• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ru44mag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 6, 2013
    I powder coated a bunch of 38 cal. bullets awhile back. They only required one coat. They were old ones somebody gave me. Today I powder coated a bunch of 9mm bullets I just cast myself. I had to do 3 coats to get the same result as the last time. I am wondering if it is because of the weather or maybe because the cast is so new. Maybe something else... Any ideas?

Wolfhound

Hired Goon
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Apr 11, 2011
    Henry County
    Some brands of powder coat do better than others. Also, if you are using the "shake and bake" method humidity can affect the amount of paint that stays on the bullet. My understanding is that static electricity is what causes the powder to stick and it is harder to create the static in high humidity conditions. If that makes any sense.

Snt220

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 1, 2018
    Scottsburg
    Pre heat your bullets to 100 degrees in the oven before coating. That will remove any moisture. Also make sure your container is clean and dry. Humidity will cause a lot of problems. Old powder and powder that has drawer moisture can be a problem too.

billybob44

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    385   0   0
    Sep 22, 2010
    In the Man Cave
    What works for me...

After more than a few less than perfect coatings, this is what works for me=EVERY TIME..

Take what looks clean to you-Hot water bath if you want- projectiles into a two quart stainless bowl-@ GoodWill for $.69-.99, lightly spray with Carburetor + Choke cleaner, and mix it up.
    Dry with clean cloth or paper towel, and apply heat to the bullets with a heat gun. I just use a cheap one from Harbor Freight.
    Heat until the bowl is hot to the touch, place in a #5 plastic container with your PC paint, and shake away.
    I remove the bullets with a gloved hand, and stand up on tray for baking.
    Silicone baking pans can also be had at the GoodWill stores for baking--The bullets will fall right off...Bill.

John3354

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 29, 2018
    INDIANAPOLIS
    Were you attempting to reuse powder left over from the last time you powdercoated?

I find that once I shake my bullets in powder, if that powder sits for any period of time, it will not adhere well to anything later on. Once I am done powdercoating for the day I discard any powder that I have shaken bullets in. If it is still in the can and fresh it is fine. But something about shaking the bullets in the powder, or maybe just getting it out of the can and exposing it to air, ruins its "stickiness" for applying. Try some fresh powder and you may be fine.

ru44mag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 6, 2013
    Were you attempting to reuse powder left over from the last time you powdercoated? Yes.

I find that once I shake my bullets in powder, if that powder sits for any period of time, it will not adhere well to anything later on. Once I am done powdercoating for the day I discard any powder that I have shaken bullets in. If it is still in the can and fresh it is fine. But something about shaking the bullets in the powder, or maybe just getting it out of the can and exposing it to air, ruins its "stickiness" for applying. Try some fresh powder and you may be fine.
    I have way to much in the peanut butter jar to discard, but will be much more careful in the future, so I use less, and discard little. Thanks to all.

ru44mag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 6, 2013
    Pre heat your bullets to 100 degrees in the oven before coating. That will remove any moisture. Also make sure your container is clean and dry. Humidity will cause a lot of problems. Old powder and powder that has drawer moisture can be a problem too.

I did try warming one batch. Didn't help. When I use up the old powder, I will always start fresh in the future, with clean container. Thanks!

John3354

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 29, 2018
    INDIANAPOLIS
    I have way to much in the peanut butter jar to discard, but will be much more careful in the future, so I use less, and discard little. Thanks to all.

I made the same mistake when I started, and had the same results. My first batch coated easily and over the next few batches it got to where I needed to apply a "primer coat" to get any to stick and cover. The first run through the oven would barely have a dusting. I finally diagnosed it to retumbling the powder over and over. I am guessing that the bullets smacking around press the powder together in to tiny clumps that are less likely to stick. It only gets worst the more times you retumble the same powder.

Good luck. I suggest dumping what you have that doesn't stick and starting fresh. Powder is cheap compared to your time and frustration.

ru44mag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 6, 2013
    I made the same mistake when I started, and had the same results. My first batch coated easily and over the next few batches it got to where I needed to apply a "primer coat" to get any to stick and cover. The first run through the oven would barely have a dusting. I finally diagnosed it to retumbling the powder over and over. I am guessing that the bullets smacking around press the powder together in to tiny clumps that are less likely to stick. It only gets worst the more times you retumble the same powder.

Good luck. I suggest dumping what you have that doesn't stick and starting fresh. Powder is cheap compared to your time and frustration.

:yesway: Thanks again!

Top Bottom