• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mergatroid

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 30, 2018
    INDIANAPOLIS
    I shoot IDPA and looking for the best fit for me and my guns.

I regularly shoot a cz 75, cz p10c, shield and full size m&p.

I have settled on CCI or Blazer 124g. stock 115 seems to be crisp and flip the gun some. 147g, the same, but I was expecting better results as they are sub-sonic. 124g seems to the most accurate and shoot the best.

Thoughts?

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I don't shoot IDPA or any competitions at this point. I have shot all those bullet weights plus 135's. I can feel some difference but the real difference for me is when I load my own.

I find it hard to compare, especially shooting different brands. 124 gr Magtechs have more felt recoil to me than 115 Blazers.

I'm not loading right now due to time constraints and the low price of 9 mm but at some point, I'll start loading my own.

If you find 124 to be the most accurate and you like them, use them!

Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    I've fired and hand rolled a bunch. Found 124's to be softer shooting and more accurate. Deciding factor is what's on sale.

Abominator

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 22, 2019
    Auburn
    I love the 150grn syntech rounds but they are expensive. I just started reloading my own and have been using SNS 125grn. They have been great, real accurate. I dont have a crono so not sure on the PF. Should be around 130ish though going off of others data.

Bennettjh

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Columbus
    I'm not too picky about factory ammo, either 115 or 124. Reloads are always 124. Just seems to be a sweet spot for my pistols.

russc2542

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Oct 24, 2015
    Columbus
    you need the total energy to be within the window to cycle the action properly plus safety margin on both sides so you won't see a huge variation from the factory. You'll get a more variation from the powder used than the pill it's pushing.

rooster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 4, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I have a load for 147 he that I used for uspsa, very soft shooting. I tried 115 and 124 but struggled to get that soft recoil and reliable cycling that I got out of the 147.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Ive still got 1500 rounds of custom 124s from Bobcat because that is what my G19 liked to eat. It was more accurate and less snappy. Been playing with some of my 147 reloads and am liking the feel of those better. And they have a higher PF. Less snap, more push... kinda like a 45

clayshooter99

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Dec 3, 2008
    I tested around 12 different factory loads thru a Wilson carbine and hands down the 147 and 124 were most accurate by a huge margin. I stopped buying 115 a couple of years ago because I just don't like the "snappiness" compared to the 124 and 147.

455 Beretta

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 20, 2013
    WLaf
    Isn’t the “snappiness” of the smaller bullets a result of manufacturers loading the casing with more powder to match the ballistics and energy of the larger bullets? It seems like if reloading with full control that you could get 115gr to be softer.

Unless working the action is compromised with the lesser powder.

Maybe the answer lies in using a different spring than a different load...

I know not of what I speak.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Isn’t the “snappiness” of the smaller bullets a result of manufacturers loading the casing with more powder to match the ballistics and energy of the larger bullets? It seems like if reloading with full control that you could get 115gr to be softer.

I used to load a 115 gr to about 850 FPS. It was a soft shooter for sure and anything I shot it in cycled fine. I am now working with a heavier bullet but haven't shot enough to have a good feel for how they perform.

I do know that my handloads all shoot softer than any factory rounds I have shot. But then again, I stay under 1000 fps and pretty much all the factory loadings are over that.

russc2542

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Oct 24, 2015
    Columbus

To a point, sorta. lighter bullets will almost always be snappier because the bullet has less mass, less inertia and therefore accelerates faster for the same force meaning it gets up to speed faster and leaves the barrel sooner. If you have a shorter time in the barrel to accelerate the bullet, you have to apply the force for acceleration over a shorter duration. The same force for a shorter duration is going to feel more snappy.

Once you get into powders and internal ballistics you get into really complicated math. powder X burns slower than powder Y but as the heat and pressure rises, powder x increases the burn rate more than Y so at the max load they have the same burn rate. pressure changes in the combustion chamber as it's expanding vs the bullet moving expanding the volume, etc

That's why many powders don't actually change that charge much for heavier bullets: the bullet accelerates slower so the combustion volume doesn't increase as quickly causing the powder to burn hotter and expand more making up for the heavier projectile. Kinda like diesel: you can extinguish a lit match in it at atmospheric conditions but get it up to a few k psi and a few hundred degrees and you can run an engine. That and the springs and gun are meant for X power and speed/mass are interchangeable in the equation but the power is pretty close.

Yes, changing springs can help in some cases.

Top Bottom