks actually bought a case of XM193 (and they have still to take their rifle out after owning it for a year). The others think that having 150 rounds on hand is a lot. They have more than they can load in their three magazines. :rolleyes:

Granted it is less common, but having some .308 and 30-06 on hand might not be the worst idea either. For short hunting ranges here in Indiana a friend of mine insists that 12 gauge slugs are more than adequate for his hunting needs.

To the OP, after spending almost every Saturday on a gun range (winters included) for the last four years. 5.56, definitely.

gmcttr

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    May 22, 2013
    Columbus
    Just a fun hypothetical question to your fun hypothetical question.

What difference does it make? I assume the stockpiles will be heavily defended so what you have is all you get unless you are stockpiling to use as barter goods.

1nderbeard

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Apr 3, 2017
    Hendricks County
    Just a fun hypothetical question to your fun hypothetical question.

What difference does it make? I assume the stockpiles will be heavily defended so what you have is all you get unless you are stockpiling to use as barter goods.

it would matter in two scenarios:
    you only have money for one rifle. picking the rifle that will be the most economical in the event that no ammunition (or little comparatively speaking) is being manufactured for a significant time period would make the question relevat.
    Or
    in your scenario you are trying to stockpile ammo for bartering purposes. Which ammo would you select? Supply and demand would suggest that the ammo that would be less prevalent would be worth more, unless there are that much fewer of that rifle platform.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    it would matter in two scenarios:
    you only have money for one rifle. picking the rifle that will be the most economical in the event that no ammunition (or little comparatively speaking) is being manufactured for a significant time period would make the question relevat.
    Or
    in your scenario you are trying to stockpile ammo for bartering purposes. Which ammo would you select? Supply and demand would suggest that the ammo that would be less prevalent would be worth more, unless there are that much fewer of that rifle platform.
    Fewer bullets of a caliber would go hand in hand with fewer guns of that caliber. Unless a period of time has gone by and the supply of bullets has been used.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    iu

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    SHTF Scenario
    Ammo will be the currency.

I think more 5.56 will be around so that makes 7.62 (NATO) a bit more valuable just by default. I just hope I will have enough to get by.

FYI- SHTF Scenario.... A box of Thin Mints will be more valuable than a case of either caliber. But somehow chocolate never survives in my household. :(

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    7.62x39 and 5.56x45 will have hundreds of millions of rounds around the country in private stock piles. If this country got that bad off ammo would be currency.

Top Bottom