• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 57schwada

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 15, 2019
    Hanover
    Gents! My son and I are passing on the our shooting/hunting knowledge to the grand-kids. The kids seem inquisitive as I have a "old school" Ruger No. 1 and would like to shoot it. It's kinda punchy on the shoulder with max or off the shelf loads as it's chambered in 460 S&W. I currently have brass that is readily re-loadable. My question is, what's your idea of a low power load (powder/weight) for 200gr. bullets? Don't really care to do the 45 Colt cartridges.
    Thanks in advance!

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    If the intent is just to work up light loads for target shooting/plinking it will be hard to beat a load using Trail Boss. The Hodgdon site has load data for the .460 using Trail Boss but none with bullets as light as 200 grains.

If the intent is a low recoil hunting load, that is going to be more difficult without going the .45 Colt route.

57schwada

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 15, 2019
    Hanover
    If the intent is just to work up light loads for target shooting/plinking it will be hard to beat a load using Trail Boss. The Hodgdon site has load data for the .460 using Trail Boss but none with bullets as light as 200 grains.

If the intent is a low recoil hunting load, that is going to be more difficult without going the .45 Colt route.

Thank ya kindly two70! What's your position pertaining to the carbon buildup on the chamber wall due to using the shorter casing?

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    You're welcome. I think carbon buildup can definitely be a problem over time if you don't do a thorough cleaning between the use of the .45 LC and the .460s but personally I would be far more concerned about the risk of severely reduced loads in that big case. It can certainly be done safely but your options are much more limited.

57schwada

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 15, 2019
    Hanover
    Thanks so much two70... Now I need to run over to teh LGS and see what they have for 45 Colt hunting loads. Wander how they will print - say at 100 yds, or perhaps limit the distance to 50 yds?

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    There aren't very many commercial .45 LC hunting loads. Hornady and Barnes are the only two major brands that I know. Underwood is probably the best option for loaded hunting ammo. There are a lot more options for loading your own hunting loads in the LC. The .454 would definitely be a good choice for a hunting load if the recoil is not too heavy as AmmoMan mentioned.

John3354

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 29, 2018
    INDIANAPOLIS
    Thank ya kindly two70! What's your position pertaining to the carbon buildup on the chamber wall due to using the shorter casing?

It isn't anything to worry about. If you went to shoot a longer cartridge after shooting the shorties it may be difficult to chamber. Just keep a brush on a short cleaning rod with you to run through the chamber 2-3 times and you will be good to go.

I frequently shoot .38 Special in my .357 Magnum and switch back and forth. No big deal. I don't ever even bother brushing out the cylinder.

Top Bottom