Join INGunOwners For Free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Plinker

User Info Menu

Just a fun, hypothetical question - 7.62 or 556: which is more prevalent?

Just a thought I had. There are advocates of the 5.56 ar 15 platform and advocates of the 7.62 (AK 47 or AR15) that suggest "their" caliber would be more prevalent in the event of a doomsday event.
    What do you think?

I can see it either way.

I can't imagine the cheap Russian surplus ammo and other steel cased ammo not being everywhere because of cost for the 7.62 crowd.

I can also see the 5.56 stuff everywhere stockpiled in prepper basements.

User Info Menu

I imagine 223/556 being more common (more caches, regardless of size) vs Russian stuff will be less frequent but larger quantities in a given cache.

User Info Menu

I posed the same question to myself. It was a multi part answer because really...it just is. 7.62, 5.56, 9mm, .38, .22, 12 gauge. You are wrong to think that anything at all will be around simply because preppers may have stocked it. As a percentage of the population we are very, very small. Instead think of what is out among the general Fudd gun owners and you realize your 2 calibers don't exist in any significant numbers...but 12 gauge and .22 does. That is why I own guns/ammo in 5 (no 38 for me) calibers.
    Justin B. - "Make them watch Wonder Woman. They'll molon labe after that!"

Plinker

User Info Menu

No doubt at all 22 and 12 gauge are the most common Spear Dane. I have more 22 than i know what to do with because of sales.

Grandmaster

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Spear Dane View Post
    I posed the same question to myself. It was a multi part answer because really...it just is. 7.62, 5.56, 9mm, .38, .22, 12 gauge. You are wrong to think that anything at all will be around simply because preppers may have stocked it. As a percentage of the population we are very, very small. Instead think of what is out among the general Fudd gun owners and you realize your 2 calibers don't exist in any significant numbers...but 12 gauge and .22 does. That is why I own guns/ammo in 5 (no 38 for me) calibers.
    Good reasoning!

I have kept my .357 rifle though, when otherwise I might have parted with it. A good prepper should have something to shoot for all of the calibers you mentioned.
    -----------------------------------------------
    Done, done, and I’m on to the next one...
    -----------------------------------------------

KLB

User Info Menu

In the US, I would think that 5.56 would be much more available.

What .gov agencies use 7.62? Police and military here all use 5.56. Plus I am betting there are a boat load more ARs than AKs here.
    They shouldn't just drop a hellfire missile on your café experience...Rand Paul

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by russc2542 View Post
    I imagine 223/556 being more common (more caches, regardless of size) vs Russian stuff will be less frequent but larger quantities in a given cache.
    +1

I know quite a few people with an AR who aren't really "AR" guys/gals at all, but I know very few people who have an AK "just because." The vast majority of folks I know who own an AK actually own several AKs because they are really into them.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by IUKalash429 View Post
    +1

I know quite a few people with an AR who aren't really "AR" guys/gals at all, but I know very few people who have an AK "just because." The vast majority of folks I know who own an AK actually own several AKs because they are really into them.
    I+1 your +1!

I know a handful of people who have purchased an AR because it was something they though they should have "just in case". Unfortunately, I have to -0.5 because I have tried to talk them into stockpiling at least a small quantity ammo. One of those folks actually bought a case of XM193 (and they have still to take their rifle out after owning it for a year). The others think that having 150 rounds on hand is a lot. They have more than they can load in their three magazines.

Granted it is less common, but having some .308 and 30-06 on hand might not be the worst idea either. For short hunting ranges here in Indiana a friend of mine insists that 12 gauge slugs are more than adequate for his hunting needs.

To the OP, after spending almost every Saturday on a gun range (winters included) for the last four years. 5.56, definitely.

Expert

User Info Menu

Just a fun hypothetical question to your fun hypothetical question.

What difference does it make? I assume the stockpiles will be heavily defended so what you have is all you get unless you are stockpiling to use as barter goods.

Plinker

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by gmcttr View Post
    Just a fun hypothetical question to your fun hypothetical question.

What difference does it make? I assume the stockpiles will be heavily defended so what you have is all you get unless you are stockpiling to use as barter goods.
    it would matter in two scenarios:
    you only have money for one rifle. picking the rifle that will be the most economical in the event that no ammunition (or little comparatively speaking) is being manufactured for a significant time period would make the question relevat.
    Or
    in your scenario you are trying to stockpile ammo for bartering purposes. Which ammo would you select? Supply and demand would suggest that the ammo that would be less prevalent would be worth more, unless there are that much fewer of that rifle platform.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast