• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bigedp51

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 30, 2011
    I put too much H335 in the cattle feed and it created a hot load.

eHM6WZi.jpg

Clay Pigeon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 3, 2016
    Summitville
    Crazy heavy load or underloaded H-110? The underloaded H-110 kabooms I have seen were all actually more spectacular than that if you can believe it.

Nope 2400
    It would have been really spectacular if it had been a S&W 29.... It took a long time to figure out what happened, winter in Maryland, ammo in the car and gun in the house, first shot of the day and the pistol felt like a 38 and it went to the left when I shot it. Ruger said over load with bullseye and I said pull the cylinder and check what I had loaded. Thats why the cylinder has been spun, a letter came back to me from Ruger says OK it was a compressed load of 2400 and a cast 240 grain SWC, a standard Keith load.
    They offered me a new pistol for 125 bucks and I turned them down, I spent months getting my pistol back.
    Years latter I bought PO Ackleys hardbacks at a auction and read them. He explained that a short charge of a slow burner was as bad as a megga over load if fast burning powder. Boom, there was my answer.
    I loaded these on a Dillon 450. I bought it in Mikes infancy as a manufacturer, on the 450 you pull the handle and when its pulled down you hit the powder measure and the primer drop. I must have not pushed the measure all the way in or it had a bridge in it.

Its interesting on the Stars aligning that not only out of the 100 rounds I had loaded for that outing the first one blew it up, but neither my BIL that was standing just to my right wasn't hurt and neither was I. not a nick or scratch... I pulled the other rounds I had and none were short charged.
    We looked for hours in a few inches of snow for that half of the cylinder and it was never found, somewhere I do have the piece of brass around, it split down the side and halfway around the rim to match the cylinder.
    It was a huge learning lesson. I have had lights in the top of my presses 30+ years before the rest of the world since that lesson.

Top Bottom