Join INGunOwners For Free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

User Info Menu

Equipment - Case Prep

Setting up to start reloading .223 & .308. I have not yet purchased any tools for Trimming/Chamfering or Swagging/Reaming primer pockets. Looking for suggestions to get setup correctly keeping in mind price and handling time. For example I donít think I will spend $400 on a Dillon trimmer.

Space on my bench is limited but available.

Press: Dillon 550b
    * I do have a couple nice drills that I can devote to the task if that is part of the solution.

1) Frankford Arsenal Platinum case prep center. Looks like it will trim cases. Also takes other tools so I should be able to us FA or Lyman bits to ream primer pockets.

2) I see a swagger that replaces the primer feed on the 550 press. Gets good reviews but will void the Dillon warranty. Basically I can size or universal deprime then swag in station 1. Which leads to 3:

3) Lee trim die and trimmer in a drill. It should fit in station 3 on the press. My concern is the mess it will leave on the shell plate. I can not find any feed back on people using this with a 550. I am not against purchasing a small Lee C press if this is the way to go.

4) some type of Lyman or Hornady trimmer.

4) Lyman hand tools to prep the primer pockets and chamfer. That I use with a trim option.
    "Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side kid." - Han Solo

User Info Menu

I am going to start reloading .223 also and need some "stuff" so I'll subscribe and see what happens.
    Outlier

User Info Menu

For trimming I use the lee case length gauge and a drill. I can trim to length, debut, and chamfered all in 1step. I do want to make a rig that holds my drill secure however. Just haven't gotten around to that yet. I tend to only reload in the winter but do my trimming in the summer while sitting out on the patio. I just use old shirts/towels to catch the trimmings while I do it. Works well enough for me. I probably only shoot 2k 223 and maybe 500 rounds of 308 a year so this may not be the most efficient way if you're looking to resize any more than that per year

Primer pockets I just do by hand with a lee primer pocket tool.

User Info Menu

I resize and deprime in the reloading room. Then I clamp my drill in a vice and use a worlds finest trimmer. I Do this in the garage as it flings brass shavings. Get in the groove and you can trim 1k in a little over an hour.

Chamfer and such on a lyman case prep machine if needed.

Grandmaster

User Info Menu

I use WFT trimmers and the Lyman case prep center. To qualify, I'm relatively new to rifle case prep.
    -----------------------------------------------
    Done, done, and Iím on to the next one...
    -----------------------------------------------

User Info Menu

I have the Frankford Arsenal Platinum case prep center.
    Works great.
    Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends.

User Info Menu

I will second JHB's recommendation for the Little Crow Worlds Finest Trimmer in .223. Good stuff.
    Veterans Crisis Line 1-800-273-8255 press 1 to talk to someone now or text 838255 available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 365 days a year.

User Info Menu

I size and deprime on a RCBS Rockchucker
    Then I trim and do the chamfers.
    Posting from my phone, so its difficult to link but search in this section for the poor mans Girdaul trimmer, I copied his idea and it works great
    "Courage is Being Scared to Death, but Saddling up Anyway" - John Wayne

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfhound View Post
    I will second JHB's recommendation for the Little Crow Worlds Finest Trimmer in .223. Good stuff.
    I have heard the Little Crow trimmer is good. But at $75 a pop that could get expensive if I add a third cartridge. Not out of the question, but dang.

I have been eyeballing the Dillon swagger.

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side kid." - Han Solo

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast