• ...and so much more!
  • schmart

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 10, 2014
    Lafayette
    Hello all.

This weekend I was near a situation where a person had a 9mm cartridge w/ no powder which barely pushed the bullet into the barrel. He then chambered the next round but had to force the slide into battery (so the bullets were touching) and fired it off. Both bullets then hit the paper target.

Although there are no obvious visible problems w/ the barrel, he is VERY concerned about it now.
    Wondering if someone w/ Quickload could estimate what the pressure would be in a 9 mm load w/ a 248 grain plated bullet (e.g. 2@124gn) and 3.8 grains of titegroup. Then how does that pressure compare to +P+ loads that the firearm is rated for.

Appreciate the help!
    Rick

LeverGunFan

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 15, 2008
    Bartholomew County
    I took a stab at this.... Quickload uses bullet files to define the weight and engraving force of the bullet. I used the Ranier 124 grain bullet, and manually changed the weight to 248 grains, but I did not attempt to change any other bullet parameters just to see what the results would be. With 3.8 grains of Titegroup, the pressure was slightly below the +P maximum, but I wouldn't put much faith in this result since it's using the higher weight but only the engraving force of one bullet. But as a ballpark figure it's not as bad as feared. If there isn't any obvious damage to the barrel, the case didn't rupture, or any other signs then he can relax a bit. Have a qualified gunsmith check it out just to be sure.

schmart

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 10, 2014
    Lafayette
    Thank you VERY much for this.

During the firing, the gun didn't show any weird signs or act any differently than a normal firing. We can't see any difference in the barrel.

Given all the evidence, it looks like we dodged a significant problem!

Thanks again!

purduepurdy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 13, 2010
    Thanks Rick for digging into this for me. The pistol is a P320 X-Five and I am said idiot behind the firearm. Feel free all to bring on your best castigation! Have reloaded 14k rounds w/o issue but obviously one left the press w/o powder.

That being said hopefully this is a lesson in how not to clear a malfunction as well. I simply thought I had a light strike, but the primer must have pushed the bullet slightly into the chamber. I guess I am surprised there was no sound to just a primer going off. I definitely did not take the time to fully assess the issue.

Here is the video:
    https://youtu.be/JZF9EHGDMl8

Ended up 3rd overall, but pretty disgusted with myself in how this all went down. Hopefully lesson learned.

John3354

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 29, 2018
    INDIANAPOLIS
    If you can look down the barrel and not notice bulging (you will notice, when looking down the rifling it is obvious), then you should be fine. Also look closely at the outside of the barrel for any cracking, but it is unlikely if the bore looks fine. You were likely saved by the fact that the bullet barely went down the bore. If the next projectile has time to accelerate before impacting the squib that is when you will have excitement. Also saving you is the heavy barrel on the X5's. I have the X5 Legion and the barrels on all the X5's are much heavier than on other pistols. More resistant to abuse such as that.

I wouldn't sweat it too much if you can't see damage.

Top Bottom