• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ru44mag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 6, 2013
    At least 35 years ago, I poured lead into molds in sand I made out of chess pieces. I plan to melt them into the wheel weights I just finished sorting. I am just a little concerned because the chess pieces are so brittle. I assume they have a lot of antimony in them. I was afraid they were zinc, but after pounding the crap out of them with a hammer, and doing the same to the zinc wheel weights, I am almost certain they are just higher antimony and tin than my wheel weights. So the question is, should I just throw a few of them into about 10 pounds of wheel weights, just to be safe? By the way, after sorting 2, 5 gallon buckets of wheel weights, I feel like an expert picking out the lead from the zinc and steel. I still hit the lead with the hammer to make sure no zinc sneaks through. Oh, another question, is 25 to 30% lead the amount most are finding in the wheel weights?

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Put some of the suspect lead crumbs in white vinegar, if they bubble, you have zinc. High antimony lead is what you usually find in machined counterweights as it's easier to machine. I tend to save it back like lino and foundry type lead to harden up the less hard materials.

ru44mag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 6, 2013
    Put some of the suspect lead crumbs in white vinegar, if they bubble, you have zinc. High antimony lead is what you usually find in machined counterweights as it's easier to machine. I tend to save it back like lino and foundry type lead to harden up the less hard materials.

I tried the white vinegar. No bubbles, but I did not get bubbles with a marred zinc wheel weight either. :scratch:

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Does lead not "cure" with somewhat increased hardness over time?

I've heard that over at Cast Boolits and find it true to an extent with antimonal lead. Not sure what's going on but I've noticed older bullets being harder to run through a sizer.

ru44mag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 6, 2013
    I've heard that over at Cast Boolits and find it true to an extent with antimonal lead. Not sure what's going on but I've noticed older bullets being harder to run through a sizer.

That would make sense seeing as how I poured them in high school over 35 years ago.

Top Bottom