Join INGunOwners For Free
Results 1 to 8 of 8
  1. #1
    SSE
    SSE is offline
    Plinker

    User Info Menu

    7.62x39 into 6mm ppc ?

    Hi guys,
    The 220 Russian, 22ppc, 6mm ppc and 7.62x39 are all the same case, right ?
    So, can you just run a 7.62x39 into a 6mm ppc die and have a lot cheaper case?
    The Norma 7.62x39 is 30 cents cheaper than the 6mm per case !

  2. #2
    Master AmmoManAaron's Avatar

    User Info Menu

    It may or may not be that simple. Taking the brass from 30 cal down to 243 cal may give you excessive neck wall thickness. Which means you would have to inside ream, or outside neck turn, your cases - neither of which is fun or quick.

    I haven't messed with that caliber, so I can't say for certain, but that's my suspicion.

    From what little I know in this area, they all use the same case head, but the 6mm PPC was originally made by necking up the 220 Russian (same case head as 7.62x39, but when the 220 Russian was manufactured the case was formed as it's own case and not necked down from 7.62x39 stock on hand).
    "2016: The year that hackers became more trusted than government or reporters."

  3. #3
    SSE
    SSE is offline
    Plinker

    User Info Menu

    I might be getting a benchrest rifle in 6 ppc that needs the necks turned to .262 anyway so turning will be a must no matter what.
    I will want 200 to 300 cases for it as I am going to use it on a PD trip so I need to cut the cost down on the cases.

  4. #4
    Grandmaster patience0830's Avatar

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by SSE View Post
    I might be getting a benchrest rifle in 6 ppc that needs the necks turned to .262 anyway so turning will be a must no matter what.
    I will want 200 to 300 cases for it as I am going to use it on a PD trip so I need to cut the cost down on the cases.
    You'll need more than 300 cases for prairie dogging unless you are taking other rifles in different calibers.
    Parkerizing lollipops since 1973.

  5. #5
    SSE
    SSE is offline
    Plinker

    User Info Menu

    Right now I am up to 4-.223 rifles, 1-220 swift, 1-22ppc + 6ppc 1-308, 1-6.5 and the list is growing.

  6. #6
    Expert Clay Pigeon's Avatar

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by SSE View Post
    Hi guys,
    The 220 Russian, 22ppc, 6mm ppc and 7.62x39 are all the same case, right ?
    So, can you just run a 7.62x39 into a 6mm ppc die and have a lot cheaper case?
    The Norma 7.62x39 is 30 cents cheaper than the 6mm per case !
    I have been forming cases for better than 40 years, I will always but the correctly marked cases if they are available from one of the mainstream manufacturers.

    I havent researched forming ppc cases, but I see that Reddings offers a die just for 7.62x39 to 6mm ppc.
    Many times there is more than one way to form cases with easily and moderately priced dies...

    I'm not willing to form, trim, turn necks, fire-form and then load over thirty bucks a hundred cases.
    And even with buying the correct cases from Norma you still might have to turn necks, depending upon the rifles chamber.
    "Too much agreement kills a chat." ~Eldridge Cleaver

  7. #7
    SSE
    SSE is offline
    Plinker

    User Info Menu

    Well Clay Pigeon, you and I must be close to the same age. I have been at it for about 50 years, and if you ever told me I was going to spend this much time, money, and effort into loading so few rounds, I would have told you NO WAY ! But, things change, Now getting all rds. into the same hole is more interesting than it used to be. With the rifle I am getting, turning necks is a must. Thanks for the tip on the Redding die.

  8. #8
    Marksman

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by AmmoManAaron View Post
    It may or may not be that simple. Taking the brass from 30 cal down to 243 cal may give you excessive neck wall thickness. Which means you would have to inside ream, or outside neck turn, your cases - neither of which is fun or quick. The 6mm PPC was originally made by necking up the 220 Russian (same case head as 7.62x39, but when the 220 Russian was manufactured the case was formed as it's own case and not necked down from 7.62x39 stock on hand).
    Made from 220 because it's easier to neck up to 6mm than neck down from 30 cal. No need or less need to turn necks, no donut on the inside, etc. At worst, outside turn just to clean up.


Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Button Dodge